Author Topic: Ummmm OK. Macros. Help.  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Ummmm OK. Macros. Help.
« on: December 08, 2005, 06:29:43 pm »
At my interview, the guy interviewing me asked if I knew Macros in Excel.  I didn't know what Macros were, so I said I didn't know, then told him the formulas and sheets I'd created in Excel.  Once he heard the stuff I'd done he was confident that I'd have no problem with doing macros.

Well after I did like 5 Quickbook tutorials, I decided to look up Macros.  Looked easy enough to do, but I'm confused.  Is this just a preset?  Like if you open an new notebook, and want it set up a certain way do you just run that macro?  Is it formula related?  I'm so confused! :'(
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
Re: Ummmm OK. Macros. Help.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 11:04:54 pm »
I haven't used this feature but from what I understand an excel macro is simply a way to automate a task or tasks in excel. 
If you go to google and enter:
excel macro
you will get hits on free tutorials and explanations of macro usage.

Hope this helps.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 11:13:14 pm »
A marco would record keystrokes, like "File, Save as" then wait for your input. Yeah, if you can do formulas, you can do macro's.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 11:19:16 pm »
It's just a little embedded program that performs a function for you. You could be as elaborate as you want, using Microsoft Visual Basic or Microsoft Script.  It sounds worse than it is, It could be something as simple as populating another cell when one is filled in, creating a chart when you push a button, or you could create an input form to fill in the spreadsheet when first opened.  If you have excel, try creating a few using the record function, and then edit them to see what was created using (T)ools - (M)acro - (M)acros from the drop-down menu.

Maybe this will help:
http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC011506201033

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 11:32:55 pm »
OK so it looks like those things that look really hard and aren't.  I'm gonna do that tutorial tomorrow (thanks Brandon).  Hopefully I can figure it out.  Gotta get past those blonde roots :P
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."