Author Topic: Adding to the pack-suggestions, please!  (Read 7879 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Adding to the pack-suggestions, please!
« on: December 06, 2005, 05:04:25 pm »
Greetings Pyr people! =)  I wanted some feedback from the group about getting another dog.  We recently moved into our first house (yeah!), which is great.  However, when we left our old house, we left behind the other two Pyrs that lived on the property with us (Bo's mom & "uncle" Teddy).  We've been in our new house for almost three months & Bo seems to miss having a pack.  She's also started expressing some anxiety (excessive barking/fear aggression), which we think has to do with the fact that she went from being one of three Pyrs, the older two who were responsible for the guarding job, to being an only Pyr with no older, wiser dogs to guide her.  My husband & I really want to get another dog, but our trainer said that we should wait 6 months before bringing another dog into the family.  I can understand that, in terms of the adjustment phase.  What I'm not sure about is how to go about finding a good brother for Bo.  WE thought about doing a Pyr rescue, but I don't think I can handle 250lbs of dog at the end of the leash!!  Not to mention, our neighbors are barely tolerant of Bo's barking, I can only imagine what they'd say if we had two.  My questions:
Does anyone have a Pyr with a non-Pyr sibling?  How do you introduce a new dog into the house?  Do they do better wtih some breeds than others?
Helpful suggestions/feedback are welcome!
Thanks!
Jenn & Bo 
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
Re: Adding to the pack-suggestions, please!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 06:00:06 pm »
I'm involved in Pyr rescue in DFW area of Texas. (Defined involved as someone who as president hardly has a free moment away from dogs or dog business). More often than not, our pets and fosters benifit from being a member of a pack, rather than an only dog. There will be an adjustment time between the dogs, and there might even be real problems, real fights between the new dogs. But if her behavior has already changed, waiting 6 months is only going to delay what might be a benifical change.

And also, bless you for considering a rescued dog. PM me your email addy and name and I'll get it to your local Pyr rescue group. (Not that I'm trying to use guilt or anything to shame you into another BWD rather than another breed, I'm sure you wounderful person who wants a BWD, rather than some sort of devil worshiper who would settle for less than a BWD!  ;D)

(man! Am I going to catch h*ll for that statement or what! At least this is in the Pyr Discussion forum, and not the general BPO forum. I'm not worred about the Rotty people reading this, I'm supprised THEY can read at all. But the great dane people do read, and they stick their big snouts in EVERYWHERE!)

(gee! I just don't know when to shut up, do I!)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 06:02:47 pm »

(But the great dane people do read, and they stick their big snouts in EVERYWHERE!)

(gee! I just don't know when to shut up, do I!)

The Dane people have to "stick their big snouts in" to get stuff done, because you BWD people are too scared to get your pretty petticoats dirty. :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 06:11:08 pm by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 06:03:38 pm »
HA! Pupdaddy! I can't wait to see how long it takes for those afore-mentioned Dane people to nose their way into this and freak out! hahahahahahaha!

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 06:10:30 pm »
I am a fan of LGD's having other LGD's  whether it is a pyr or anatolian or pyr mix and all the other ones
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 06:13:54 pm »
OOH! The nosy Dane person I had in mind was actually even quicker than me! HA! You're right, Pupdaddy!  ;)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 06:16:07 pm »
OOH! The nosy Dane person I had in mind was actually even quicker than me! HA! You're right, Pupdaddy!  ;)

MUWAHAHAHA!  Never underestimated a middle aged housewife with nothing but time on her hands!
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 06:19:50 pm »
I'm sure you wounderful person who wants a BWD, rather than some sort of devil worshiper who would settle for less than a BWD!  ;D)

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHA! 

(As a soul-less, devil-worshipping, non-Pyr owner, I agree with PD - I don't see any specific reason to wait. 

If your trainer is concerned that your dog needs some time to adjust to the recent changes (i.e., the move), well 6 months just might be enough time for Bo to decide that this is HER house and she doesn't want to share.  Do it sooner rather than later and she may accept more easily that another dog comes part and parcel with the new house, and it is just one more thing for her to have to get used to.  Plus, she has obviously shown that she benefits from having another dog to "guide" her, as PD said, why put off what could be a very beneficial change?

As for the breed - who knows?  I think it would be great for you to have two Pyrs, if you have decided that is "your" breed, but I think she could get along with another breed, too.  There are plenty of people out there doing it successfully both ways.  I think the most important match is between Bo and whatever other dog you end up getting - i.e. a good personality match over a specific breed.  Maybe it doesn't need to be another Pyr, but maybe some other LGD breed.  Just find a nice doggy that needs a home, and is a good personality match with Bo. 

Wow, not only can I read, I can type too!  But, as at least a semi-Saint Bernard owner, I am surprised that I wasn't too dumb to come up with a response!   :P
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 06:22:33 pm »
Ang, Don't you have some darning to do?

Marsi, Yeah, its a miracle. Us mixed-breed people can barely put a sentence together before we start drooling....go od job, good job. That's probably all you can handle for the day, isn't it?  ;) ;) :-*

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 06:23:41 pm »
There is a male TM that seems to be a great dog at guardian rescue.  Angie Wheat runs the rescue and someone from BPO just adopted Ozzie a pyr from there.  She is on the west coast.

http://www.guardianrescue.org/available.htm

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 06:26:31 pm »
Ang, Don't you have some darning to do?

Marsi, Yeah, its a miracle. Us mixed-breed people can barely put a sentence together before we start drooling....go od job, good job. That's probably all you can handle for the day, isn't it?  ;) ;) :-*

Yeah, I gotta go lay down now.  Marsi tired.  Brain hurt.  Go sleepy now.
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Kiahpyr

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 07:06:19 pm »
I am thinking about getting a playmate for Kiah. I want another LGD. Gypsy has a Kuvasz that she's fostering and will be up for adoption with the kuvasz rescue soon. She's between 2-3 years old. I'm trying to convince hubby, but if that doesn't work out then she'll need a good home. See this thread http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,5833.0.html

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 07:14:50 pm »
how is the kuv with other females?

Kiahpyr

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 07:24:48 pm »
how is the kuv with other females?

From the information that I got she got along well with all the dogs at the shelter. I've talked with other Kuv/pyr people on here and got mixed opinions. It comes down to Kiah isn't a dominant dog and they both are spayed (misty will be before she's up for adoption). Still have to convince hubby though.

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 07:29:22 pm »
I'm sure you wounderful person who wants a BWD, rather than some sort of devil worshiper who would settle for less than a BWD!  ;D)

Wow, not only can I read, I can type too!  But, as at least a semi-Saint Bernard owner, I am surprised that I wasn't too dumb to come up with a response!   :P
Saints are BWD's with too much color.  ;D Newf's are just the photo negative of a pyr, and vise versa. Seriously, I love all dogs, and even small dogs. I'm just partial to all the big hairy Mountian Dogs, Swiss, Pyr, Kuv, Saints, Newf, etc
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 07:33:57 pm by PupDaddy »