Author Topic: Show dog, working dog or a plain, ol' pleasure dog?  (Read 11834 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Show dog, working dog or a plain, ol' pleasure dog?
« on: March 11, 2005, 08:43:26 pm »
I was wondering how many people bought their dogs with the intention of showing them, working them or doing nothing but loving them? I know a lot of people (including our breeder) want us to show more than anything although we don't feel it fits our lifestyle. And we would love to make him into a full fledged working dog (draft, water rescue, & therapy) but have yet to start training. So, what do you do with your dogs besides love them?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Heel Biters

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Show dog, working dog or a plain, ol' pleasure dog?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 12:04:41 am »
Well, as you can probably guess from the picture, I use my dog mainly as a labor mule. He packs a ton of horsepower for his size too. Probably close to 40 horses.... er... seahorses.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 12:07:32 am by Heel Biters »

Offline bigpawsadmin

• Michael~
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • This is Bear
    • View Profile
    • Website - www.michaelandjaime.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 12:26:01 am »
Haha! lol
Just trying to keep the bugs off the board!

Offline raaleppo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Raaleppo Saint Bernards
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 04:29:42 pm »
Love them first and take them for walks
Showing is not everybody's cup of tea
I myself love it and  my dogs all through the year always looked forward to going
Even after 20 years it is my passion as it give me the drive to improve on the type of dog I have had the pleasure to be owned by

Offline Newfdad

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 12:09:12 am »
Hey there,
Originally we just wantd a pet and had interest in working. But Tank was pick of the litter so he started showing and finished a year ago.  Got his draft dog title in september and now starting on his CD.  Water dog titles will be last as its the one place this "water dog" isint interested in, Go figure.
 Our little one Miss Sadieloo is almost finished with her championship.  She will also be on her way to getting working titles as well. Here are our kids all groomed up.  (far from how they look everyday)
"Do or Do not...There is no try"

Offline Newfdad

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 12:14:46 am »
Oop's,
Tank is also a Therapy dog..How could I forget that,,,

J
"Do or Do not...There is no try"

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 10:18:03 pm »
All the dogs that have ever owned me have always been for pleasure. With Lucy, I've been thinking about possibly getting into "therapy", she's so calm and people oriented, I think it'll suit her. I guess it's just a matter if I have the time......

Offline affiepoodlegirl

• Ankle Biter
  • Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 11:14:37 am »
Pet only.  Would like to train Ollie to be a therepy dog because he is so sweet and calm.  He loves to lay his head in your lap and be pet.  Harry was a show dog.  I could show him but do not have the knowledge how.  Oakley, he is just Oakley - my wild child. 
Michelle
Ollie
Oakley
Harry

Offline steph

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Naru Akitas
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 11:35:50 am »
We got our first akita just for a pet - our second, I wanted to do obedience with - and we were getting there, but then I had twins, LOL! So now, we practice during naptimes. :o)
Steph
Ecco ^..^_@ & Tom, CGC ^..^_@

Offline MolosserMart.com

• Ankle Biter
  • http://www.MolosserMart.com | Big Dog Supplies
    • View Profile
    • Big Dog Custom Collars & Supplies | Free Collars to Contest Winners!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 11:42:32 pm »
OH THAT IS IT I WANT A NEWF! I AM GETTING A NEWF NEXT WATCH WATCH! OUR NEIGHBORS HAVE ONE AND HE IS OH SO FRIGGIN HANDSOME! I will have to sneak a photo or two of him to share, he can almost walk over the wood fence! lol
Regards & God Bless,
Elena Gb
~~
If God Brings Me to it he will bring me through it!
Agree to disagree.
~~
http://www.MolosserMart.com
Big Dog Custom Collars | FREE Collars to Winners.
~~
http://www.BreederWebDesign.com
Custom Affordable Website Design for Ethical Breeder

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 10:32:17 pm »
I know that training and everything takes alot of time but I hope that alot of us can get the time to fulfill our dreams with our dogs! I mean, besides loving them to death of course. :D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline barnzi2000

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 04:27:38 pm »
Belle is strictly a pet! Although, I am thinking she will make an excellent therapy dog some day.

Peace,
Lisa

Offline wysiwygdoberman

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Wysiwyg Dobermans
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2005, 10:08:56 am »
It depends on you and what you want.   If you plan on breeding, then evaluating or having the dog evaluated in various areas is important - structure, temperament, health and breed type.   I think it is important for most breed representative s to be pets - able to live with their people and be a good member of the household.  

You can do it all.  Don't let anyone say you can't because it is possible.  Showing is fun and easy and builds just as much a relationship with your dog as anything else.  Training if various activities also helps with this relationship and is great fun. All of this enhances your 'pet's' relationship with you.  Go for it all and enjoy the ride  :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 10:25:10 am by wysiwygdoberman »
Nancy and Sid
Am/UDC/Int'l Ch Lancaster's Sassi Godiva, ROM, BH, CD, D-CD, ATT, STT, G-FFB (D-ZTP) E1A, CHIC, Sch/VPG A

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 06:05:42 pm »
My dogs take turns being couch potatoes!!  I do show and occasionally breed for my next show prospect.  And in a moment of insanity I thought my dogs should have some sheep to guard  (I have Great Pyrenees)  Every once and a while they get to go out with the sheep but with showing - its not the best way to keep them in condition so they stay in the kennel pretty much or in the house.  Two are in Raleigh showing this week  Wish me luck!

Offline Kel

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 09:00:06 am »
All of the above!  Lol.  Currently, in addition to being spoiled couch puppers, they train/compete in: obedience, agility, showmanship, carting, dog sledding, packing, flyball, frisbee, musical freestyle, dockjumping, therapy dog work, and search and rescue (specialty areas are wilderness/urban trailing and disaster).