Author Topic: A very subdued celebration...Cowboy is home.....  (Read 12337 times)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: A very subdued celebration...Cowboy is home.....
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 09:18:06 pm »
Poor Cowboy. I don't think for one moment it was just coincidence that he stopped eating. Many dogs do not do well when hospitalized - they can literally give up and die if they are sensitive. He'll probably sleep for many hours now he's home and feels like he can relax.

And whoever said get some baby wipes - I second that as I find them indispensable for my doggies and even use them for ear cleaning. If he's really stinky, give him a 'bed bath' with first doggie shampoo well diluted, then clean water. It's amazing how much cack you can get off a dog with well wrung out small towel! and I'm sure Cowbody will love the attention.   ;D

I second that. You can also try a little A&D Ointment, to make him more comfy, after the sponge bath/baby wipes. Glad Cowboys home.

Deena

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 09:36:49 pm »
I don't know why they call them baby wipes.  I bet if you did a survey, they're used more often for OTHER stuff than they are for baby's butts!  I have baby wipes at MY house, and there are no babies there!   

Call them comfy wipes.

He will love to have his bum clean.  Since he's a fastidious boy, it's got to be making him feel bad to be dirty.  He'll be much happier when he's clean.  And so will Chester.

And you are the Queen of Dogmoms today.   You have gotten your furkid better enough to come home!  Fireworks for you!

He's going to get much better now, I know it, but I'm going to keep saying prayers.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 10:06:58 pm »
YES!!  Please keep the prayers coming.  This is just really HARD work.  He has diarrhea while he's sleeping!  I've washed him three times and his bed cover is in the wash now...with beach towels and pee-pad under him for the present time.  His POOR rear end.  It's been completely shaved, thank heavens because it's raw and bleeding...a lot!  At least I THINK that's where the bloods coming from ???   I've put Desitin on it and then, of course wash it off after I clean him in the shower.  He is enjoying the shower, though...just stands there with his tail up and letting the warm water wash over him.   He's had a couple of tablespoons of cottage cheese with his KBr (an antiseizure) but that's it...besides water.  No interest in the chicken and rice...but Chester was MORE than happy to have a share of it for his dinner (mixed with kibble: HA!  Chester....foo led you!!)

I hope we all get some rest tonight!

Oh, and I've followed up some leads and there is a name for this:    hemorrhagic gastroentritis
Here's the info...note it's primarily in toy and miniature dogs....do you think Cowboy is a mojo in disguise????
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesh/a/HGEindogs.htm

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 10:37:09 pm »
I hope Cowboy has a good night. I am sure he is glad to be home with Mommy's TLC to make him all better.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 10:45:25 pm »
I'm so happy that Cowboy is back home. Here's to a speedy recovery!

Icerotti

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 10:46:39 pm »
Glad to hear Cowboy is home. Still sending thoughts and prayers. ;D

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 03:30:15 am »
I'm so glad he's home.  I'll keep saying prayers for a full recovery!
-lauriew

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 08:33:04 am »
welcome back cowboy!!!  fumble and i will say some prayers for him!! 
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 08:54:24 am »
Newflvr, are you giving lactated ringers Sub Q to keep him hydrated?
Hope things are going ok.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

cricket36580

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2005, 09:39:04 am »
Just a suggestion...C aldesene (sp?) is a powder for babies but would work on Cowboy.  It's the absolute best thing for raw bottoms!  It comes in a pink and blue bottle and I usually find it in the pharmacy section with Gold Bond, etc.  It has some magic water barrier in it that really works.  I know when I've used it, usually the raw area is healed within 24 hrs.  Just make sure not to get it on the pee pad because then the pad won't absorb.  I swear...  And you don't have to "pull" on the injured area. 

I hope he gets better soon.  Our house is pulling for him.  Sending big dane hugs and sloppy kisses....

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 10:09:06 am »
Just checking on Cowboy.  How is he doing?  How are YOU doing; did you get any sleep?

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 10:11:24 am »
Welcome home Cowboy!  Hugs from your Newfie friends from NJ.  Hope you are both feeling better soon!  I am sure it is good to be home and hopefully getting some much needed rest.

Anita & the 3 Newfies

Anakalia

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2005, 10:37:39 am »
I'm so happy Cowboy's home!!!  I'm sure he'll do better with you, AND he's getting yummy food!  I'll be keeping Cowboy and your family in my thoughts.  ;D

Andi

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2005, 11:16:17 am »
Just thinking about you and Cowboy (and Chester too).  Sending good thoughts and prayers.  Get well soon Cowboy!

Yaz

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2005, 01:24:27 pm »
Hope I am not too late to send my concern for Cowboy - here is hoping for a fast and speedy recovery.