Author Topic: I spent the afternoon at the shelter...  (Read 3118 times)

cricket36580

I spent the afternoon at the shelter...
« on: December 15, 2005, 10:29:37 pm »
and had a lovely time.  I know that sounds very strange but I really did.  I filled out the paperwork to volunteer and to foster.  We'll see how it goes.  They also have a mastiff mix that I fell in love with!  Dh would kill me if he "showed" up though...since he knows where I was.  :)  Originally I went to look at the Great Pyr they had gotten in.  And I did.  Dixiesugarbear or I will be posting some more info and pics soon.  The lady sent me some pics but they didn't make it through.  They're having an adoption day tomorrow and I'm seriously considering going over there.  It's sort of sad though too...While I was there a lady brought in about 8 puppies that someone had dumped on her front yard.   >:(  She's going out of town so couldn't take care of them...she left crying.  One puppy was adopted while I was there to a family that had several small kids.  I thought it was "typical"...8 in and 1 out.  Makes you really angry at people!  sigh... 

Anyway, the up side is that the lady is very interested in working with rescue groups and fostering out.  So I'm going to get her as many rescue names as I can...any suggestions will be appreciated.

Kiahpyr

Re: I spent the afternoon at the shelter...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 10:34:46 pm »
I'm so happy for you. I hope the foster thing goes very well for you. I can't wait to see pictures of the pyr. I went to the shelter today too. I wanted to look a pyr/rotti mix. He was so cute! I couldn't even get to play with him. He's 4 months old and is fearful and when scared he will nip. He was marked has no children under 10. I have a 2 year old. I was talking to a lady and she said no exceptions. I am like he's a puppy and can be trained. To no avail I left very dissatisfied again. This is the second time I went to look at a dog and the same thing happened. I was so mad.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 11:26:09 pm »
I just posted some photos of the Pyr, he is an older guy that needs to live out his live being loved.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 02:13:13 am »
Thank you so much for helping this guy!  What a shame for his owners to drop and older dog off in poor condition.  Honestly - sometimes we humans don't show up in a very good light!

Did you hear back from the FL Pyr rescue yet?

There is also:  east@gpcarescue.org  (Terry Stephanick) - this link is on the GPCA website's rescue link page.

-lauriew

Modified to add:  http://clubs.akc.org/gpca/gpcaresq.html   (oops - typo!!! it's late & i need some sleep!!)  ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 02:35:11 am by LaurieW »

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 02:58:14 am »
" They're having an adoption day tomorrow and I'm seriously considering going over there. "

Cricket, if you are going to the adoption tomorrow at Bienville Square, look out for me, I'll be walking Feste in the parade, with the Friends of the Mobile Animal Shelter.  Is this the shelter that the Pyr is at?  if so, I'll talk to them tomorrow. Possibly, I can foster him for a limited period, and we can find him a home.  Let me know.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 09:13:51 am »
The parade sounds like tons of fun.  The shelter is the one in Baldwin co.
I have e-mailed Terry Stephanick some info on him.  Looks like we may just have a southeast BPO rescue group.  Thanks guys you are soooooooo great!

Lisa

cricket36580

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 11:06:22 am »
I didn't know Mobile was having a parade and adoption day.  Boy, if I work it right I could go to both of them!  HeeHee  If I do, I'll have 2 black mooses (meese?) with me.  Probably with their coats on since it's cold and wet. 

Thank you Dixie for posting those.  I'm not sure why the pics didn't come through to me...could be the server. 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 11:12:22 am »
Thank you for working so hard to find the guy a home.  Since we have so many in the area looking for him a home, maybe that is just what he will get for the holidays.  Have fun at the adoptions today. 

Lisa

I didn't know Mobile was having a parade and adoption day.  Boy, if I work it right I could go to both of them!  HeeHee  If I do, I'll have 2 black mooses (meese?) with me.  Probably with their coats on since it's cold and wet. 

Thank you Dixie for posting those.  I'm not sure why the pics didn't come through to me...could be the server.