Author Topic: Somewhat of a diagnosis for Cowboy  (Read 3659 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Somewhat of a diagnosis for Cowboy
« on: December 09, 2005, 12:34:21 pm »
Somehow the info on Cowboy ended up on Newf-List (whoever it was, thank you!) and here's part of an email I received:

"I think that it used to be small breeds disease because their noses are just
physically more near to the ground so they can pick up infection more
easily.  It looks that this disease has viral origins and it was suggested in
one epidemiologic study that this is one of newly emerged viral diseases,
thats why it hits harder and is more infectious. 

There is a continuous change in viral epidemics with respect to clinical
symptoms, their duration or disappearance and the emergence of new diseases.
This can be observed both in human and animal diseases. This evolution of
virus diseases is mainly related to three factors: etiological agent, host
and environment. As far as genetic alterations of the virus are concerned,
two major mechanisms are involved: 1) mutations such as recombination and
reassortment; 2) selection for resistance or susceptibility . The
epidemiology of newly emerged virus diseases in man and animals, such as
AIDS and hemorrhagic fevers, and bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE),
canine hemorrhagic gastroenteriti s or respiratory syndrome in horses will be
discussed."

So that's the diagnosis at this point:  CHE or canine hemorrhagic gastroenteriti s

Ugly, UGLY disease!

Icerotti

Re: Somewhat of a diagnosis for Cowboy
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 12:37:42 pm »
Poor Cowboy. As horrible as it is, at least you know what caused it now. Glad to hear he is doing well. :D

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 12:43:20 pm »
Although I hate that he has anything wrong, at least you now know what you are dealing with.  What is the treatment for this?  I am very glad to hear that he is doing better this morning.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 03:48:31 am »
I'm glad it has a name.  That's the first step to curing/treating the problem better.

Although I thought it was not thought to be all that infectious?  Since Chester did not show symptoms.  Was Cowboy in isolation at the vet's?  Or is this quote talking about something else?
It looks that this disease has viral origins and it was suggested in
one epidemiologic study that this is one of newly emerged viral diseases,
thats why it hits harder and is more infectious. 

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 08:59:41 am »
Hi guys,

I am glad Cowboy's problem might have a name too.  Maybe now they can have some more insight to help him.  I am glad that you posted yesterday that he seems to have turned the corner.  Scary stuff this pup had to go through and you guys too.  Our little Lhasa Apso, who of course is close to the ground, has had the HGE.  The first time it happened with thought OMG!,there was so  much blood from our little one that we thought she was dying.    She was taken to the vet and that's what they diagnosed because she had such bloody mucousy (sp) stools.  They put her on IV in the  hospital for 2 days and a tip that our vet gave us was to put a little fiber in her food each day.  She has only had 3 episodes of this in 2 yrs now but, we can sometimes tell if the symptoms start with the loose stools with just a bit of blood and the 2 times we have noticed, she gets like the little shakes.  She has gone to the vet the other 2 times also but, hasn't had to stay over again.  Our little pup is 15 1/2 yrs. old and is doing pretty well.  For the HGE we just sprinkle like half a tsp. and mix it in with her food.   Don't know what the fiber does except makes sure the stools stay ok but, this has worked for our little one for over 2 yrs.

Good luck and keep getting stronger Cowboy!

Anita & the 3 Newfies

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 01:35:41 pm »
UGHHH!  You mean she's had it more than once??  Now that really isn't fair! 

What kind of fiber do you have her on?  Cowboy is on white rice, boiled chicken, turkey, or beef, non-fat cottage cheese, non-fat yogurt, and TONS of medications.  He's continuing to improve, though.  Head up and interested in life again.  I even caught him doing a little bit of playing with Chester last night!

I just don't want him to have to go through this again!  AGHGHHHH! :(

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 01:40:42 pm »
Although I thought it was not thought to be all that infectious?  Since Chester did not show symptoms.  Was Cowboy in isolation at the vet's?  Or is this quote talking about something else?

Cowboy was isolated at the vets, as much as he could be since he has to be watched for seizures all the time as well.  Everybody who worked with him had to glove and mask.  For  some reason, one of the odd things about the disease is that no second dog in a family has ever gotten the disease.  No one knows why.

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 09:04:28 am »
HI guys,

Sorry I didn't write back sooner, I was trying to finish up decorating yesterday.  Kiko was on just plain old fiber powder from Wal Mart.  It is a big round white container, I think it says Equate brand which I guess is Wal Mart brand.  It has no flavor or anything to distract her from the smell of her food.  Just mix it in with his food and maybe add a dash of warm water so it dissolves.  She also has Flagel (sp.) from the vet if she starts with the tremors and loose mucousy diarrehea.  This is some type of special medication, might be an anti-biotic. 

You sound like us, we make chicken breast, ground turkey, ground lamb patties, cottage cheese, ricotta, yogurt, veggies, plus their Solid Gold dry food.  We are nuts but, our big guys seem to be pretty healthy and love to eat.  So if this works for all of them including almost 16 yr. old Kiko and keeps them all healthy, we do it. 

Keep hanging in there!  I hope Cowboy continues on the up and up to healthier days.

Anita & the 3 Newfies