Author Topic: Questions...  (Read 3975 times)

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Questions...
« on: December 11, 2005, 10:39:42 pm »
I have a couple of questions...

When do newfs usually start to drool? I met a 4 1/2 month old and she didn't have any sign of drool on her.

I was talking to a trainer for Cooper the other day, and mentioned that I want a newf, he said that newfs have extremely bad hip dysplasia and that they are so inbred... is this true? I know big dogs get hip dysplasia, but I heard from a couple of breeders that it's not any worse than labs...

any other comments/questions?
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 10:46:50 pm »
Some drooly breed dogs have dry mouth.  Ie ther are Danes that never drool and others that have monogrammed drool cloths that their mommy's carry around.  She could just be a dry mouthed Newf.

As for what the trainer said..... Ummmm nice way to put this.  He probably doesn't know anything about the breed other than some poorly bred examples that he's seen.  Yes, all giant breeds are prone to hip problems, however a good ethical breeder does tests for these prior to mating and while it doesn't guarantee that there will be no hip problems, it lessens the chance that they will appear.  Just like in ANY breed, there are problems, and it's easy to make generalization s from the ones we've seen, and usually people don't buy from good breeders.  So my rambling is supposed to point to, go to a good breeder and your chances aren't any greater than that of any other giant dog :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:56:20 pm »
Once again, I agree with Anky.   ;D ;D

About the drooling: Chester is now almost 10 month old and he has the occasional
unfrozen icicle hanging off a jowl, but really hardly ever.  Cowboy only drools a lot when it's hot or if we've been on a longish walk.  I've seen some newfs, however, have to wear a bib all the time.  I think some of it is breeding and some is just luck.

And I think you are right:  dysplasia is heartbreaker in any of the large breeds and they are more prone to it than smaller dogs,  but most reputable breeders do everything they can to not breed dogs that could throw a dysplastic dog.  It does happen....but about like labs.

I think SO many people we all talk to are experts on our breeds and will many times just quote what they heard  on TV, what happened to their neighbor, etc.  Nothing based on scientifc fact.  That's one of the joys of BPO...we challenge each other to get the facts right.  Sadly, with Cowboy, I spend a lot of time with vets and have friendships with most of them so they are all great sounding boards.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 11:36:29 am »
Each Newf is different and each expereince with them unique.  Ditto on what the others have said but in my experience with Bear- he had growing pains as a pup but hips/elbows are great now! And yes, he drools like a faucet.

Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 05:39:47 pm »
Thanks for all the advice!!!  :)

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Offline coral

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 07:24:47 pm »
Yep, everyone else is right... I have 3. One drools like a faucet (Dolan). He indeed where's a bib when we go in public. I have to wash his front legs and front chest every night at least once, and after every long term treat, especially bully sticks. Keegan drools when there is food around or if he's really excited. He didn't start drooling until about 12 months. Oliver, the little foster boy, i've only seen drool once. And i'm not even convinced it was his. LOL

And what everyone has said about HD is true. Good breeders are doing the right test and pairing the right partners to stack their odds in favor of not getting HD. Does that guarantee anything? No. But it does help to make you feel better and give you better odds.

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 11:16:59 pm »
the 4 1/2 month old is so adorable... and for sale  ::)

I would so love her... but it's out of our price range right now...

Hopefully one day  :)

Offline coral

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 11:19:04 pm »
Just be prepared... Newfs are like potatoe chips, ya can't have just one. :D

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 09:42:29 pm »
do you have to "wipe" newfs after the "potty"?  :P

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 02:38:38 pm »
I have had 4 Newfs over the last ten years... I have three of them now, and I have to agree with what everyone else has said. Some Newfs drool alot, others don't. Some of them shake it so it hangs from the ceiling.. Others don't! ;D. Our first Newfs breeder told us if we didn't want too much slime pick a Newf with tighter jowls. I think the main time mine have slime is when they have been for a long walk or when I am eating in front of them ;)

As for HD, all my pups were bought from breeders who did the health checks and not one of them has had problems with their hips. My 10 year old Newf (Molly) is still happy to run around the garden and play with Honey (11 months old) :)

Having said that, Honey's brother, Kitten... Yes Kitten ;), has had terrible problems. He started limping when he was around 6-7 months old, at first it was put down to growing pains as it kept moving form one leg to another. But then even when on pain killers he started limping in the show ring so we had his elbows x-rayed. he was diagnoised with OCD. We went to another vet with more experience and he also diagnoised elbow dysplasia. He had an operation a week ago, so we are just hoping once he gets over it he can live a full and happy life :)

The breeder of my first two Newfs told me the other week that she puts her pups onto adult food when they are four months old, as it stops them growing too quickly. So that is what I will be doing with the next one. We think Kitten's problems are due to him growing too quickly.
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 05:00:06 pm »
I hope everything works out with Kitten =]