Author Topic: Cowboy is back in the Emergency Room  (Read 43418 times)

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy is back in the Emergency Room
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2005, 09:46:59 am »
I'll be praying for cowboy.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2005, 10:43:24 am »
Here's the morning report.  He's doing better...sort of!  NO VOMITING!!  NO DIARRHEA!!!!  YEA!!!!!  but now his bladder is enlarged and they don't know why.  I think it's because he only likes to pee at home and he's holding it.  Anyway, he's going to get that checked out today when his doc comes in.   I STILL THINK IT'S ALL GOOD NEWS!!!  He's such a good boy!!!  He also got a couple of tablespoons of ID and didn't like it very well (he's never had canned food and ID is particularly bland!) so I'm going to boil up a couple of chicken breasts for him this morning and run it down to him.  I want him home!!  He's got a party to get to!!!  Friends to celebrate and thank for cheering him on!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anakalia

« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2005, 10:54:50 am »
OH that sounds wonderful!!  NO vomiting or diarrhea is a good thing!!  Hopefully he can come home soon!! ;D

Andi

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2005, 11:54:47 am »
YAY!! I've got the vodka and appletini mix ready for Thursday or Friday! Maybe they'll name this new disease after Cowboy!

Cowboy-itis! Cowboy Syndrome!

And to get better, you need the Cowboy Cure!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Icerotti

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2005, 12:45:55 pm »
Sound like Cowboy is on the mend..Way to go Big Boy!!!!
Sending you positive vibes Cowboy...  ;D

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2005, 09:25:21 pm »
It is sooo good to hear everything is better.... And who doesn't love a reason to party! I am certain goint to raise a glass on friday if he gets home.  You don't live far from us so let me know if there is anything tom shakespear and i can do to help you out!

k2campbell

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2005, 10:34:21 pm »
Whew - so glad to hear Cowboy is feeling better!  EXCELLENT! ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2005, 11:27:47 pm »
Today's up-date:  ALL EXCELLENT STUFF....AND HE'S GOING TO COME HOME TOMORROW IF HE STAYS ON TRACT!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2005, 11:33:24 pm »
Today's up-date:  ALL EXCELLENT STUFF....AND HE'S GOING TO COME HOME TOMORROW IF HE STAYS ON TRACT!!!

YAY!!! :)
RIP former BPO

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2005, 11:35:17 pm »

That's great news!

"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2005, 11:43:24 pm »
HE'S GOING TO COME HOME TOMORROW IF HE STAYS ON TRACT!!!

GREAT NEWS!!

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Cindy

Let the drinking begin.....Here's to Cowboy's continued recovery.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 11:43:59 pm by The Brindle Pack »

Kiahpyr

« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2005, 11:51:59 pm »
That's WONDERFUL!!!!!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2005, 12:06:50 am »
Yippee!!!  Go Cowboy!  I'm so glad to hear he gets to come home soon.  We're still sending you good wishes too.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2005, 01:46:59 am »
Now that I have a bit more time, the scoop is this:  The entire ER clinic thought Cowboy was a goner.  They've never seen anything like this.  So here's the deal:

If your dog vomits for more than a couple of times.....take him in to be checked out. 

That's all that saved Cowboy.  Because he's epileptic, I was more worried about him going into seizures than about why he was vomiting.  That, in retrospect was dumb....but it saved his life.  He lost so much blood....that's why they didn't want me to come down on Monday.  It was just too awful.  Ebola anyone?  They thought it was that bad.  The carafate has sealed up his whole GI tract and now he can eat, take his seizure meds and recover.  We'll be weeks, if not months on boiled chicken and rice...but I don't care.  I've got him for a while more!

Be careful with this disease.....as far as we know it's only in California at this point but we all know how fast all this 'poopy pants' thing can  spread.  Here's the odd bit.  According to all his labs, and they've done tests for EVERYTHING!  he's completely healthy!!!!  There's NOTHING wrong with him.   

I call a big time, on line, party on THURSDAY!!!!  HE'S COMING HOME!!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 01:49:08 am by newflvr »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2005, 03:07:33 am »
I'm so glad he's going home!!  I hope they can figure out what this is and give it a name.

I had a similar scare with Keiko a few years ago, although with her, the vomiting and diarrhea only lasted a day and a half.......... ...........by the time she got to the vet the next day (on the advice of the vet to wait overnight and try pepto), she had pretty much stopped.  She was on antibiotics for a bit, but otherwise fine.

Do they know how or where Cowboy may have picked this up?  I live in So Cal, so this concerns me a bit........... ...especially with both of mine having vet issues about every other month.