Author Topic: Do strangers label your dog as a breed that he/she isn't?  (Read 19018 times)

dohertyswissy

Re: Do strangers label your dog as a breed that he/she isn't?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2005, 08:33:02 pm »
Oh yeah...I always get asked if Ranger is a Saint Bernard or "What kind of Rotti mix is he?" or "He's a Saint Bernard/Rotti mix, right?"  I don't get too mad, b/c Swissys are pretty rare around these parts, and in general, and there are hints of Saint and Rotti way back in the line way, way back in the day...so, I guess they are sorta right.... :D

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 09:57:10 am »
Rocco gets called a 'huge black lab', occasionally someone will guess Rott (he is a Rott/Newf) mix but they usually follow up with why doesn't have markings and he still has a tail.  Rocco has only been identified as part Newf by a Newf owner who we used to walk in the park with.

Maia, when a puppy, was called a pitbull, a kid called her a striped lab, and now people know she is mastiff but most assume bull mastiff because she is smaller and stocker than most OEM, I guess.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 10:48:14 am »
When Tyra was a puppy people called her a greyhound.  Until last week I had not heard it for months, then this guy at the farmers market came up to us and said "that is the biggest greyhound I have ever seen".  Yes she is skinny but I don't think she looks anything like a greyhound.

Tucker our dane/lab mix gets called a pit all the time.  I even had a guy in PetSmart try to tell me that only pits are brindle colored.  My guess is that Tucker does have some pit in him but we don't talk about that because of the negative stance closed-minded people have taken.

Cindy

Dobe SDs

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 10:51:37 am »
When my red Dober-girl Tia was about 6 months old, she was out with me in her Service Dog In Training vest, and a little girl asked her mommy what kind of dog that was.  Mommy was irritated, aggitated, just a real b**ch and she told her daughter, "It's a greyhound. No come on!" Then grabbed the little girl by the arm and pulled her away.  I wish I'd had my Retriever with me that day, I would have sent her to grab mom by the arm and see how she likes it!   Bright Blessings to All  )O(

Offline siberescuegirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2005, 02:04:46 pm »
Oh yes! I've been asked if Indy is:
  • An Alaskan Husky (that's NOT A BREED!)
  • A Siberian Malamute (again...not a breed)
  • A wolf
  • A wolf hybrid
  • Demon from Snow Dogs (usually kids)

Most people want to pet him, and if he gets excited and starts talking, some people jump back as if they think he's angry. Other people hold out their hands, and when he goes to sniff it, they yank it back. Well, then, why did they hold it out? Stay away from him if you're so scared![/color]

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2005, 02:32:00 pm »
Sometimes people have asked us if our guys are St. Bernards!  Ok, well not quite, must be the big thing and maybe in the summer if they have a bit of drool going.

Have fun in the crazy snow East coasters!

Anita & the 3 Goofy Newfies

Anakalia

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2005, 02:48:13 pm »
YES!!  I get the "breed guessing" all the time!  My small mojo is a Maltese and yet he's been called a poodle, bichon, terrier, and a few others I can't think of at the moment.  He's a very poorly bred Maltese has kinky hairs so I can understand the confusion. lol

Koby on the other hand has been called a pony far to many times....ummm doesn't a "pony" have a mane?  DUH!  So he's been called a greyhound, mastiff, and the best one.....a doberman! ::)  I do want to add he has NEVER been called a wiemeraner, which is suprising to me.

Andi

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2005, 02:53:31 pm »
unfortunately I haven't had this happen.  People run up to me when I'm out with the girls to inform me that they are Rottweilers.  I honestly didn't know they were...:)  but thank you...I'll be careful not to stick my hand in their mouths.  :)  :-\

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2005, 03:00:42 pm »
Feste gets the 'What a big greyhound' comment all the time.  Sometimes i correct people, and other times I just wonder to myself where there are seeing all these 6'4" greyhounds that they are comparing to.  As if Feste would stoop to chasing a mechanized stuffed bone in a circle!!  ;D
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2005, 03:03:33 pm »
Feste gets the 'What a big greyhound' comment all the time.  Sometimes i correct people, and other times I just wonder to myself where there are seeing all these 6'4" greyhounds that they are comparing to.  As if Feste would stoop to chasing a mechanized stuffed bone in a circle!!  ;D
LOL!  They must breed those greyhounds for size nowadays!  I wonder what they are feeding them

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2005, 06:39:59 pm »
I get it all the time.  Earnest is a Lab/Dane cross, I know for sure, I saw both his parents.  People tell me he can't be Lab because he's not black, and he can't be Dane because he's "speckled" (he's a merle).  So part of him at least has to be Aussie or Sheltie, because those are the only merles anyone can think of, despite the fact that he has NO FUR- not even a Lab coat, he has the slick Dane coat with an almost naked belly.  (And he's 150lbs!).  I don't mind so much when they ask if he's part Catahoula, at least his coloring and shape could suggest it- I just hate when they want to "correct" me when I tell them what he is.  Sometimes if I can sense the person asking already has an attitude I tell them he's a Lochbuie Lurcher imported from England and he cost me $5,000.  Boy, are they impressed- one lady said "Oh, yes, a friend of mine has one, yours is a fine example of the breed!!! LOL!
Phyfe is even worse, because I don't really know for sure, but as far as I know he's St. Bernard and OEM, that's what his orignal owners told the humane society he was, the people I got him from said Golden and Dane (NOT).  Some people (I guess ones who have never seen one) think he's Leonburger, they come up with all kinds of guesses.  My "pretend" breed for him is Cane Garouf- although he's big, he's not THAT big, but he does look surprisingly like an engraving from the middle ages...

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2005, 10:02:58 pm »
"Sometimes if I can sense the person asking already has an attitude I tell them he's a Lochbuie Lurcher imported from England and he cost me $5,000. "

I love that... I've been known to tell particularly obnoxius people that Feste is a 'rare Macedonian Chihauhau'... and I've had them take it hook, line and sinker - and all with the most mpressed-sounding 'wow'.  ;D
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2005, 10:04:03 pm »
ok Maggie has officially been labeled as a Great Dane! ;D lol
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline thetervduo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2005, 08:53:38 pm »
OMG YES...my tervurens are constantly being called: German Shepherd mix or Shepherd/Collie mix. I just smile anymore and say Belgian Tervuren rhymes with Van Buren or Terv for short and then its like...yah right, did you just make that up.  It is refreshing to meet people along the way who appreciate and know the breed!

Diane and the terv duo

Dobe SDs

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2005, 08:23:36 am »
Yep, my Dobe got labeled as a Great Dane too!  Just the other day someone asked me why I cropped my Great Dane's tail.  I tried to explain that Raven is a Doberman.  "Oh, is he a Doberman / Weimeriner mix?  Is that why he's grey?"  No- he's a blue Doberman.  "Wow! That must be rare!" No- it's just a genetic dilution, even black parents can have a blue baby.  But I thought it was quite a compliment to have him mistaken for a Great Dane!  You guys have come up with such clever "breeds", I'm considering calling Raven a Silver Bolshevik Hound!