Author Topic: Reminder to the BPO old people (Me included!)  (Read 6081 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Reminder to the BPO old people (Me included!)
« on: December 10, 2005, 09:12:28 pm »
I know the agreeing posts are voluminous, but can I add another one?  I'm new here, but I noticed right away how people phrase responses here that are, for the most part, nonthreatening and helpful.  Most people really do love their pets, and to ask and honest innocent question and get attacked is what drove me from several boards when I just wanted some sense of community and support.  I am TERRIBLY guilty of asking stupid questions, and it's not because I don't want to do the best by my animals, I just honestly don't know.  A rude reply simply makes the person resent the advice and try to go it alone, which in the end is less beneficial to the animals.  I once asked a question on another board based solely on some bad advice from my vet, and was completely attacked for being an idiot who had no clue what was best for my animals.  That said, I apologize in advance for asking stupid questions (and posting where the posting has been done), and thanks in advance for getting patient replies.

I saw this on another post, that's on a sticky and I know that I usually don't look at the stickies.  I thought I'd bring it up because it kind of hit home for me. 

You all know how even tempered and patient I am (For you new people, that's me being immensely sarcastic.)  Sometimes I get irritated with people who post things that I think are trite and trivial.  I think that any idiot who's getting a dog should know these things.  I get mad when I have to deign to answer things that we've all answered a billion times.  Then reading Jessica's post it dawned on me.

Not everyone has the luck that we do to have researched our medical resources.  Not everyone has breed knowledge.  Some people don't even know how to use the internet, and the ones that have base knowledge don't know the first place to go to to look for an answer.  Even though BPO hasn't been around long at all in comparison to some of the other groups online, our archives are HUGE and sometimes the search engine does't find what we need.

Also some people are getting advice from people they think know what they're doing.  Why wouldn't Jessica trust her vet?  The friend that just got a GSD puppy's FIL insisted to be that if you put a dog with prick ears on a cable run, they'll go deaf from the zipping noise.  My aunt told me that I had to feed my Dane pup 12 times a day. 

So just a reminder.  These people want what's best for their dogs, just like we do.  Be patient, be understanding, and answer the same question 80 million times.  It won't kill you :)  Trust me.  If we can do the saddle thing, we can do this ;)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Reminder to the BPO old people (Me included!)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 09:38:58 pm »
Very well said Ang! Nobody knows everything and we learn from each other every day. Whether you are new or old to BPO....questio ns, comments, concers, and suggestions are ALWAYS welcome in a respectful manner.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 09:49:56 pm »
If we can do the saddle thing, we can do this Wink

Absolutely!! I LOVE it!  Great point, Ang!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 12:25:58 am »
How old should Tonka be before I breed him to my toy poodle, Bogart (also, at what age is a good time to do a sex change operation on a toy poodle....I want him to be a breeding bitch)
I think they will be the cutest puppies...anyo ne want one? ;)

I am kind of a big deal!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 12:27:24 am »
I just about spit out my soda when I read that Stacey....not funny but yes, very cute indeed.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 12:31:52 am »
LOL, did I scare you??  Just kidding guys!  I agree with the post Ang stickied here.....I love BPO because (aside from questions like my above joke, I am sure) everyone is so friendly and understanding and willing to help with what may seem like ridiculous or petty problems.
Thanks guys for all of your support.....
does anyone know how to make a fetus stop kicking my A**????
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 11:36:01 am »
Whenever I see someone bombarded for asking an innocent question, I email them and send them here.  Actually, to be totally honest, I think I wrote it just to convince myself :P  You know, if you say something "Outloud" it makes it true.   ;D

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 11:44:24 am »
How old should Tonka be before I breed him to my toy poodle, Bogart (also, at what age is a good time to do a sex change operation on a toy poodle....I want him to be a breeding bitch)

would that make the pups "tonka-doodles?"

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 11:45:57 am »

:o ROTFL, yes I know you are kidding.  Okay Ang, let's see you do your best, in all BPO politeness to correct her and talk her out of it. This should be fun and great practice in patience. Ang, Stacey, are you two game?

Deena

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 12:28:19 pm »
Ok I am game.....pract ice makes perfect Ang lol.

My "Not So Great Dane" designer pups are going to be the cutest little things....I think I will sell them for $1500!  They are going to be really big and they won't shed and they may even talk like Scooby Doo! 
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 12:30:55 pm »
Ummm yeah..... this would be one of the posts I would stay FAR away from, watch everyone else deal with it and PM people how angry I am and use bad words.

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 12:39:04 pm »
Ang, I'm so disapointed!!!  :D  Where are your standards?!

Anybody else out there want to reply?  Come on...Stacey needs some help here!  :D

Deena

P.S. Seriously, Ang, it was a good thing that you brought this up.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 12:46:54 pm »
OK FINE!  Stacey, I would abstain from breeding your Dane to your toy poodle as your Dane's "Breeding equipment" is roughly the size of your whole poodle, and as such will make your poodle explode. 

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 12:50:11 pm »
ROFLMAO.....

What about KY....he is a pretty tough poodle.....and he spent some hard time in a kennel once for running away (and you know how those kennel dogs are when they have been inside for awhile!)
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 01:25:46 pm »
Ang, (clapping here) you did marvelous!  ;D ;D ;D