Author Topic: STOP - my Newf takes me for a walk!!!  (Read 13838 times)

Offline IZ

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
STOP - my Newf takes me for a walk!!!
« on: December 07, 2005, 08:13:56 am »
I have a new newf, named IZ - 10 weeks old. He will walk on the leash - but he started putting the leash in his mouth and appears to "take himself for a walk". Yes, very cute the first few times. Now I have a problem - we can't get him to stop!!! This will eventually be a problem. Our trainer told us to grap his snout and sternly say "NO" ... but that has NO AFFECT. Any Big Paw suggestions????
Jennifer - IZ's Mom

"I like my daddy better".  -Iz

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: STOP - my Newf takes me for a walk!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:43:13 am »
pinch collar???  our trainer swears by them!  fumble still likes to take himself for walks, but we only let him do that on the beach, because that's a "fun walk".  but when we take him to the park and stuff, we use the pinch collar.  we found out that male newfs are definately babies for the first time!  but after that, it worked out greaT!  we just let him "think" he still takes us for walks, but we're really in control!  ;)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 10:28:53 am »
Hi IZ,

Wow this is funny for me. Winslow will turn 6 months on 12/28 and you seem to be going through everything he has. We still have the leash in mouth issue. Not as bad as before.

We go to Puppy class, and they had us just snap the leash from his mouth with a correction. I hated doing that, and a few baby teeth did and will chip,  :o (Winslow didn't even notice the chipping)  Now we didn't tug and yank the leash but a consistent snap (like shaking water from a wet paint brush) with a "no" each time until he lets go of the leash, then PRAISE LIKE CRAZY  ;D and eventually he caught on.

Wait till the nipping the wrists starts. I bet that is one of your next posts  ;)

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 10:35:53 am »
I would not suggest using a pinch at such a young age.

Here is what I would do; make sure his collar is snug and high on the neck (two fingers between him and the collar).  I would tighten any leash slack and insure the clasp is at the back of the neck so that he cannot put the leash in his mouth.

Cindy
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 10:38:30 am by The Brindle Pack »

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 10:40:12 am »
Hi IZ, happy to see another new Newf owner here on BPO. I'm owned by a 7 month old Newfie named Angus and he is the ultimate goon!!! He used to grab the leash in his mouth as well, he thought walk time was play time and even used to bark at me when we started our walks to get me to play. I use positive reinforcement so leash corrections only happen if they can't be helped, like if he goes to jump up on someone all of the sudden I have to stop him. So what I did is completely ingnore him when he grabbed the leash, even turned my back to him and folded my arms. I would not move an inch and he has since figured it out that if he stops and sits then he gets my attention again (I ignored him for however long it took). I find that method very effective and it has worked for me for a few different behaviours as well.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 10:49:49 am »
We tried that with Chester (9 months) and it worked when it's just one on one.  But now he likes to take Cowboy on a walk....holds his lead in his mouth and pulls.  Acutally it helps.  Cowboy is such a slow poke and has to smell everything.  Chester will run back grab the lead at almost collar level and give a big tug...like "COME ON!"  I can't help but laugh!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 11:26:25 am »
What a cute name Iz is! It's nice to have a new Newfie person here too.

My 3 year old, Bear, loves to walk with his leash in his mouth when he can. I don't find it to be a problem because he is so proud of it and it is adorable. ;D He doesn't take off or go far in front of me and has no problem when need to hold it to walk him. He holds it for a few feet when we leave the house, sometimes when we play and always when we get close to the house after a walk. He'll hold it until we get through the door.

Here is a suggestion: Since he likes to hold his leash, teach him that he can't have it when you walk out of the house but reward him with it when he gets close to his home. Let him "walk" himself into his home. This might give him the satisfaction he needs to walk himself but let you remain in control for the remainder of the walk. Just a thought...
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 11:48:27 am »
Spotakiss does the same thing.Ive even seen a saint do it on the Eukanuba Dog Show,which goes to show ya even the best trained saints cant resist.Good luck.At least our saints have a sense of humor.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 11:55:25 am »
I think it's funny myself.  I'll actually wad up the leash and give it to bava to tote back home.  He is so proud of himself, he holds his head way up and prances back (well as much as a newf can prance).
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 12:23:20 pm »
Binky did the same thing when we first got her.  I soaked her leash in Bitter Apple overnight and that really helped.  Also, holding the leash high and to the back works pretty well.  I did not soak her new leash but she seems to have lost interest in walking herself- she hates bitter apple and the memory must be enough for her!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline IZ

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 03:39:46 pm »
The wrist bitting has started! :D :'(
Jennifer - IZ's Mom

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 03:44:55 pm »
Chuckles here.  Newf pups are mouthy!!   ;D  Chester just likes to hold on to my wrist sometimes like it is a security blanket.  Not hard, but also he doesn't want to let go! ;D ;D

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 03:47:06 pm »
Your pup is so cute!  :) Sasha likes to hold on to our hands too.  She was pretty mouthy when she was little too.

Offline IZ

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 03:52:15 pm »
 ;D Well it is like someone said, "that's what they are bred for". Carrying lines in to shore in their mouths and rescuing people from drowning by grabbing a hold of their arm. It is very cute...and I don't want to break him of this just control it more. I think the insstinct will work to my advantage when I start training him for Water Work competition.
Jennifer - IZ's Mom

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 03:53:06 pm »
Hi,

Told you that would be next  :P.

A little tougher for us anyway. Winslow still nips and grabs. Grabs is better he doesn't bite to hurt more  just to hold on. Some say it is the water instinct,  :-\ you know someone in trouble and the newf will grab an arm or wrist to pull you to shore.

We want to water train http://www.dogscouts.com/wet.shtml so this is a tougher training choice. He will need to learn the controlled bite. So for now we are working that one.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad