Author Topic: Super protector or big brat??  (Read 10349 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Super protector or big brat??
« on: May 09, 2005, 10:58:11 am »
This morning Bear and I went out for our usual morning walk/potty and we were later than usual. The sun is still down normally but we went out about 6:10 so we could see everything clearly. Every morning the routine is the same- out the front door, across the parking lot, down the back40 (long stretch of grass) around the apartments, to the street and back through the middle grassy area to our home. Today wa different though and not just because it was clearly daylight already. The minute we got outside Bear stopped and refued to move so I had to shove his booty til he moved. Then, as we approached the back 40 he froze in mid stride and pointed like a pointer. No movement, no budging, just a postured head, partly lifted front leg and staight tail. So, I turned him the other way and off we went happy as could be. On the way back though, we ran into secutiry officers and the same thing happened so we had to go far around them to appease him and allow us to get back to the house. I'm not sure if he was sensing something and just trying to protect me without making noises or if he was just being a brat and wated a new way to walk. Either way, my 15 min. walk turned into 30 and made me late to work! So, what do you think?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
Re: Super protector or big brat??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 01:54:56 pm »
Thanks Tina. That's what I kinda thought but since he stopped more than once I wasn't sure.
And Yes you need to post pics of your babies- past and present. An avatar would be great too!  :)
Hugs,
Jaime

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 02:00:24 pm »
Ha! Something SORTA similar happened to me and Cabeza this morning. I let him out and he shot out of the front door like a bat out of h*ll. Then, he began running circles in the front yard and sniffing like crazy! He wouldn't stop, even though I kept calling him. I couldn't figure out what he was doing! He looked crazy! This is so funny. So, then, I started following him around in circles, looking at what he was sniffing. I finally found it...a little tiny gray mouse hidden under a brick! hahahaha! I laughed so hard! Cabeza obviously smelled the little guy from inside the house. But, he didn't see him. I distracted him for a second and the mouse ran away. Cabeza continued running around in circles and sniffing for another few minutes! It was TOO funny!

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 02:11:06 pm »
He definitely sensed something wasn't right. Don't you feel so great when your big tough guy protects you anyway he can?!!

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 02:19:17 pm »
he-he! My guy was protecting me from a little mouse! hehehe!

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 03:25:18 pm »
Tina you're funny...I'd hardly say challenged- maybe just a little unfamiliar with a few things.  ;) The avatar is the picture that pops up on the left side of you post everytime you write something. Its easy to add...you can find instructions on the FAQ page. Good luck.
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 06:33:53 pm »
Im sure your Bear was protecting you. Im sure your Cabeza was protecting you too Nicole. HEHEHE. You never know what those mice might do to you. Im sure Judge would have done the same with a mouse. ::) 0
Jabear
I wanted to tell you that every time Im on here and my kids see your pic. they say "There is Bear." Im sure if they seen you walking down the street they would just run right up to you and start chatting. They just love your Bear. :)
Karen
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 05:35:21 am »
 ;)
Jabear,
Bryce, our oldest, a big three  ;D  He will sometimes be sensitive to his surroundings while walking with him. He can sense something different on his usual routine.   Every year for two years the boys have been walked up to the ball field at 5:00 am for the morning stroll.  Same routine romp in the ball field chasing each other, then walk around the outside of the ball field on the path, then home.  A few weeks ago, Bryce, the big boy would stop on the path and refuse to go further.  In fact he would stop (no moving a Newf once they stop) turn and practically drag my husband to head home.  The ball field didn't bother him, it was the trail around the ball field.   Monty didn't sense anything, but Bryce would.  This happened for about three or four days.  THen he started the same routine again.

I think he sensed a bear.  Bears will go to that area at times.  Then they meander elsewhere.  The ball field has a fence around it, so more than likely the bear did not venture into the field.

When he was younger (three to eight months old) I would walk him in the muskeg out the road, and he would literally stop, sniff the air, place himself in front of me so I could go no further, turn and drag me back.  I was totally confused.  I didn't pick him up and make him proceed.  Instead I was curious enough, I had my husband check it out.   One day my husband found bear scat when Bryce did this.  Then he did it again another day.  Again, bear signs.  Then one time Bryce went ape jumping and bucking and jumped off the trail and began rolling and snorting.  Again...bear signs.  We always had him on leash thank god.

It was explained to me, by a few breeders and Newfie folks, that Newfies will often protect by using just their body mass.  They just block you from the danger and will not let you proceed.  And honestly, who can make a Newf do something once they decide they or you are going no further?  Now that it was explained to me, I pay more attention to it.  If he truly does not want to proceed and makes my husband or I stop or turn, we often obey  :D :D :D  There is big a difference between, "I'm being a brat" and "Danger Will Rogers, Danger"  We just learned to know and read his body language!  It's a wonderful feeling really!!!

Luvmenewfs

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 07:24:48 am »
I think Bear was just being a good boy and protecting his mommy, what a good boy you are Bear.  And way to go Cabeza for tracking down that mouse.....lol ;D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 09:36:44 am »
I think he sensed something. Animals can always sense danger at times when we can't (remember how all the animals went to high land in the tsunami). He's a good protector :)

RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 02:28:39 pm »
Thanks everyone for your support. I guess I just worry sometimes that the love and attention he gets might make him bratty.  :P I would never change his personality and protectiveness though. My teddy bear can be a scary boy if he needs to save his family.

Luvmenewfs you are so right! Bear does place himself between the danger and me when he thinks I may be in danger. I love it! He is such a big boy too at almost 3 years old and just having him there makes me feel so safe.
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline ksullivan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 10:38:22 am »
My Newfie has gotten between my husband and people who have been to our home to work twice this summer. Mike said he growled both times. The first time Mike was outside when the people came to work on our hot tub, and Koda got between them, and growled. The second time a worker pulled in our drive, and called on his cell phone to our home, and asked us to put Koda inside. When Mike went out he acted more agressive, but after Mike talked to the man, the man reached out to pat Koda, and he backed up. They come across tough, (or at least mine does), but they are big babies. I am sure if someone tried to hurt is they would have their hands full.
Ksullivan

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 03:53:56 pm »
My Bo is usually friendly with EVERYONE she meets, but one time I was walking her in the neighborhood around my office & she went BONKERS about this guy and his Pit.  I mean, straining at the leash, growling, etc.  Totally unusual for her.  I thought that she was upset about the dog...unneuter ed male puppy, of course she'd be upset!  So I thought nothing of it until I mentioned it to one of my clients, who said that the man on the end of the Pit's leash had stabbed a homeless man on the river and had never been charged for it!!!  All this time I assumed it was the dog, when it was really the man!!  Needless to say, I learned to trust her judgement more than my own (I am far too trusting...occ upational hazard).  Anyway, that's just my two cents story to contribute to the discussion!
Jenn & Bo (SuperDog)
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi