Author Topic: Please take a look at this  (Read 13936 times)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Please take a look at this
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2005, 08:06:58 pm »
bump for Mastiffmommy

Sofia

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2005, 08:32:04 pm »
thanks, and thanks for the links, I was outside and put up my christmas reefs and came in too late to make any calls today. I have printed out the whole stupid 16 pages and am going to go sit down and highlight all the things that are questionable (dang the whole thing is going to be highlighted) >:( The go to work tomorrow morning.

Good idea with the camera, I did visits like this in sweden, not to puppy mills but to horse breeders and horders, back then we didnt have the cameras in the phones, which is great when you dont want to show off taking the pics. So both phone and camera and me are going.

And it is a really good idea to question the vets, because there is a lot on that site a honest vet can not possibly stand behind. And as said, if they do, there is always the ethical board of veterinary medicine.

Thanks for the help, Ill post as soon as I know something new

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2005, 08:33:55 pm »
I'm thinking about emailing the humane society board of directors to let them know that an officer is listed on the reference page.  If Mother okays it, off it goes tonight.

Sofia

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2005, 12:17:37 am »
Aaaaah!!  I just saw this.  I have a major headache right now and can't read the site, but did read all the comments posted here, and my headache has gotten much worse with every post I saw.

I guess I don't know how animal cruelty laws work for each state, but I do know that in some states you cannot keep them caged 24 hrs.  Someone quoted that they never touch the ground until you take them home.  Ummmm......... ....sounds like cruelty to me, b/c it means no one is playing with them, letting them play with each other, or learning how to walk properly. 

Second ummmm......... ......sorry, but most licensed veterinarians do have licensed vet techs, and they prefer them to be that way.  How do I know this?  B/c I had a h*ll of a time getting a job out here b/c I'm not a licensed tech.  Only very small clinics will hire a full staff of unlicensed techs b/c they can't afford to hire licensed ones.

Third ummmm......... ...I agree about finding out who this vet is.  I have a very hard time believing he would even want to be mentioned on this website, let alone be associated with this person.

Fourth ummm.......... ...I don't know if she really has all those animals at her facility or if she brokers out for other people, but there is no way someone can have that many animals without breaking some sort of health code or something.

This person needs to have a serious reality check.  Maybe she needs some psychiatric help.  Anyone know of a good mental institution they can refer her to?

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2005, 02:19:47 am »
you have several good points there, and I was thinking about the vet tech too. I have never been to a vet where the vet tech isnt an actual VET TECH. the only ones who are not, are the ones who do nothing but book appointments and paperwork, and they call them vet. assistants,

The more in detail you look at this, the more frustrated I get. BUT there are sooooo many things to poke around in, so I actually have good hope that there will be something overlooked from her side.

Good brainstorming all

Marit

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2005, 11:06:21 am »
So I called the vet, well there is actually two vets listed both of the working at the same animal hospital. One of them were busy, go figure, the other one was out due to an injury. BUT I got to speak to the injured vets father, who also is a vet there and from what I understand the owner of the animal hospital. I asked if these two vets were correctly listed as ref's for this facility. He said yes his son was the one working the most with them. I asked how as veterinarians they didnt mind being associated with a puppy mill, because that is without a doubt what this facility is, the man said yes more or less. So that is confirmed. He asked if it was urgent, I said, not to me it wasnt, but we are looking into this place and next step is to contact AVMA and see how they feel about their ethical standards having a veterinary hospital with two vet's obviously supporting a puppymill, as their members. He said he didnt know what was on the website, so I suggested that it would probably be a good thing to check that out.

Then I called AVMA, no answer yet, they are in Il though, dont know what time they are on and maybe they dont start this early, I will try again later.

Then called The humane Society of the united states, spoke to a woman who said "ohhh my" and gave me the direct number to their person working with "outreach for companion animals" left a message there, so hopefully I get to talk to her too today.

I also tried the AAHA but they were not open yet, so also there Ill call later.

Ohh I also signed up for the American Breeders board, a place the webiste recommends, for information. That is a place where So called professional breeders i.e puppy mills and design breeders and others like that hang out and talk trash about rescue people. So a good place to pick up whats going on, I am not me lol, I am someone I hope does not exist and will just be there and see what info can be picked up.

Will also call this man.... did you all hear, we assumed it was a woman lol... nope it is a man, and see what breed he suggests for me to get my kids for christmas  >:(

thats that for now, Ill keep you all updated on whats happening and if you can come up with something I am not thinking about please let me know

Marit

Kiahpyr

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2005, 11:11:08 am »
You are an Angel!!!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2005, 11:22:50 am »
Way to go, Marit!! As expected, his "references" aren't totally legit. I can't believe the vet's dad basically admitted it was a puppy mill.

As ZooCrew mentioned, I thought, at first, this person must broker out breeders, too, but as you read through the website you don't see any reference to that and his facility certainly looks like it's huge and set up for multiple breeders. I will say that in the picture it looks VERY clean, but anyone can clean then take a picture. I can't imagine with all those cages that it's that clean very often.  Also, he only gives directions to his place to see the dogs, not other breeding facilities so it must be a one-man operation.

I can't wait to hear what the Humane Society has to say. I would also suggest you go to HSUS.org and find the regional director contact for North Carolina to notify them of this facility and the research you have begun. I imagine they could not only give you some advice but valuable assistance. Our regional office has always been very available and forthcoming with information when i have called on them. Be sure to mention that you are a member of your local rescue organization. It may give you a little more credability.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2005, 11:33:11 am »
Wow - remind me never to piss you off.  Seriously though you are doing a great job and I know the animals appreciate it!!  Keep us updated!!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2005, 11:41:54 am »
I am pretty sure this is one mans thing, and yes it looks clean at first, lab like, as if it is not a breeding facility or even puppy mill, more like a dog factory. BUT after having saved pics enlarged them and took a real good look up close well, the cages are mesh flooring, no pans, there are red rubber mats that dont cover the whole mesh floor, so who knows if they are there for photo only or all the time, but since they are not covering the mesh that is unacceptable, there is a food or water dish in one pic it is extremely dirty almost like caked on dirt. If you look real real close at the dogs, the ones with longer fur, all seem to have been hasty cleaned up, they have that "unfresh" look around the eyes and mouth. Quite a few of the pics have the same dogs, I guess that way they didnt have to clean too many puppies.

Also he could not have put it any clearer that DO NOT come without having called to make an appointment first. That is very typical for "we need to make sure what you want to look at is clean" My bet is that most of the dogs are sold over the internet, and those he never has to worry about anyone coming to look at.

Ohhhh yeah, this vet also stated that they do not give any of the vaccinations, the owner of the facility does that himself..... Quite funny concidering how he is bashing breeders that say they puppies are vaccinated and all they have done is to go to the feed and seed store and bought the vaccine.

It is horrible figures, in my research I came across the legislative director of the Doris Day animal league, they say that 200 000 households bought puppies online in 2004, now thats BAD

Marit

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2005, 11:44:53 am »
Wow - remind me never to piss you off.  Seriously though you are doing a great job and I know the animals appreciate it!!  Keep us updated!!

hahaha thats funny  :D unless you are a puppy mill your okay hehehehe

Marit

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2005, 11:46:29 am »
very, very interesting. i thought the same thing when I saw you absolutely had to call before coming out.

Here's another idea: set the appointment to come out as early as possible in the morning, but show up 1/2 hour to 45 minutes ahead of your appointment time and tell him "I'm sorry I'm so early, but I left early in case I got lost so I wouldn't be late." That way, if he's not done "sprucing up" for your arrival you'll get a better feel for how the facility is actually kept on a daily, no-visitor basis.

I'm going to enlarge the pics in photoshop, too. I can't believe he has wire mesh bottoms to the cages! Their poor little paws!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2005, 11:47:17 am »
Ohhhh yeah, this vet also stated that they do not give any of the vaccinations, the owner of the facility does that himself..... Quite funny concidering how he is bashing breeders that say they puppies are vaccinated and all they have done is to go to the feed and seed store and bought the vaccine.
Marit

Oh wow..... those poor puppies...   You are doing a great job Marit!!!
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2005, 04:03:34 pm »
Great job Marit.

Like I mentioned earlier, I didn't really check out the site.  I had automatically assumed the cages had mesh floors b/c that seems to be always what puppy mills use, and I'm saddened to hear it sounds like that is true.

Keep up the good investigative work.  I hope you can get though and here back from these organizations you are trying to contact.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2005, 01:50:59 pm »
Any news on this, Marit?