Author Topic: Separation Anxiety, real or myth.  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Separation Anxiety, real or myth.
« on: December 14, 2005, 09:06:58 am »
Yesterday, a breeder and I exchanged views regarding separation anxiety.

She believes there is no such thing, just bordem dt lack of stimulation and exercise.

What are your opinions?

Any good articles out there to support the yea or nay?

Thanks,
Deena

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Separation Anxiety, real or myth.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 09:17:39 am »
I think that the problem is that any time a dog is destructive when no one is home, it's chalked up to seperation anxiety.  I believe that there IS Seperation anxiety, but that it is often a misdiagnosis.  I have seen dogs with real SA, and trust me, there's a world of difference between that and a bored dog.I have some good articles but they're on my other computer.

Edited to add:  To simplify it best I can, A bored dog is destructive, an SA dog is self destructive.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 09:23:36 am by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 07:08:05 pm »
I had a Dane that as far as we can piece her story together was left locked in an empty house when her people moved.  She went through a window to get out after several days, I adopted her from someone who caught her wandering the streets. 
That dog had SERIOUS separation anxiety. She would break windows in my house and come looking for me. I'd brought her to my job once when I first got her, the first time I left her alone it took her 2 hours to find me, after that it took more like 15 minutes. She'd show up at my friends' houses, refuse to be caught, and keep looking until she found me.   I barricaded her in a room with only one window, and put plexiglass in the window so she couldn't break it, she ate the window sill and pulled all the sheets and blankets off the beds, pulled all my clothes off the hangers in the closets, and made a big pile of all my possesions in the middle of the room, then burrowed into them.  Her gums were bleeding and full of splinters from the windowsill, and her feet were all bloody where she had tried to claw under the doors. The carpet was shredded (but only under the doors) and the wall under the window was clawed. I put her in a crate and she destroyed it, and injured herself pretty badly trying to get out. I finally screwed a giant hook into the wall, and if I had to leave her I would chain her to the wall with a harness so she couldn't reach the windows. (no, I would not recommend this, but I had run out of ideas)It did work- but the area she could reach was pretty dilapidated by the time we were done.  It took a long time for her to believe I would always come home. She finally did get to where she could stay home alone without being confined-she even stopped breaking the windows.  After a few years I was even able to kennel her when I went on vacation.  Whenever I moved she had to ride back and forth with my belongings, and it made her very anxious until we slept in the new place.  She was about 2 when I got her, and she died in my arms after 10 long wonderful years- best dog I ever had.
Does SA exist? It sure does!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 09:58:43 pm »
I believe in seperation anxiety. Think about it - not just dogs have it, but childrent too. When Zoey was a baby, she had mild seperation anxiety. If we were in a room together full of toys, she would be perfectly content even if i was just sitting on the couch watching tv. As soon as I left the room, she would start crying, even though the floor was still covered in her toys. She didn't destroy things, just cried and howled.... Luckily, she grew out of it.
RIP former BPO

Offline HerbaMonster

• Gnawer
  • Herbie The Love Bug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 10:28:54 pm »
Herbie has a bad case of separation anxiety!  It doesn't matter how many toys or people are around, if I leave he goes nuts.  He doesn't even care about food or treats!  He follows me everywhere - even into the bathroom.  I think I molded him into this situation because when we first got him I was working at home so I was with him 24/7.  I never wanted to leave him because I wanted to make sure he doesn't chew on anything or go pee everywhere.  He got really really attached so now we are trying to teach him that it's OK to be alone.  It's getting a little better but it's a lot of work!  Oh, we tried drugs - it didn't work! ??

Patricia
Ally, Sami, & Herbie

Offline tvsjessica

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 10:42:42 pm »
My sister has an OCD ACD that does the same thing.  He breaks windows, tries to dig through the floor, whatever he can do to try and find her.  At this point she's just taken to having me babysit for her if she has to go somewhere (she takes the dog to work and school with her every day) like the grocery store where dogs aren't allowed.  Last week she left him here where he can at least play with Daisy and be somewhat comforted.  I went to answer the phone for not more than 40 seconds, and he had dug a 10 inch deep trench in front of the back gate. 
Am I the only one that Tivos dog shows and watches them again?

Offline Troubles

• Gnawer
  • Troubles the Water Otter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 11:23:27 pm »
I have not read the other replies but I can tell you that Troubles has MAJOR seperation anxiety!!  My dad was disabled and passed away the last week of June.  Before that, Troubles (and my parents Siberian) stayed at home with my dad all day.  Troubles has the worst case of SA that I've ever experienced in a dog!!!  Going outside to potty, if I don't go with him, hedoes his thing and runs full speed back inside to find me.  If I go in the front part of the house, he lays with his head under the childs gate, watching and waiting!  During our search and rescue training, if I walk away from the car, he barks and barks until he wears himself out.

Right now, he is pacing (we had obedience class earlier and he's pooped) and whining and whimpering, trying to get me away from the computer.  Our obedience teacher tried to use Troubles to show us how to teach them something.  He sat on the floor and totally froze!!  He would not move more that two steps aways from me!!!

Anyway.... I say it is real!!   ::)
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry