Author Topic: suggestions wanted  (Read 2952 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
suggestions wanted
« on: December 18, 2005, 03:28:52 pm »
Hey Everyone,

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a playmate for Kaila and Cinder.  My only problem is that I can't seem to make a decision on breed or breed mix that I actually am looking for.  So I decided to open the floor up for suggestions.  Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.  My only requirements are that the dog be at least 60 lbs full grown and have short hair.  I guess I should add that Michael is hoping for something a little less "enthusiastic" as the girls.  This is all in the very beginning stages.   Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.

Kat

P.S.
I just had to add that Kaila turned a year old yesterday.  I will try and add some new pics of the girls tonight.  Now I have to get back to work.     
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: suggestions wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 03:30:27 pm »
Happy Birthday, Kaila!

My suggestion is to go to the closest animal shelter or humane society and walk around 'til you fall in love.

Good Luck!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 04:29:39 pm »
GET A DANE.  GET A DANE.  GET A DANE.  GET A DANE.

Hmm.  Was that too subtle?

They are at least 60 lbs. (well, maybe at 4 months) and have short hair.

Tina
(The Dane Pimp)
[/color]

I add my enthusiatic endorsement to Tina's suggestion to get a DANE!   ;D
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 04:30:46 pm »
I love Jeanne's suggestion. There's tons of wonderful dogs at shelters, and big ones often have a harder time getting adopted because of their size.

Far as specific breeds go....I would suggest a Dane, or a Mastiff. (big, short hair and very mellow) There's others, too that I like, but their energy level is pretty high. American Bulldogs, Boxers...both pretty energetic. Have you considered rescuing a Greyhound? They're large, have short hair, and are very very mellow in the house. They are highly recommended for apartments cuz they're basically big couch potatoes.

Rotties, Dobies. Big and short hair..can both be kind of energetic, though.

Bloodhound? Big, short hair...but really need to be looked after and not let out off -leash in an unfenced area.

Hmm...out of ideas for the moment.

OH! How about a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog? They're large and have short hair. I'm not too familiar with their energy level, though.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 04:38:50 pm »
if you go to the pound you can get an idea of the personality of the dog you pick.  I love to rescue dogs...but they can be a handful in their own right with getting them accustomed to new people and homes and you don't know their backgrounds. 
Breeds!  Medium-sized!  SharPei's are somewhat small.   Greyhounds are great dogs.  Spaniel's ... great dogs.  Beagles.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 04:39:22 pm »
I thought the suggestion of a rescue was exceptional!  There are lots of dogs there that would meet your requirements and be so greatful for a loving home.  As much as i LOVE LOVE LOVE Dobermans, I just dont think they are for everyone. Very demanding, very energetic, and sometimes smarter than the average bear! Personally, I would love to have a couple more, if I had the room, but that's another dream.
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 05:21:31 pm »
A Dane is about as far as you can get from your girls activity wise.  (And your honey can impress all his friends.  Matt doesn't like Sanity at all but still brags about him to people  ::) )  Being a Dane mommy is a 24/7 job though (With all reverence to the Dane pimp :P ) so make sure you want one.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 09:35:51 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have been looking at Petfinder and the shelter lists.  I had pretty much figured that I would go the shelter route but I wanted ideas of mixes to look for.  Who knows I might even run across a pure bred but it's not a criteria.  I am mainly looking for something that can withstand the Malinois body checks.  I attached some pics of Kaila from yesterday.  The second one is my favorite because it shows her true personality.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 10:50:30 pm »
I agree on the shelter idea.  But if you come across any danes or greyhounds, they are ideal.  You may not have thought of this breed, but basset hounds can really take a whoopin', and most I know are over 60 lbs.  In fact, Gunther's three best pals are all bassets.  But if you're looking for a slightly bigger dog, perhaps a bulldog, there are a variety of different types. Mastiffs as mentioned are great too, any variety.  Someone mentioned dobermans, but what about german pinschers, although I don't know if they get above 60 lbs.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 08:21:24 am »
Oh yes, definitely check out the shelters. Now I'm shamelessly biased here, but how about a young adult male shar-pei? Short haired, sturdy, around 65 pounds and are pretty nifty at body charging themselves, so should be good with a malinois or two. Obviously, do't go for an overly wrinkly one with a big fat head - Here's a photo of Jet, owned by my friend. He's fit, agile, healthy and you wouldn't believe he's 7 years old! I used to do obedience and agility with him and he was as good as the border collies and GSD's. If you can find one like him you won't be disappointed.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 08:49:39 am »
Agree with ZooCrews idea on the Basset hound, Bava our Newf is in love with my sister's Basset hound, and she loves playing with him.  They play rough and she can roll him, she's a very sturdy dog.

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€