Author Topic: Hip Dysplasia  (Read 2483 times)

aklatter

Hip Dysplasia
« on: December 08, 2005, 03:06:00 pm »
HI,
   I have a question about hip dysplasia. My friend that has a Labernese,
She is almost 1yr old and has server HD on one side. My question is their breeder gave a 1yr health guarantee plus a 5-generation on both sides hip clearance is the breeder liable for the surgery?
Thanks for reading have a good day.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Hip Dysplasia
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 03:10:50 pm »
Who certified the hips?  OFA OVC or PennHipp...tho se are the only hip certifications i am aware of...OVC is just canadian OFA...

You have available to you whatever is in the signed contract. and a contract is only as good as the breeder that issues it
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 03:29:51 pm »
What does the contract say will be done?

A good contract will state what will be done by the breeder if the dog is found to be dysplastic for instance....

My Rotts contact read:
 If the above dog is found to be dysplastic by the OFA  at age 24 months, a repeated X-ray will be taken by a vet of the sellers choice. If both x-rays receive a rating below OFA Fair the dog will  be neutered at the buyers cost. Further surgical treatment will be split 50/50 between the owner and seller if found to be necessary by buyers, sellers and if needed a third outside vet.

My first Vizslas read:
If the above dog is unable to pass OFA at age 24 months the above dog will be Spayed at the buyers cost. One half of the original selling cost of 500.00 will be refunded to the buyer. At that time co-ownership will also be halted.

As you can see both contracts state what will be done if the dog is found to have HD. Any good contract does for if no outcome is stated there are no legal grounds to stand on.

There are contracts that state the dog will be returned to the breeder and replaced with another...I do not think these contracts are fair since I would hope that after 2 years (even on year) the buyer would not want to give up his/her dog.

My puppies contracts will read as my Rotts did.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 03:34:55 pm by VdogLover »

aklatter

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 04:29:07 pm »
Thank you all for the replies I will pass it on.
Thanks again

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 11:40:01 am »
There are a lot of vets out there that say genetic dysplasia of only one hip is just not so but is probably an injury.  If genetic it needs to affect both hips.  Something to consider and there is lots of info on the internet

aklatter

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 06:39:07 pm »
Thanks
          That is very intresting.