Author Topic: My contribution to the big footed cats  (Read 3458 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
My contribution to the big footed cats
« on: December 15, 2005, 06:50:55 pm »
This is one of the kittens that "came with" mama cat this past summer, you know one of the cats I am FOSTERING  ::)

His name cookie dough (we figured after he started to grow things girls dont do it was too late to change name) so we are now saving up for the sexchange surgery hehe

He's got extra toes on both front paws. We also call him Mittens, it kinda looks like his got little oven mittens on doesnt it lol.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: My contribution to the big footed cats
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 07:19:02 pm »
Mittens is SO cute!!  She/He is def. part of the Big Paw group!! :D

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 08:54:35 pm »
Now THAT is an appropriate name.. Makes me think of the Arby's oven mitt thingy.. :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 11:00:07 pm »
He is so cute Merit. Dont these cats look so funny when they walk?? We laugh at Moms all the time .
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 10:34:23 am »
AWWWW  He..er  She.. eh..  COOKIE DOUGH is very cute.  ;)  I like the smile in the bottom pic, definitely happy.  ;D
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 10:37:40 am »
Your gender confused cat is adorable Moni..lol

They really do look like mittens! Does it cause any problems for them ?

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 12:48:57 pm »
Your gender confused cat is adorable Moni..lol

They really do look like mittens! Does it cause any problems for them ?

nope no problems at all, their moma has them too, I think its an advantage, if they were ever to be outdoor/indoor cats that wanted to add onto their diet with mice, they would have extre nails to hook into them  ;D

Marit

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 11:23:50 pm »
Cats with an extra toe are called polydactyls. There are cats, like yours, that have 6 on each front paw; a friend of mine had a kitten when he was a kid that came from a mom that had 7 toes on each front paw! She was-very appropriately-named Seven.

There aren't any disadvantages for the cat, and they walk like a normal cat. The extra toe/claw is in between their "thumb" and first finger. That's what makes it look like their thumbs are pointed out like they're in mittens. The claw on the small extra toe can be hard to clip, but it has to be or it can grow into the sides of their other toes.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 11:43:31 pm »
Thanks for the information macybean  :D I have to admit I haven't looked into the "extra toe issue" because, just like you said, it has never bothered them, yep momma has them too.

They are both good with having their feet and toes looke at and well I have yet not had to cut his nails but mama is not too hard to get to, im just using the smallest clipper.

I think it is cute and we think they are very special cats  :D

Do you know how common or uncommon this is? I have had cats, many many cats and am working in cat rescue and have never seen one in real life before, so either it has been just a coincidence or it is quite uncommon.

Marit

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 02:40:04 pm »
I don't know numbers. I've done cat rescue for about 5 years, though much less in the past year. Of four litters of kittens (bottle-fed from feral mothers or mothers who were killed/missing), we had 1 (a very cute dilute calico).

Just did a search and found this page: http://www.messybeast.com/poly-cats.html

It also talks about extra toes on hind paws (Seven, the cat I mentioned earlier, had 5 or 6 on her back feet... can't remember... Apparently, you have to have extra toes on the front to get them on the back (can't have back only, just front only)).

k2campbell

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 08:06:08 pm »
Aw - what a cute cat!  I think the "extra" toes add character!  ;)

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 08:31:29 pm »
Moms cat has 7 toes on each of his feet. Apparently all of his litter mates had extras too. His Mother is a barn cat and they are inbred. Guess thats were the extra toes come from. Apparently they are superb mousers. Boots walks as though he will trip over his feet. Maybe this is because he is a kitten?? He deffinately doesnt walk like my other cats. I guess if I had a few extra toes Id walk funny too. LOL
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket