Author Topic: What coats/fabrics repel dog hair?  (Read 4098 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
What coats/fabrics repel dog hair?
« on: December 12, 2005, 09:23:31 pm »
I need to buy a new coat, and because my current wool one is COVERED in so much hair all the time. I want to buy one that won't attrack dog hair like that. Here's the problem: the only fabrics that I can think of that repel dog hair are leather and nylon. None of the leather coats I can find have lining, so they aren't going to cut it in the New England weather. The nylon ones I have found so far are either too thin, or they have down filling but are ugly. I have checked a bunch of stores and am coming up empty handed.

Is there a fabric I haven't thought of? Or, does anyone know where I can find a warm dog-hair repeling coat.
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: What coats/fabrics repel dog hair?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 10:09:08 pm »
If you find one that repels drool too, please let me know!!!  At this point, for being out with the dogs, I have a waxed jacket (like the kind hunters wear) which is perfect!  It has big pockets for poo-bags, and it's warm and waterproof!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 10:17:30 pm »
I'll let you know if I find a drool-proof one, but my hopes aren't high - I am worried I won't even find one that isn't a furr-magnet

The main part of my problem problem is that the coat has to look nice, because even just being in my house makes the coat covered in fur so its not like i can have a special coat for taking out zoey. And I wear it all the time, including while I am working - I go out to recess duty in my furry coat and everyone looks at me funny. And the other day we went to a store and needed help and the guy couldn't help us because even standing near our furry coats made his eyes water from allergies  ::)

RIP former BPO

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 10:52:25 pm »
I have a Columbia jacket that seems to do a decent job at repelling the majority of dog hair. What isn't repelled brush off by hand easier.  It is more of a sporty look but it is really warm.   ;D

heres some examples
http://www.northlandmarine.com/ColWomOmniTitanConvertIndex.htm
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 10:55:27 pm by Icerotti »

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 11:11:08 pm »
I would think that any of the nylon type material like london fog type coats  would work well because the weave of the material is a lot tighter than cotton, etc, so that they can repel water.

Just get a faux fur and no one could tell what was dog hair or not :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 11:12:00 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 12:09:58 am »
I also have a Columbia jacket. Washes like a dream, is really warm (-39C this morning) and never gets much hair on it. Mines white so even when there is hair you cant see it. HEHEHEHEEE. We do not wear dark colours at my house and anything that is dark gets put on on the way out the door .
GOOD LUCK!!
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 12:46:33 am »
I don't know how dressy you really want but I like to shop at Wilson Leather.  They have an online store also.  They have some coats that have a nice lining in them. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 07:34:34 am »
Ditto on the Columbia jacket. First jacket I have owned that I do not stop before going out the door to pick my layer of fur off. Great coat removes in layers and comes in many styles and colors. The only warning I have is be sure to get a darker colored one so not to show any dirty paw prints since it tends to hold the stain on the lighter colored ones.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 11:37:55 am »
They need to make pants and dresses out of that material, too! Maybe we could start a new fashion line for people with pets!

i keep a sticky roller in my bedroom, living room, car and office!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 11:44:32 am »
Im in the same boat.My coat is a black wool...well it supposed to be black,right now its furry white.Half the time I leave for work without a coat.BRRRRR!!!So I need help too.Maybe Ill wait until after xmas for SALES!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 11:48:05 am »
vinyl...pretty good non stick fabric.  they don't make coats out of it though.  Silky materials work to a point unless the coat is made with other hair attracting material and fuzz. 

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 11:52:06 am »
Check the equine stores, if you dont have one close, go online. They have lots of real nice coats both jackets, 3/4 length and full length, and since horse people are outdoors a lot you find a lot with real good lining. They are not super dressy. But a lot of the fashion that goes around both with boots, coats and other stuff is taken from there, and then adjusted a bit, with other materials and stuff, materials that do NOT work well with animals lol

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 11:56:48 am »
What about the Carhart coats - they are a canvas with lining (some have lining that can be zipped out for warmer days). My husband loves the Carhart products. They are made for construction-type jobs. They are very durable and don't attract a lot of hair. They are usually a tan color and not real dressy, but not sporty like Columbia.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 04:57:41 pm »
I am going to go sports authority to look at columbia jackets tommorow.

Today Dan tried to convince me that the solution is  to get a newfy so their black hair would cancel out her white hair - can you tell someone is desperate for a puppy  ::)
RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 07:20:26 pm »

Today Dan tried to convince me that the solution is  to get a newfy so their black hair would cancel out her white hair - can you tell someone is desperate for a puppy  ::)

Hahaha...the black fur is my solution too. It works wonders when you can't see it.  ;) Now drool on the other hand is a totally different problem...
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.