Author Topic: PETRA IS PLAYING OVER THE BRIDGE...  (Read 9124 times)

smohr

PETRA IS PLAYING OVER THE BRIDGE...
« on: December 13, 2005, 01:55:17 pm »
I took Petra in to lead her to the Bridge and would you believe one of the VETS wanted to keep her!!!  He knew a guy who owns a tire store who wanted a dog for a companion with him 15 hours a day, is single (NO KIDS) and wanted a dog.  I said "NO!" and explained (kindly) why Petra has to be let go on.

The Vet was literally angry w/me (this was one of the vets Petra bit) and called in another vet to euthanize her (as if this wasn't hard enough on me) and this vet agreed w/me. 

I had gotten a sedative for Petra yesterday and gave it to her 2 hours before taking her to the vet so she would be calm.  She didn't growl, but was a little woozy getting out of the car.

She had her head on my lap wagging her tail as I talked really jolly to her and she was looking into my eyes as I held her head talking to her.  She closed her eyes and was still wagging her tail and that stopped.  I continued to talk to her till the vet said her heart stopped. 

I have cried all day...I miss her even if she was the devil's spawn.  :-\

:'(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 01:59:48 pm by smohr »

Nicole

Re: PETRA IS PLAYING OVER THE BRIDGE...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 02:01:01 pm »
Oh Smohr!!! I'm totally sobbing right now! You did the right thing. You were so strong, and she was loved right until the moment she went to the bridge!

I'm sorry you had to have that vet treat you that way. But thankfully, the vet that was there with you and Petra understood your pain.

Keep coming here to talk to us, Smohr! We're here for you!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 02:02:56 pm »
She wasn't the devil's spawn....she just had a problem that no one knew how to fix.  I'm sorry you had to go through that with the vet.  OF ALL PEOPLE!!! You'd think he'd understand!  You did the most noble thing that is possible and the hardest!  I don't blame you for crying, because I've got tears as well and I never knew her.  Whatever happened to her before she arrived in your family crossed a wire somewhere deep in her brain, and I honestly believe she just couldn't help it!  Thank you for being there for her; for loving her despite the pain she gave you, for continuing to hope against hope, and for letting your head rule your heart. 

I have nothing but respect and admiration for you!

Hugs!!!

Mari and the Newfs

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 02:15:16 pm »
I'm so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing. She is now free to be a happy puppy. No more demons to confuse her. I am proud of you for giving her a chance. We are here for you when ever you need us.
Take care,
 April

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 02:17:14 pm »
Sherry,
I'm sorry.  We had a horrid ordeal when it was Gyrl's time.  People in those positions shouldn't make a hard decision even harder.  Its just plain wrong.

Godspeed Petra, be at ease for eternity.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 02:22:39 pm »
I am so sorry for your loss. And I am sorry for what you had to go through with that vet in Petra's final moments.
I'm really glad that you were able to lead Petra to the bridge right there by her side. She needed you there with her. I know it is so hard, I have been through it too and it is just so difficult.
She is free now, free from her confusion and now she will never have to hurt the ones she loves anymore.

Peace be with you in this time.

cricket36580

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 02:23:09 pm »
Sending you really big {{{hugs}}}.  I am so sorry you had to go through this.  You made the right desicion...the responsible one for everyone.  I can't imagine how hard this was for you.  You go ahead and sob, baby.  We're here to catch your tears...

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 02:28:51 pm »
It was a very hard decision to make, but a responsible one. My heart goes out to you at this difficult time. Even through the difficulties you formed a bond and a great love with her. You will carry that with you always. She taught you many lessons in your time together and made you a stronger person for loving her. You are in our thoughts. Godspeed lil Petra, may you have the peace you deserve.
Michelle

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 02:32:59 pm »
I am so sorry. I can only repeat what the others have already said, but you did the right thing by Petra. She is at peace now. My thoughts are with you.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 02:33:10 pm »
Sherry...your love and devotion to Petra will be with her always. Even though she is not physically here anymore, I know that she feels you loving her as she looks down upon you from above.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 02:33:35 pm »
I am so sorry, Sherry.  Knowing it was the right thing to do doesn't make it any easier.  My heart goes out to you today...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 02:43:02 pm »
I am sobbing with you - here at my desk at work! :'( :'(
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Stephanie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 02:44:50 pm »
Oh Sherry, I am so sorry  for you. I know how much you love Petra and that is so heartbreaking. You gave her the best chance she could have ever had. I can't imagine how hard it's been for you, you are a brave person. Petra is now free from the pain she could not let go of. I'll be thinking of you.  :'(

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 02:47:55 pm »
Sherry, we are so sorry about all the grief you have gone through for Petra.

We think that all of us on this board can all say that we are proud of the dedication and courage you have shown in trying to help Petra, and, now, in deciding that it is best to put her to sleep.  At least you have the comfort of knowing that Petra is in no pain.

It is our hope that someday, when you can remember Petra with more smiles than tears, you will be able to help other dogs to live happily.

Deena and Sofia

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 02:53:07 pm »
I'm sorry.
You are in my prayers.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179