Author Topic: New--and unexpected--great dane owner  (Read 5340 times)

Offline thereseiam

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New--and unexpected--great dane owner
« on: December 08, 2005, 12:14:08 am »
I was driving to work a few days ago, the temperature was -5 with a -20 windchill when I saw a black great dane trotting up the road.  We live in the country, and people dump animals in our area all the time--but to dump any dog, let alone a very short haired one on a sub-zero day??

I've only had her a short time, but I'm already in love with her and the breed, so provided her old owner doesn't show up (and that person has some explaining to do if he/she wants her back--she was underweight, extremely wormy, and had no ID or microchip) she found her forever home.

I already had four dogs, a German shepherd, Tory, a dobe/border collie cross, Baxter, and two English bulldogs, Lola and Nelson before this great dane, Gracie, came into our life, and thankfully she has a super disposition so she settled in easily.  She was very scared of men at first, but my husband is pretty soft spoken, so as long as he doesn't move quickly, Gracie is fine, and getting better all the time.

I'm trying to learn everything I can about this breed, and am already scared about bloat, especially since Gracie needs to gain about 10 pounds.   My vet thinks she is between 10-12 months, and she certainly still has a lot of puppy in her--pretty funny having a 101 pound puppy around!

I look forward to hearing from everyone, and learning lots from those of you who have had these big dogs for awhile. 

Therese

Kiahpyr

Re: New--and unexpected--great dane owner
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 12:19:10 am »
Welcome to BPO!! I'm so glad you found Gracie and was able to give her a wonderful home. I'm April and I am owned by a 9 month old great pyrenees named Kiah.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 12:31:59 am »
Welcome to BPO.  Looks like this girl got a new Mom for Christmas.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 12:35:30 am »
Hi and welcome!  It sounds like Gracie has found a great home!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 12:38:18 am »
Welcome to BPO!  Great Danes are sooo great and sooo sweet, you are going to love Grace!  I am a (semi) new Dane owner too....I am owned by Tonka a 6 month old Mantle.

WE WANT PICTURES!
I am kind of a big deal!

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 12:52:04 am »
That's GREAT you took her in!  It's been miserably cold here in the single digits and I know Koby can't stay out for long before he's freezing!!  If you hadn't found her I don't think the outcome would have been very good!!  BUT you did find her and you sound like you already love her to bits so CONGRATS on the new addition!  I'm sure you'll have the weight put back on her in no time! ;D

Andi

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 12:54:30 am »
Welcome.
I am so glad your girl found you! Please feel comfortable enough to ask anything, there are alot of great people here to help you out.
But I agree with Stacey, we need pictures!
Stella

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 04:04:51 am »
Hello and welcome!!

My name is Chris, and I am owned by a husky/shep mix Keiko, and a great dane Gunther.

I'm a first time dane owner too, as I think alot of people on here are.   ;)  , althought probably not as suddenly as you.   :D  Feel free to ask away any questions that you have.

And I agree, we need pics.  Lots and lots of pics.  Of your whole crew.  I love english bulldogs.

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 05:16:09 am »
Happy early Christmas present!!! 
Gracie is a wonderful name. 
Pictures please....of Gracie and her new siblings.
 ;D

The over 100 lb pup is such fun.   I love seeing peoples faces when I tell them Daisy isn't a year yet and weighs 107 lbs!   

Enjoy her and welcome to BPO!!!

-Wendy
psst.....did I mention pictures?  ;)
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 11:07:39 am »
Welcome!!  It's wonderful that you have taken in that girl and given her a home and a wonderful name.  We're all wishing you many happy years with her.  And, as has been said previously, we will definitely need to see some pictures!
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 11:13:24 am »
Hello,

My name is Ang, and I've got the bestest Dane baby in the world Sanity.  (I'm not biased or anything.)  Any questions you have just post them here.  Danes outnumber any other breed on this board (Muwahahahaha, you will become base with us!), so there are a lot of people to help you out!

BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 11:26:49 am »
I never see any cool dogs running down the street begging to go home with me.  You and Gracie are very lucky.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Icerotti

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 12:08:56 pm »
That is fantastic that you were able to take her in. You have a very big heart.
HI, I'm Michelle. I am owned by a 7 yr old rotti Puck and a 7 month old Vizsla, Farley.
There are very  knowledgable people here who have danes and will be able to give you great advice. Welcome.

oh yeah..pictures would be great of all your crew ;) ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 12:09:30 pm by Icerotti »

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 12:25:49 pm »
Thank goodness you found her and took her in! Lucky girl! I'm sure she was cccccold out there! I have a dog "Zoot" who has the same type of coat as a Dane and I had to buy him a sweatshirt to keep him warm even when he is inside!!!
Good luck with your girl! Congratulation s! ;D

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 03:20:19 pm »
Wow, you are a wonderful person to take her in (and so is your husband!)  I think my husband would have a heart attack if I brought a Dane home to add to the Great Pyr, 2 Papillons and 2 cats!  She is so lucky to have found you.  Good luck!  I don't know much about Great Danes, but there are a lot of GD owners here, so I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat