Author Topic: Do strangers label your dog as a breed that he/she isn't?  (Read 19023 times)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Do strangers label your dog as a breed that he/she isn't?
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2005, 09:28:56 am »
Seeing as I have a Newf and I live in Newfoundland I am happy to report that I have a 100% correct identification record!!!! :D

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2005, 09:54:03 am »
One thing is for certain......w e all have the most handsome and beautiful puppies in the world!!!!!!!!!!!

GR8DAME

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2005, 10:11:33 am »
Look Mom!!! It's a Tri-colored Settesitter!!!
Stella

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2005, 10:12:03 am »
I'm amazed at how many danes get called greyhounds.  How many greyhounds have big ole' heads like that & droopy lips?  I think greyhounds are cute, but they have teeny little pointy heads.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2005, 10:19:08 am »
Quote from: LaurelGrove
Now I need your help coming up with a fake breed name to tell people.  Nobody we meet has ever seen a dog that looks like her, so I could be very convincing, I'm sure.  Any ideas??  I mean, what could THIS be????;D

Looks to be a Norwegian Cheese Hound :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2005, 12:27:23 pm »
Mattie often gets labeled as a greyhound, which is understandable because she's a small dane with unusual coloring, but she does not have a pointy nose!

Now I need your help coming up with a fake breed name to tell people.  Nobody we meet has ever seen a dog that looks like her, so I could be very convincing, I'm sure.  Any ideas??  I mean, what could THIS be????;D

Isn't that one of those Apalusian Polkenhunds?   ;D
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Icerotti

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2005, 12:35:48 pm »
When I had my first rotti  she was a large  pup. I had her at the beach(she was maybe 2 months old and still really fluffy) and someone asked me if she was a bear cub ::)   lol

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2005, 12:49:19 pm »
A bear cub, really???  Don't people just amaze you? LOL  Maggie gets called a dalmation everywhere we go.  She's still little, so maybe it's a little harder to tell now.  Can't wait til she gets bigger.  Have you ever seen a dalmation that looks like this??? ;D ;D ;D
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Icerotti

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2005, 12:55:47 pm »
A bear cub, really???  Don't people just amaze you? LOL  Maggie gets called a dalmation everywhere we go.  She's still little, so maybe it's a little harder to tell now.  Can't wait til she gets bigger.  Have you ever seen a dalmation that looks like this??? ;D ;D ;D

Yeah a bear cub... I thought they were kidding , but they weren't. ::)
Maggie is adorable. She doesn't look like a dalmation either ::) :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 12:56:07 pm by Icerotti »

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2005, 12:52:31 am »
People usually ask or guess right what Kiah is. I do get oh my friend has a black one. I proceed to tell them that pyrs are mainly white and can have tan/gray markings like Kiah. They then argue with me that they come in black. GGGRRR!
Yup. I get that too...Samson has also been accused of being a white St Bernard...by the manager of Petco at that!...lol!

Nicole

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2005, 01:41:38 am »
Actually, more often than not, I have people say, "Wow, That Newf is kind of on the small side, isn't he?" hehehe! That makes me happy cuz I sometimes think that people think I'm dilusional when I tell them that Cabeza is part Newf. I honestly don't know, we got him at a year. But, he's so Newfish, I'm pretty sure that there's some in there.

I have honestly had people ask if he were a bear cub, too. In all seriousness. He does look like a bear, but, come on!

Alot of people say that he must be some sort of lab mix, which I guess could be true, but, its doubtful. He's got a purple tongue, a double coat, a little bit of jowls...I guess he does have webbed feet like a lab, but so do Newfs...

I also had someone ask if he were a Flat Coat once. That was pretty close. He does look like a stocky flat coat. Very stocky.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2005, 01:53:17 am »
people still ask me if Tonka is a black lab or lab mix!
he gets a lot of :
"look at the paws on that lab!" or  "hes skinny for a lab!"

he is still a puppy though so once he gets full grown I assume it will stop...except from REALLY stupid people haha.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2005, 02:23:30 am »
Now when Galahad is older and I guess his ears are more in proportion to his head lol, not so much. But when he was a wee little one, I was asked if he was a bloodhound, and at the 4 th of July Parade a woman said "ohhh I have never before seen a bloodhound - St. Bernard mix" I told her she still hadnt. That time my feelers were a little hurt  ;D ;)

With hera people usually just ask, she is some kind of mastiff isnt she?

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Blair

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2005, 02:28:00 am »
I dont have much problems with Zeus, but at times I have people ask me what he is. One time some one told me he was mixed with Bloodhound cause of his jawls  ??? Now with Grey, its a different story. When he was a little puppy he is a pit bull. As he got a little bigger he was a dalmation. Then a little bit bigger he was a Greyhound. Now he is a Dane mix cause Danes dont come in that color. Or sometimes he is a really big Greyhound cause he is so thin. But there are those times where he gets called a Great Dane  :)

Blair

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2005, 02:29:52 am »

Puck--not really. But I hate the "oh is that a Rockweiler "  ::)  lol

Oh I get that all the time...I just go " Where, Ive never seen a Rockweiler before"  :D