Author Topic: Can she escape?  (Read 5438 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Can she escape?
« on: December 04, 2005, 04:48:41 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm looking for more advice and since you guys were so great with my last question, here goes!
I
 am concerned about Binky getting out of our yard.  We have 6' high wooden fence on three sides of the yard.  The other side of the yard is fenced by our neighbor's 4' tall chain link fence.  Our back door leads to our deck which has a 3' tall gate leading to steps down to the driveway.  Binky's breeder thought that our fencing would be sufficient until Binky was full grown.  However, I keep reading about Pyrs climbing and I am nervous about the neighbor's fence.  She has only recently gained the muscle to jump onto our couch (it was funny to watch her pull herself up) and doesn't seem to have an inclination to escape, but she is still a baby.

As you can see from the pics, she can stand over the gate, but I don't know if she would try to jump it as she would have trouble landing on the stairs.  I know we will eventually have to extend it somehow? but not sure if it needs to be done now.  What do you think?  What kind of fences do the rest of you Pyr people have?  Any escapees?  Note the giant hole and the mud covering what used to be my husband's pride and joy (the lawn)!  Thanks in advance.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Kiahpyr

Re: Can she escape?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 04:56:40 pm »
We have a 4 foot chain link fence. Kiah has never jumped it. The only time I've seen her put her paws up on the fence like Binky is doing is when the neighbor is petting her. I am with her when she does this. I have heard that a four foot gate is not sufficient for pyrs. If Kiah does jump the gate then we'll have to get a bigger one. Until then I'm hoping for the best.

I do use baby gates in the house for Kiah which are 3 feet tall and she has never jumped over them. She did jump or should I say stepped over our 2 foot gate that we had around our flower garden.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 04:58:28 pm »
Binky's been digging, huh?

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 05:08:41 pm »
Oh good, I'm glad you have chain link too.  I was feeling like a bad mom!  We use baby gates too and Binky has never even jumped up to stand on them, let alone jump over them.  Our breeder had 6' chain link which she said was fine, but she said that one of their dogs jumped a 4' fence without even a running start.  I just don't want to put a giant fence up between us and our neighbors as they are really nice and they also have dogs whom our dogs love to play with (running up and down the fence, barking like crazy!)
By the way, Kiah is adorable.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 05:10:38 pm »
Yes, Binky loves to dig!  Besides ringing the bell and barking, it's her favorite pastime!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 05:11:17 pm »
With a hole like that....you betcha.....oh you wanted to know about the gate.  My guess is that she would not jump it because of the stairs.

If she is digging I would be more concerned about that.  It is amazing just how small of a hole they need to get under a fence.  Is she left out alone during the day?  Our Scooter cannot be trusted and is never left outside alone.

Cindy

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 05:25:11 pm »
Binky only goes outside when I am at home, but I do let her go in the yard by herself.  Usually I just peek out at her once in a while.  She doesn't usually like to stay out for more than 1/2 hour.  Fortunately,  (well, not for the lawn) she chooses to dig in the middle of the yard and I have never seen her dig near the fence.  I keep an eye on that because Chicklet, our 4lb Papillon, is an accomplished escape artist and can squeeze through the tiniest holes.  Can one of your giants really squeeze under a fence?  Hmm, I will keep closer watch!
Thanks for reassuring me about the gate though!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 06:00:14 pm »
Pyrs dont dig holes!  They dig craters!...lol

Every Pyr is an individual.  They are eveyone different.  I have 5 at the moment and have owned many during my years of breeding.  I've had them go over a 12' chain link.  I've had them stay in a 4' chain link.  If they are jumpers or climbers they just are.  Then it's hot wire time.  If you have a dog that is currently a climber they will teach the others how to do it too.  I've known several Pyrs that were nick named Houdini... lol

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 02:42:19 am »

hmmm......digg ing a crater, eh?

I heard a rumor that you should bury some of their poop just under the surface of the area that you don't want them to dig in.......decid ed to try it.......and so far, no digging in the spots where the stuff is buried!  Of course, there is still the 4' x 2' crater that all 5 show off as their pride & joy!  (Luckily, I need that particular spot dug out - so they don't know it, but they are actually working for me!  Shhh!  don't tell them - they might go on strike!)  :D

Of the 40 some odd dogs in SPIN rescue - some are jumpers, some are climbers, and some are polite & do neither.....ju st depends on the dog.  I've seen Bella & Pete jump at the 6' wood & brick fence around my property - their heads just barely clear it, but so far (knock on wood), not their bodies......bo th times they were going after a squirrel or stray cat that was in the yard.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 06:03:12 pm »
Thnaks again for all your great advice.  I'm not sure about the burying the poop idea as it seems to be one of BInky's favorite treats (GROSS!), but it's good to know that she is probably not minutes away from escape.  Since she has shown no inclination to get out of the yard, I will just keep an eye on her until she's bigger.  Laurie, by the way, I might have to steal that dog-those EYES!!! You won't mind since you have so many -right?   :) She is like a cartoon-perfect and adorable!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 10:47:06 pm »
Absolutely you can borrow those eyes!!  (I might go thru BWD withdrawal if you steal them!!! (hee hee!)   :D

And yes, the poop burying was revolting - definitely a plastic baggie & glove ordeal!  Lucy was a poop eater, too --- very very very gross!  She is also my most creative digger & she wont dig in the areas where the nasty stuff is buried under about an inch of soil!

-Laurie

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 04:39:48 pm »
I feel really fortunate that Bo isn't a digger!  Her mom was a wallower, but Bo didn't inherit that trait, thankfully for all my plants!  In regards to fence jumping, Bo seems to respond best to mental barriers.  I bring her to work with me & in the doorway of my office I have a small baby gate (approx. 2 feet high).  The baby gate isn't even properly installed, just resting in the door jamb.  In the year plus that Bo's been coming to the office, she's never even attempted to push the gate over (which she could easily do), much less jump over it!  The same goes for the house, too.  I guess because we trained her with an ex-pen, she learned from an early age that going over the barrier wasn't a good idea!
By the way, Binky is ADORABLE!  I remember when Bo was that age & her facial hair hadn't caught up with her body hair & people used to ask me if I shaved her face!!  Sometimes people would ask me if she was a Samoyed! =) 
Good luck!
Jenn & Bo
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi