Author Topic: Any and all help, suggestions, etc...for the evil nemesis that are...FOXTAILS!  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Lucy

• Gnawer
  • No sensible shoes
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Ok, I have had it with these things....so far Max in his 3 .5 years of living has had both ears opened up surgically to remove clods of these things, and then next year, his paws had to be surgically opened (in between his TOES..ouch) to remove mass imbedded foxtails...tho usands of denero, green back, money, hills of monetary slop...
A slightly successful photographer/graphic-web designer, does not make a ton of money in my area, because it is CRAZY competitive... I REALLY don't want to see him go through this again, nor do I want to pay for another emergency slice and dice(who knows where they'll be this time...)
I clean ears daily, teeth, brush the monster long coats, and I did NOT see these things in my blond dog...Ella has still not had a problem perhaps because of the triple layer pyre coat..?, but Max...wow.
Now I check the toes very carefully every night, and we had the lawn covered with bark chips which seemed to work, but now, they are EVERYWHERE again, and I can't see any remedy that isn't either dangerous to the dogs, or kills the entire lawn along with the foxtails...the y also embed in the carpet which makes me crazy.
Aside from grooming them daily and checking for these things, does anybody have any other help for these things? I'm in this house, explicitly for the back yard size, and fence, so that the pooches have their place to run and play, but each year I dread the foxtails...:(
from under the fur....

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
I am right with you!  I hate FOXTAILS!!  We've gone through the same thing with vets over the years....my springer spaniel got one up his nose!  UGH!!  We've done a couple of things.  Number ONE...take a weekend and just pull weeds....every single one! in your yard!  We get a weed wacker and go over all the wild parts of the yard where the dogs (two Newfies) wander and just get those #$%% things out!  Also, I don't take them walking in wild areas from about April to November.  And they both get checked every night before we go to bed!   We tried the dog boots (XXL) and, I have to say, there is nothing sillier looking that a Landseer Newf wearing boots!  My husband and I were rolling with laughter!  He truly looked like a small Holstein cow....complet e with hooves!  When he walked, he kicked his feet out....which added to the hilarity....a small Holstein cow with gender issues!!!

If anybody else has any ideas how to get rid of the foxtail issues....plea se let us all know!!!

Offline brat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
great visual...'howling' with laughter here..been threatening lucy joy with boots....she hates getting her feet wet - no rain please!!!but I had no idea what foxtails are....so thanks for the education!!! ;)