Author Topic: Pancreatitis in Great Pyrenees  (Read 3550 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Pancreatitis in Great Pyrenees
« on: December 04, 2005, 05:22:17 pm »
My 2 year old female Pyr, Bo, was just diagnosed with pancreatitis!  I can't believe it!  We have not fed her people food & have been diligent about keeping her weight at a good level (118-120lbs), so this has come as a bit of a surprise.  She was vomiting inconsistently over the past 4 months, but our old vet attributed it to "rot gut" and prescribed cottage cheese/rice until it passed.  When she started refusing to eat, including her beloved kong, our new vet actually ran the lab work & it came back with elevated lipase levels! 
Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else's dog has had this condition diagnosed and if so, what are people doing in terms of diet?  Bo is on Natural Balance dog food, and has been for over a year.  Our vet suggested Waltham low fat, but it's really hard to come by in my area, so I'm currently looking for information about good, low-fat dog food.
Thanks, everybody!!
Jenn & Bo
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
Re: Pancreatitis in Great Pyrenees
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 09:55:43 pm »
i am really curious about this also jenn.  my little 5 lb poodle just spent thanksgiving at the vet's with pancreatitis.  i know that it happens in small breeds such as mini schnauzers and poodles, but honestly never heard of a case of pancreatitis in a large breed.  i guess it can happen (obviously) in any size dog.  from my understanding usually a high fat food triggers it, but there are also other things that can cause pancreatitis that has nothing to do with diet.  trauma (such as sustained in a car wreck), certain drugs, and poisons can trigger this.  i am curious if they know what caused it in your dog.  i will be anxious to hear other replies to this.
shellie~
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 04:26:09 pm »
Thanks for your concern & feedback!  The vet can't pinpoint at this time what may have caused the pancreatitis.  She did say that it's probably a chornic condition, as opposed to the acute condition brought on by, say, eating the thankgiving leftovers!  Bo's doing better, although still eating cottage cheese, boiled chicken & rice (with Flagyl and Pepcid for GI).  The vet recommended that we switch her from Natural Balance to Waltham low fat kibble.  We may have to have an abdominal ultrasound, too, just to rule out inflammatory bowel disease.  WHew!!  This has been a hard year for Bo...she was also diagnosed with a luxating patella in her right rear leg!  Poor girl...I hope Santa brings her good health for the years to come!! =)
Jenn & Bo
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 07:55:44 pm »
jenn, she has had a time!  it makes it hard when they havent found the cuase of the pancreatitis.  you dont know if it is food related or brought on by some sort of disease or what.    if i hear of anything in my other dog groups i will let you know. 
~SHELLIE & HUGO~