Author Topic: A very subdued celebration...Cowboy is home.....  (Read 12334 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
A very subdued celebration...Cowboy is home.....
« on: December 07, 2005, 05:49:23 pm »
He didn't have a very good night last night.  He quit eating as soon as I left and hasn't eaten since.  Diarrhea still pours out of him....but I think it's because he's depressed about being in the hospital so I've brought him home.  He's snoring right behind me on his most favorite bed in the office.  He reeks to high heaven from the mess on his rear end but I think it's more important to let him have a good, quiet sleep for the moment than for him  to smell like a little girl in a garden.  I discussed it with both the docs and I think it's fair to give this a go;  I can always take him back if he gets worse.   He did take a tiny bit of chicken from me and some cottage cheese with his pills and he is drinking water so I don't think he's in any danger.  Chester is freaking out...Cowboy doesn't smell like Cowboy, would be my guess.  I'm hoping after his nap he'll rebound a little (no, actually, I'm hoping he'll rebound a LOT!!!)

I'm just going to cancel everything and stay in with the dogs this weekend.  Cowboy needs me more than I need to go out celebrate. 

I'll keep you posted...like I'm do anything else??? ;)

Offline Baileyboy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: A very subdued celebration...Cowboy is home.....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 05:52:05 pm »
Welcome home Cowboy!

Still keeping you both in my thoughts.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 05:55:08 pm »
Please give him a pat on the head and tell him we all love him, and hope he is all better soon.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 05:55:20 pm »
it is really nice to hear he is home, and i am sure it will make his recovery much more pleasent.  Shakes hated when he had to stay at the hospital for his foot infection.  Hopefully he will at least rebound enough to get cleaned up a bit.  Shakes didn't have the same problem, but with his bandages, he couldn't go near water for a couple months.  He became one stinky dog!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 06:03:20 pm »
Sounds like a plan, Mari.  I am sure that being home with you will do a lot more for his soul than another night in the hospital could do for his body.  Nothing is going to make him feel better than being at home with his momma, and you can always take him back in if you need to... 

Edited to say "momma", because what the heck is a "mamma"?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 06:12:22 pm by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 06:08:17 pm »
I bet he'll be glad for a little spa treatment after his snooze. If he's resting comfortably, then that's definitely a good sign. I'll be keeping all of you in my thoughts tonight. Please keep us posted - since you're not going anywhere anyway!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 06:09:01 pm »
I am so glad that Cowboy is home...time with you in familar surroundings can only help him to improve. As far as the stinky-buttedness is concerned...I think like you do, it's a small price to pay.
Lotsa hugs and well wishes from Chicago.
Stella

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 06:17:44 pm »
I'm so glad that Cowboy is home.  They really do much better when they are home.  I know for Tucker the stress of being in the hospital is far worse.  The last time we ended up at the ER our regular vet was out of town and the ER wanted continued monitoring after they closed at 7am.  We ended up leaving the ER here in the high desert at 1:30am (wanted to beat the LA traffic) and drove the 1.5 hours to his neurologist (also an ER).  We got there around 3am and camped out in the Suburban with Tucker until his doc got in at 8am.  Everyone at the neuro's (Southern California Veterinary Referral Group) was great; had us park right outside the door in case we needed them.  The on-call doc came out every hour to check on us and the techs kept us hydrated and fed.  Everyone that knows Tucker agrees he does best when he is with us.

Sorry to ramble, I'm happy Cowboy is home.  Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Cindy

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 06:25:27 pm »
Yipee !!!  Welcome home Cowbow !!! Keep up the good fight !!!

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 06:28:19 pm »
Yea!! Cowboy is home!  That's wonderful news!
 :)
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 06:41:54 pm »
You are NOT rambling.  It's so great to share experiences. 

It was one of those 'listen to your instincts' moments.  He quit eating right after I left? Coincidence... .maybe, but maybe not.   So he's had a tiny bit of cottage cheese, a couple of tiny bits of chicken...but it's more than he'd do in the ER.  So, I think we're slightly ahead! ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 06:43:30 pm »
And, thanks, everybody for the good wishes.  We all need them! ;D

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 08:41:30 pm »
I will still keep in my thoughts for continued healing
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 08:58:32 pm »
Poor Cowboy. I don't think for one moment it was just coincidence that he stopped eating. Many dogs do not do well when hospitalized - they can literally give up and die if they are sensitive. He'll probably sleep for many hours now he's home and feels like he can relax.

And whoever said get some baby wipes - I second that as I find them indispensable for my doggies and even use them for ear cleaning. If he's really stinky, give him a 'bed bath' with first doggie shampoo well diluted, then clean water. It's amazing how much cack you can get off a dog with well wrung out small towel! and I'm sure Cowbody will love the attention. In the meantime, stick a peg on your nose.  ;D

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 09:16:31 pm »
There's no better place than home when you aren't feeling well.  I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)