Author Topic: Introducing Brody  (Read 2915 times)

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Introducing Brody
« on: December 11, 2005, 12:06:11 am »
Hi everyone,
Thought I would take some time to introduce my dogs one by one. I already introduced Pita so now I would like to introduce Brody. Brody is 7 months old and a purebred great dane. I rescued Brody when she was 9 weeks old. I hadn't been looking for another great dane I already had Tonka a male great dane, Robin my lab mix, and Pippy my chihuahua. However I got a call from one of my friends saying that they knew someone who had a great dane that they wanted to get rid of. My first response was whats wrong with her? However being an animal lover I went over to look at her. I was SOOO glad that I did. When I pulled up to the house I was greeted by several kids and several barking shih tzu (sp?). I kind of scanned the area for a great dane and didn't see one. I went to the door and the house smelled of urine. I was handed a cat carrier. I'm thinking to myself NO WAY!! When I took the cat carrier from this lady I poured pee allover myself, I looked inside to see a tiny black puppy literally crammed inside this carrier. I couldn't get the screws out to take the top off of the carrier so I had to move her side to side up and down to get her out. I felt like I was delivering a baby. She didn't have any skin on the pads of her feet, she had ants all over her, she was covered in her own poop and pee, she had burns all overher legs from the urine. I couldn't leave her behind so I wrapped her in my shirt thanked the lady and left. I found out that the lady's husband had bought her and the lady didn't want her. Brody's parents are both AKC but because they bred a Harlequin to a Fawn AKC wouldn't acknowledge Brody's litter. SO I was given copies of the parents papers. I took this scared, filthy, starving puppy home, I gave her a warm meal, a hot bath and made an appointment for the vet. I tracked down the breeder to see if she wanted Brody back after meeting with her she decided that because Brody had been through 2 weeks of abuse, was skittish, under weight and had a LOT of sores on her that she would never be able tosell her. The lady asked if I would be interested in keeping Brody. She paid all of the vet bills to get Brody's sores treated. Brody is now 7 months old and the best dog. All of her wounds have healed. She has a couple scars from them but they aren't nearly as bad as I had expected them to be. She still has a lot to overcome. She is afraid of new people but warms up quickly with reassurance from me. She is VERY bonded to me she loves to be held and cuddled...you try telling her no ;) lol. I still every nite sit in the rocking chair and rock her. She sleeps at my feet, and is never very far from me. She is still pretty skittish and jumps at new noises and cowers if my husband gets to loud. But she is awesome with the kids and a very loyal dog. Here are a few recent pictures of her.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Kiahpyr

Re: Introducing Brody
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 12:12:20 am »
Bless your heart for keeping Brody. She's a cutie!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 12:50:08 am »
She looks very sweet!  I'm glad she has a nice home with you.  Such a sad start.  She looks happy now!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 12:51:25 am »
Is she considered black?  I didn't know you could get a black dog from a harl to fawn breeding.

She looks very sweet, and I'm glad she found a great and loving home.

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 05:07:36 am »
Is she considered black? I didn't know you could get a black dog from a harl to fawn breeding.

I believe she is considered black. Thats what the breeder was calling her and she looks almost identical to Robin who is black with the small white blaze on her chest.(except Robin is short and fat while Brody is tall and skinny) She might not look very black in the pictures because we live in Arizona (on the military base) and our backyard isn't grass but dust and they roll in it. Its terrible how dusty they are. I call them my little dust bunnies.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 11:17:42 am »
Brody is a beautiful dog, and she is so lucky to have you taking care of her now. She looks like one of the sweetest dogs in the world! :)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 11:49:22 am »
Is she considered black?  I didn't know you could get a black dog from a harl to fawn breeding.

There are many time where fawn is bred to black, or Harl is bred to black, plus throw the fact that Black is dominant, and you can get a black out of almost any litter :P  It's why good breeders research as far back as they can in the colors because they want to know what they can get.  Like discussed in the White factoring thread, Dane genetics are very complicated, especially with all the colors.  With Fawn being most prevalent, and having the best specimens (For the most part) several decades ago, they were bred into every color family.  One of the MOST common were Fawn to Black, and a black puppy from that breeding was bred to Harl.  Knowing that it's easy to surmise that a black puppy could be born to fawn and harl parents.  :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline -Molly-

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 07:45:49 pm »
o mi goodness!  I can't beleive people do that!  Bless your heart you rescued her!!!
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.