Author Topic: STOP - my Newf takes me for a walk!!!  (Read 13839 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: STOP - my Newf takes me for a walk!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 08:34:51 pm »
i swear, if i didn't know any better, fumble and winslow were twins lost a birth or something??  fumble is almost 5 months old and still kinda nips at the hands..  there really the only things that he goes for.. loves hands.  when he has to go out, he grabs onto my shirt or sweatshirt on the side and pulls, as if he's dragging me to to the door.. although sometimes he grabs onto my skin on the side of my ribs or my lovehandles! ouch! lol!!  he's also been doing a lot of nudging and bumping with his nose!  don't know if that's a newfie trait, but he's definately gotten it from somewhere and is a pro! hehe!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 09:01:01 pm »
Angus has the nudging and bumping with his nose down to a science! :D He has gotten over the mouthing part and grabbing clothes and now when he takes your hand he doesn't close his mouth, just kind of rubs your hand with his teeth. I guess he has no time to grab because he is to busy licking everyone all the time. Also with the leash in the mouth thing here is a pic of him with his first leash before he completely destroyed it (I'm not sure if you'll see how beat up it is in this picture).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 09:01:40 pm by AC »

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 09:37:54 pm »
haha.. the leash looks great!!  i would have kept it for the scrapbooK! i can't wait till the nipping ends!! i'd happily trade them for the kisses! hehe!
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 09:42:37 pm »
I still have the leash! It is unusable but a keeper! :D

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 11:17:14 pm »
Hi,

Yup I agree on the lost at birth twins, Fumble. We are also not to far away. Your the cape and I'm in Lowell so hopefully we'll get a chance to introduce the boys one day.

AC, I see you are from Newfoundland, do you see many of the breed at home.  I was surprised when looking for a pup I couldn't find a breeder of Newfs in Newfoundland, just struck me as interesting, and I wonder if the breed is very common in your home land.

Rich 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 11:23:31 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 12:29:08 am »
It always seems to be the same, it starts with the mouthing, then the nudging with the nose and finally the I want attention paw.

A good thing about newfs is they understand and learn so easily. My wife has a disability and uses crutches, both our girls respect her. They wait for her to sit down then sit in front of her for attention, no paws, no noses, just patience. I on the other hand get the works.

We havn't gone out of our way to train them but Liz has always said No and ignored them until she is ready to give them attention, whilst they always get a cuddle from me for the asking. the result is different behaviour tailored to the individual. Its fun watching them with guests, you can see them thinking, is he/she a paw person or a sit person, if people make a fuss immeadiately, they get the works, if they ignore them, they will sit in front of them as proud as punch so that the person cant go anywhere till they've acknowledged them.

God help anyone who comes to our house, gets down on their knees and cries, "what beautiful dogs." arms outstretched. They disappear for about five minutes under a mountain of black fur and return to this world suitably slimed, but then they asked for it! ;D

Oh I do love Newfies.

Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 07:54:55 am »

AC, I see you are from Newfoundland, do you see many of the breed at home.  I was surprised when looking for a pup I couldn't find a breeder of Newfs in Newfoundland, just struck me as interesting, and I wonder if the breed is very common in your home land.

Rich 

Before Angus I would only see about 3 or 4 (maybe less) Newfs a year and they were usually on tour boats and that sort of thing. Since Angus I must say I have seen a lot more. There are 3 other Newfs same age as Angus in his obedience class, 2 adult Newfs walk past my house at least once a week and the breederes here are making a comeback! It looks like they are starting to make a comeback as pets here on the Island as well (most pups from here were sold on the mainland). There are 3 breeders within a 1/2 hour drive of my house and 2 more breeders within 3 hours drive. One of the breeders just relocated here from Germany. I think there are more breeders on the Island but they will never be found on the net or through CKC. Those Newfs would be breed in the small outports and fishing villages and used for thier working abilities.

Andreau

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 08:12:17 am »
Hi,

Yup I agree on the lost at birth twins, Fumble. We are also not to far away. Your the cape and I'm in Lowell so hopefully we'll get a chance to introduce the boys one day.

Winslow, Did you go to the Newfie fun day in the fall??? 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 09:01:45 am by Fumble »

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2005, 10:19:48 am »
Hi,

For some reason I didn't get a post update e-mail on the last 2 replies, so that is why I'm late replying back. Fumble, do you mean the Newfie fun day in Elliot Maine if so, yes we were there.

AC thanks for the Newfoundland "Newfie" update it is good to hear they are returning to their native soil for some future generations of the breed.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline macaco67

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2005, 12:38:19 pm »
My pup used to do that as well, but also just pull in general.
The best thing to do is EVERYTIME he pulls or tries to grab his leash stop, say your 'bad' word... mine is UH, UH and as soon as he is doing what you want say "good boy" and off you go.  Repeat this as many times as it takes, and trust me... it will take patience.
I am also a HUGE fan of the Gentle Leader... it's so much better then the pinch collar.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 07:46:47 pm »
Drake usually does that too at the begginning of the walk, but he soon gets distracted by something else or begins his peeing and pooing and he can't do any of that while holding the leash.   Maybe you can try giving Iz a toy or a ball to hold in his mouth instead of the leash?  Does he pull on the leash or does he just hold it?

By the way, your Avatar is cute!  Iz looks like a big, fluffy ball of Newfie love.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline brett_and_krystal

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 03:04:31 am »
Magoo does the same. When we start out on a walk he has to have the leash in his mouth for the first little while and then again when we are almost home. He is getting better at keeping it out of his mouth with age. We are on our 3rd leash and he isn't 7 months old yet. Good luck.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2005, 11:29:25 am »
It always seems to be the same, it starts with the mouthing, then the nudging with the nose and finally the I want attention paw.

You hit it right on the head! I think Newfs have to be the most spoiled dogs who have no shame in letting you know what they want when they want it.  ;D How much more perfect of a dog can you find?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 08:33:33 pm »
Hi,

For some reason I didn't get a post update e-mail on the last 2 replies, so that is why I'm late replying back. Fumble, do you mean the Newfie fun day in Elliot Maine if so, yes we were there.

Rich

actually, there was one right in Lowell in october, i think it was... or right around there..

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 08:35:42 pm »
Bava has no shame in letting you know he wants something - he runs up to you and JUMPS! BOING! Course I get knocked backwards cause he's turned into a big boy (still under 100 lbs!). or he takes a foot and bops you with it or sticks his nose on you and nudges you.

hahaha.. i have to say, I LOVE THE NUDGING! hehe!  i think fumble lives for it! he's just getting the hang of the paw! and he's even decided that i make a great chair, even when i'm not sitting! lol!