Author Topic: He's a dog! A real dog!!!  (Read 10100 times)

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
He's a dog! A real dog!!!
« on: May 09, 2005, 07:50:21 pm »
I'm so excited today!
It seems like over night my scared untrained puppy has become a more confident well behaved dog! He is still a puppy (6.5 months) but he has grown so much these past couple of weeks that I'm amazed with him. He doesn't chew things he shouldn't unless I leave out something too tempting, no more accidents on the floor, he will go outside without me, I can leave him home for a few hours and not worry...he's just wonderful!
He's still a bit scared of new people, but doing better at warming up to them... I'm just so in love with him!!!  I mean, I loved him from the first moment I saw him, but I've really fallen in love with so completely now. He is my boy.....
Ok, so I'm a sappy weirdo dog person. I'm ok with it!
Do any of you remember this time? When your dog really started to get it together? What a beautiful time!

Finn's mama (vicki)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: He's a dog! A real dog!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 08:37:30 pm »
The first time I remember Bear was acting grown up was when he was around 5 months and something scared him. We lived on a ranch with horses and lots of cats, but one night he got spooked and out of nowhere came this growl. It was deep and so different from anything we'd ever heard before. I was impressed and scared by his reaction. It turned out to be coyotes in the field and he helped to us to bring the horses in and keep them safe. I was so proud of my little boy!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 10:28:52 pm »
We had never seen any protective instinct from Finn till today actually. My husband was playing with our other dog Sakwa, and she started groweling at him. Finn looked up at him, but stayed in his spot. Then Sakwa actually got pissed and bit him! When she bit she was making some not nice noises. Finn stood up and postured, and was ready to go defend my husband!
Sakwa had a bit of food agression when we got her and we broke her of it...and sometimes when she plays she forgets she's playing....so my husband flipped her and growled at her. A few minutes later he started to play with her again to see what she's do and she got testy again, so he flipped her again. Later today he started playing with her and she didn't make a sound! But it was neat to see Finn jump to attention! I hope he gets protective as he gets older. Not to attack, but to intimidate perhaps...

Vicki

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 01:22:53 am »
I love your avatar pic - you are so completely blissed out, in Doggie Nirvana! Its so sweet.  ;D What kind of dog is Finn?

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 01:25:20 am »
OH, Irish Wolfhound! DUH! LOL
Didn't notice what discussion group we were in here... nevermind!

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 12:15:13 pm »
I found that my dobes got it together faster than my danes, dobes at about 6 mopnths, danes at about a year. Before that they are generally housebroken, but still really destructive if left unsupervised. I think dobes are born with protective instincts, especially since they seem to choose one person from the family to be their personal person, and attach themselves to that person most. My danes just love everyone in the house.
Stella