Author Topic: Hotspots  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
Hotspots
« on: December 04, 2005, 09:46:44 pm »
Any suggestions for treating hotspots?  Webster has a smelly, itchy place starting under is his arm.  Would love to catch it early and prevent a vet trip!  Thanks for suggestions.
Karen

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Hotspots
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 10:50:26 pm »
I feel your pain.  I just came online to read about this very topic.  Tucker our pup with health issues has allergies (major cause of hot spots) and over the weekend had a severe outbreak.  With all his other issues we really didn't want to start shots but at this point that looks like what we are going to do.  We have done testing and although his numbers were not off the chart they were high enough for the dermatologist to recommend shots. 

Just wanted to wish you luck; be sure to keep us posted.

Cindy

k2campbell

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 10:57:12 pm »
Oh boy, I hear you on that one  :o

Our rotti Slater (who went to Rainbow Bridge earlier this year) used to get hot spots every spring.  Poor fella, it's not fun.  Seeing as it happened each year (like clockwork), our vet was nice enough to tell us to not bother bringing him in anymore after the 3rd time.  She allowed us to stop by and pick up a scrub for him as soon as he got it each time.  Always worked, would never spread when using this scrub... 

Kind of smells mediciney/soapy, is called "Hibitane Scrub", is pink and works wonders.  Just have to scrub (kind of hard) on the hot spot, rinse, then dry.  Feels good too (his eyes would roll back when we did it). 

Dont' know if you can pick this up (but) it sure works (and isn't expensive)...

Hope that helps - good luck  ;)

Offline Titansmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 10:59:31 pm »
The way we treat them locally here is to shave the spot and scrub it then keep it dry. Clears up quickly. Good Luck.

k2campbell

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 12:11:20 am »
Forgot to mention - as Titansmom has stated - that we also shaved the spot...

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 01:08:37 am »
If you've caught it early enough, I have a great remedy for you.  We have had terrific success on hot spots using Solarcaine spray.  It's anesthetic and antiseptic and it cools and, best of all, it tastes really yucky.  Actually, I don't know how it tastes, but I'm guessing it tastes really yucky because our dogs get one of those "what the heck was THAT" looks on their faces and act like they're trying to spit it out.  But the best part about the yucky taste, they quit licking the spot.  YAY!

Where do you get this spray? Apollo is always popping up with these. IS it through the Vet, or online? Thanks!!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 02:18:25 am »
I'm going to try these ideas..  Thanks.  Hibiclens is a medical soap and I have access to that.  Solarcaine is a "burn/sunburn" spray, usually found wheren the suntain lotion stuff is at walmart or most any drug store.  It has a lidocaine-like substance in it that sort of numbs and dries the area.   Thanks everyone!
Karen