Author Topic: READ BEFORE YOU TRAVEL!!!  (Read 3935 times)

Offline xandria

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
READ BEFORE YOU TRAVEL!!!
« on: December 15, 2005, 02:34:45 pm »
I dont know if I can post this here but I am going to because people need to know.

I am a giant breed lover and have 2 mastiffs. I am in mexico city and trying to get home to Edmonton.. BUT I CANT (couldnt, will explain)
I came here with my mastiff for the cost of kennel and $150.00 canadian.
NOW, BECAUSE AIR CANADA IS ABSOLUTLEY OUT OF THEIR ------- MINDS: I AM STUCK HERE. THEY HAVE CHANGED THE RULES ON FLYING WITH PETS AND IF YOU HAVE A DOG OVER 70 POUNDS YOU MUST PAY 850.00$$$$$ PER DOG!!!  THIS IS MORE THAN MY TICKET... THERE IS NO EXCEPTION (MAYBE GUIDE DOGS) NEVERMIND THAT, YOU CANT FLY AT HOLIDAY SEASON EITHER.. THATS FINE BUT 850.00 PER DOG.. WHO HAS THAT KIND OF MONEY?? NOT MOST OF US. (this is not just because I am coming from mexico. If I go Van to edmonton the price is still 850.00$$  for large dogs.) On their websites they all say 245.00 for dog. If over 70 lbs contact cargo.
Then you call and get this shock!

I have found a flight with JAPAN AIR:: they charge 50$ per dog and $100 for extra large. I can get home to Vancouver but thats it. They dont fly to edmonton. So unless I find someone driving to edmonton I will be in vancouver aiport for who knows how long stuck with my dogs. I will get there because I am determined. Thats not my point anyway. My point is something needs to be done about this. They are just out to lunch with these kind of prices. No more shipping puppies, no more travelling with our babies, nothing.
I have had so many people comment and say, well leave the dogs, only take one bla bla bla. As all you animals lovers know, that is just IMPOSSIBLE and stupid to even mention. These are my children. You dont sell or abandon your child. (especially here)

I am going to make a site and ask for anyone who disagrees with this to sign a petition and I will be going to TV radio and papers with this. I have been through HE** here and finally found a way out then got STOPPED DEAD in my tracks because of AIR CANADA::

If you would like to email me please feel free. xandria10@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 03:47:53 pm by Jacksmom »

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: READ BEFORE YOU TRAVEL!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 03:26:15 pm »
wow $850 that is pretty crazy!
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 03:40:26 pm »
I know how you feel!!!! I live in Edmonton too and when I flew home to Nova Scotia to get married it was only $40.00 per dog one way. Then when we flew home sept 30  they told us that they were changing the policy as of Oct 1. and the price would change to $240.00 per dog and they would have to fly cargo. THere is no way my dogs are going to fly cargo! Who knows if we'd ever see them again. Heck when we got to edmonton our dogs were there, thank God but our bags weren't. Oh they also upped the price of weight per bags so if your bags are over weight they charge a bunch for that. So I think that is why they are charging so much for your dogs. I really feel your pain. I am NEVER FLYING AIR CANADA again. My brother refuses to as well and his friend doesn't either. We fly a lot, because our family lives in Nova Scotia so now we fly westjet. Have you tried west jet? I just looked and they have a flight today that goes from Vancouver to Edmonton for 89.00!! That is not bad and here is the number for them that you can call from Mexico. 1-800-514-7288 Heck I'll call them for you, I'd like to know if they take in large dogs too. And I gladly sign any pettion that you have ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 03:55:48 pm »
Ok I jsut called the west jet people and they do have a weight restriction on pets. it is 100lbs dog and kennel and the price for that is $40.00. If the dog is over that they fly cargo but they do there best to place the dog on the same flight as you. If they can't then it goes on the very next flight out. Better than the other airline, the dog is on a diff plane. I am not sure on the prices for cargo though. Hope this helps.

Nina
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 04:24:08 pm by Nina »
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 04:21:29 pm »
That was so nice of you to call the other airline!!  (Just wanted to say that :)  )
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 04:25:01 pm »
Thanks, I thought that she could use the help, it must be so frustrating for her not being able to get home.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline xandria

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 04:56:49 pm »
thank you so much that was very nice. I actually looked at that but they will only fly with ONE dog. Not 2 and not until after Jan 9th.
( i have read some bad things about west jet and pets, i dont know) in google..
 I am arriving the 23rd. Bad day...too close to xmas...
But I have posted an ad on craiglist its an advertising community and many people are travelling and looking for ride share so i hope someone will accept me with the dogs.
I actually have 3 here( one i rescued from the street)  but I have to have him sent later after the holidays. He just got nuetered and cant get vaccinated for 20 days.. :( dont know why.. this is mexico.
here is the page i have now, i am gonna attach the petition to it.
http://doghelpinmexico.ds4a.com

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 05:25:57 pm »
Wow I just took a look at your website. You are doing a wonderful thing helping all these dogs.  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline mastifflvr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 05:53:06 pm »
Beware and ask more questions beyond price...just a heads up.  Most US airlines will not accept any animals if the temperature will be below 35F or above 80F (my numbers may be off as I am going from memory- so call and ask).  I believe that applies to the departing city, layover as well as the arrival city.  From Mexico to Canada, i suppose you will hit both limits.
Delta told me they will ground the "cargo", say you arrive at your layover city and the temperature has changed in the arrival city since departure.  Your puppies are stuck and you keep going.  I also experienced that you buy the ticket based on a weather forecast and the temps change...too bad.  the crate won't be accepted.  I had to ship a friend's 120lb dog several times between CO and CA and we ran into all kinds of crazy stuff.

I also hate to say- part of the reason they are making it so difficult US law passed that the FED Gov requires all animal deaths to be reported....(God forbid that get out!)  At least that is what I have read.  If you are flying a us based or affilliated airline, I suppose they would fall under this law.
Best of luck on the ride! 

Chanda

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 07:26:57 pm »
Hey, could be worse places to be stuck in other than Mexico.  IT'S MARGARITA TIME!!!  J/K, sounds like you're in quite a pickle.  When you bought your ticket, that's basically a binding contract that you and Canadian airlines agreed upon.  They can't just jack up the rates on you, that's illegal.  Unless it's a "small print" issue where they hid fees on you, you have already paid for you and your dogs transport.  Where the tickets you bought, round trip?  Hmmmm....   Hope you are able to get home without going into major debt.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 01:51:57 pm »
That was my thought too Ryan. That if you have a ticket, that is binding, you have already paid for the services even if they have not delivered yet.

It would be as bad as if, you bought something,paid a price and then they came and said, sorry we just changed the price, now you have to pay us more or we will take the..... back!

I shipped Galahad from MN when he was a puppy, it was in spring time we paid like $200, he could have gone in an intermediate crate for about $100 but we wanted him in an large one.

Good luck to you, I hope you get home okay. Or you can stop in NC with your mastiffs and say hi to Galahad and Hera.

Merry Christmas Ill keep my fingers crossed for you

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline xandria

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 11:28:58 pm »
I just want to say Merry Xmas to all ,and that I made it home to Canada. Flew Japan Air and they were FABULOUS... With the dogs, with everything. They only charged me $100.00 for BOTH dogs and let me go with extra luggage and really heavy too, without charging me, and were so careful with the loading and unloading of the dogs.. It was just awesome. If you ever need to fly, I recommend them totally.
Just want to let ya all know, babies are safe and lovin the freedom and the HUGE yard here. Take Care and Happy new year.... :) :D ::) :-*

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 11:07:48 am »
That is so great!!! I'm so glad that you made it home safe and sound with your dogs.   :D
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Offline -Molly-

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 03:47:16 pm »
DANG! 850?!?!?!!?!?
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.