Author Topic: Officially Sleep Deprived - Help!  (Read 3869 times)

dohertyswissy

Officially Sleep Deprived - Help!
« on: December 20, 2005, 03:44:19 pm »
Ranger has recently gotten into the habit of waking me up at 2 am to go outside to go to the bathroom.  This is a TOTALLY new thing.  I always let him out before I go to bed, which is usually between 10:30 and 11:00.  For months, he has slept through the night, until I wake up around 7:00, and then I let him out.  I know Swissys are notoriously slow potty trainers, but he has been fine for months and he is 1 year old now. 

So, without getting into too many details, there have been some pretty significant changes in our household over the past 2 weeks, so I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it? 

I'm just exhausted and need a full night's sleep.

Thoughts anyone?   ???  ???

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: Officially Sleep Deprived - Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 04:15:55 pm »
Is there anyway to make him hold it.  Or make someone else take him out.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

dohertyswissy

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 04:18:51 pm »
Unfortunately, when I've ignored the whining and the cold nose, I will shortly hear the sound of peeing on the floor....

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 04:21:47 pm »
Ranger has recently gotten into the habit of waking me up at 2 am to go outside to go to the bathroom.  This is a TOTALLY new thing.  I always let him out before I go to bed, which is usually between 10:30 and 11:00.  For months, he has slept through the night, until I wake up around 7:00, and then I let him out.  I know Swissys are notoriously slow potty trainers, but he has been fine for months and he is 1 year old now. 

So, without getting into too many details, there have been some pretty significant changes in our household over the past 2 weeks, so I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it? 

I'm just exhausted and need a full night's sleep.

Thoughts anyone?   ???  ???
changes will make a dog do odd things.  Maybe he'll get use to them and get back to the way things were.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 04:23:36 pm »
Unfortunately, when I've ignored the whining and the cold nose, I will shortly hear the sound of peeing on the floor....

True enough, I have only had that happen once with Rocco.  I have been a sucker for his whining ever since.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

dohertyswissy

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 04:34:45 pm »

True enough, I have only had that happen once with Rocco.  I have been a sucker for his whining ever since.

Yeah...I think I'd rather freeze than clean up pee at 2 a.m.  I just need him to stop it altogether.... .

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 01:05:51 pm »
I feel your pain!  We have had this problem with Chicklet, our Papillon, for the last year!!!!  That's right, a year of getting up at 2:34 am to let her out.  I have tried everything, and the only thing that seems to have slowed it down (not stopped, but I sure was thrilled to sleep through that first night) is to take her out by herself no earlier than 11:45 pm.  I go out with her (we have a fenced yard so she usually goes by herself) and tell her to Potty outside like you would a puppy.  After she goes, I wait and try to get her to go again.  Staying up for the extra 45 minutes is definitely worth sleeping through the night.  Good luck!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 01:44:59 pm »
Im sorry to hear Ranger keps waking you up. Dogs can react in all kinds of ways if there has been changes in their life. Maybe he is not sleeping the same way he did, so if he wakes up in the middle of the night he feels he needs to go, as if he keeps on sleeping he has no problem holding it until the morning.

I think if you just give him a little time to get used to whats new in yours and his life he will get back to sleeping better and longer and also not having to go in the middle of the night.

Good luck and tell him aunti Marit says he HAS to let mommy sleep, or shell send the mean kitty to come get him  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 02:32:30 pm »
I can definatley relate, I felt bad for Kiya since she has been on the meds (almost a month now). It got to 2x's a night with her. For the last week & a half TUFF love. Our schedule is still the same we go out at 10pm & wake up at 5. I yell out "go lay down" or ignore her & she goes back to bed. This morning I heard her, it was about 4am. I tried to go back to sleep but I had to go to the bathroom. I got up & ignored her then went back to sleep for an hour (thank God).  She is crated, if she were loose she'd potty in the house.
Carolyn
Carolyn