Author Topic: PETRA'S HEAD! CAN THEY DO THAT???  (Read 5077 times)

smohr

PETRA'S HEAD! CAN THEY DO THAT???
« on: December 13, 2005, 02:47:07 pm »
???   >:(  I just got a call from the vet's office!!!  I am so mad.  The one vet who was opposed to the euth. has sent Petra's head "off" to see if she had some kind of illness or rabies or something.  Said after I told them about her biting me and my daughter they can do this!!! 

She was up-to-date on all shots and the vet knows this; they have records at their office!

After they get the tests back I can have her ashes. 

Can they do this w/o my consent???

I will never go back to those vets!!!   >:(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 02:48:11 pm by smohr »

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: PETRA'S HEAD! CAN THEY DO THAT???
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 02:49:24 pm »
I'm sorry they are trying to make so much trouble for you while you grieve for Petra.

Sofia

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 02:52:36 pm »
OMG! I don't know if they can do that or not but that is dispicable! I'm so sorry for all of the trouble that these people are putting you through Sherry.  >:(
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 02:56:23 pm »
They maybe able- if they think the animal carried a communicable disease that may present a danger to the other speiceies in society or humans. That is the only reason I can think of.
Still It should have been presented  better to you than over the phone. I am sorry you have to be subject to this kind of treatment.

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:08:28 pm »
If testing needed to be done they certainly could have told you in a more acceptable manner.  A responsible vet would have explained that testing needed to be done...period.    The graphic detail given was rude, insensitive, and uncalled for.
Again, I'm sorry for what you are going through.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 03:12:43 pm »
HOW awful!!  I totally agree...not only should you never go back there but you should write a letter to them explaining exactly why!  Completely unprofessional and uncaring!  You don't need details...and I agree with Wendy.  It should have been explained before!

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 03:45:03 pm »
Had you or somebody been bitten within 10 days of Petra's last day? That's the time of the quarantine period for a bite, and if so, the Health Dept. regs say they have to do the rabies test.  BUT if that's the case, the vet should have told you ahead of time, so you could decide if you wanted to wait until it was 10 days since she'd bitten someone to send her over the bridge.
I'm so sorry you had to go through this. My first dog when I was a kid developed some very severe aggression problems when he was around 7 (in those days we didn't know, now I suspect maybe it was thyroid or a brain tumor) it's never easy to make the decision- but sometimes you have to, for everyone's safety.  I'm remembering you and Petra in my prayers. 

smohr

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 03:56:11 pm »
Petra did bite my daughter (she was wearing pants) and me a few nights ago (as I was feeding her after the gang had left that same night), but it never broke the skin.  Sheesh.  I shoudn't have said a word...

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 08:21:38 pm »
I'm so sorry about everything you are going through.

Unfortunately, I think they are required to test her. I once called animal control about a semi-feral cat I was caring for; I didn't want to give her up, but my ex-boyfriend's mom wanted information, b/c she had scratched her, me, and my ex. I wanted to quarantine her at home (I'd been doing animal rescue long enough at the time to know I could). They basically gave us no option after we told them-it was quarantine her at the pound or at the vet. Well, the vet would have cost a lot. The only other choice was to claim she was lost. I couldn't bring myself to lie to them. I should have gone with the vet or said she left and done it at home. She ended up with a nasty URI that nearly killed her and took several months and about $700 from my pocket to get over. The pound said they were not responsible for the health of animals that are quarantined, though they did send her home with medication originally (it didn't help much, but they tried).

I think when it comes to laws about rabies, there isn't much compromise. That said, the way they told you is horrible. They should have told you up front, for one, and two, why tell you the details unless you want them?? It's very insenstive. I'm very sorry that you are having to deal with all of this.

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 10:15:36 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear this.  The vet and/or his staff should have handled the situation in a more professional and sensitive manner.  It's terrible that they did not take the time to inform you of the procedure in a gentle manner, especially under the circumstances.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 01:50:51 am »
K...I am just confused...I just read a post that said she was still alive???..Please clarify? :-\

Blair

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 02:01:01 am »
My husband said they probably told her that so she wouldnt change her mind about getting the body back, cause the Vet probably wanted to keep her. It was all very wrong and not for the Vet to decide.

Sherry I am so sorry you have to go through this (((hugs))) to you and Petra
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 02:01:35 am by Blair »