Author Topic: I have 2 Big Pawed Boys  (Read 20434 times)

Offline msbrookins

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: I have 2 Big Pawed Boys
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 02:33:49 pm »
Corso's are a protection breed. Meaning, it's in their nature to be weary of strangers, but not afraid. They are very loyal to their owners, including the children, and don't hesitate to step in front of trouble.
Max, my Corso, is very quiet in the house, so most don't know that he's there. He won't make himself known until he hears someone outside the door or something that he doesn't like.
As far as protection, I cannot wrestle with my boyfriend in front of him because he has misinterpreted our playing for something serious and lunged at him to protect me.
Other than that, they are just like other dogs...loving, wonderful personality, easy to train (taught Max to speak with twinkies and slim jims), playful, can be lazy, and the biggest child that you'd thought you'd ever have-considering they want to be lap dogs!  ;)
courtney brookins

Offline Harleynessy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 11:47:22 am »
YES THEY ARE A LIL LIKE ROTTIES, I USED TO BREED ROTTIES FOR A WHILE. AFTER MY LAST MALE DIED 6 YRS AGO I COULDN'T BEAR TO GET ANOTHER ONE HE WAS JUST TOO GREAT. :( I DO BELIEVE THAT THE CORSO'S ARE MORE DOMINANT AND A LOT MORE HARD HEADED! AT LEAST GIO IS, LOL. MY EX HAS A MALE FROM THE SAME BREEDER WHO IS MORE ACTIVE, BUT EASIER TO TRAIN. GIO LIKE TO TEST ME AND IS VERY LAZY. BUT HE IS VERY AFFECTIONATE AND REALLY A VERY FRIENDLY, BUT PROTECTIVE OF ME AS HIS CHOSEN PERSON. WHICH IS JUST LIKE A ROTTIE. SO I HOPE I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, LOL. I THINK BOTH BREEDS ARE GREAT.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 10:34:58 pm »
Aawwwweeee.... ........I LOVE cane corso's.  I want to get one someday.  Right now, I will settle for my dane.  I have to work some more on my husband, who does not like bully type breeds, even though they are more of a mastiff breed.  I fell in love with them ever since reading an article a year or two ago in Dog Fancy.  I've read up all I can on them, and still love them, although I know they can be a challenge to work with.  Your little fawn guy is gorgeous.  I didn't even know they came with blue eyes.

BabsT

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2005, 04:56:59 am »
Congratulation s!  Who is he out of???? I know a lot of corso people.   In regards to the rotti questions, I have heard from a lot of top Sch PSA trainers that a true working rotti is one of the most serious dogs and majority of good dog people could not handle one...I guess the drive is off the roof.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 07:19:44 am »
We had one of those with high drive we worked in SAR with him and our newfs, i tell you, i dont care for the over protectivness and over obesessed, in my humble opinion when one is constantly challenging you every day, and you have to constantly remind him who is top dog, it gets tiring, the struggle is constant.
i couldnt even go in the same room as hubby without him racing me and standing in between us, i put a kabosh on that.
he and i butted heads constantly, i want a breed that knows when to protect and accepts its place in the pack.
this rott was so bad, that emmett who was alpha was resorting to staking territory, and the rott could not move past the steps from upstairs or emmett would nail him due to him constantly pushing the envelope, long downs, side by side, and much work went into getting the two to get along, it was emotionally draining.
emmett is a very noble alpha, and never have i seen this behavior taken to the extreme, but when you have an extreme personality testing, well, i guess he had to go to that resort.
there is no doubt in my mind, that my newfs would protect me, but they have the common sense and not every person is suspicious to them, becouse that is not necessary or warranted.
By the way, the pup is so cute and innocent now....... just wait! ROTFL!!!
and this is not a slam to the breeds, just my experience.
i used to groom plenty of rotts but didnt care for the suspicious nature and growling, and dont feel i should have to deal with that so i limited the breeds i did.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

BabsT

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 05:26:53 pm »
My breed is the same...strong strong distrust of strangers.  not fearful but watchful and works in defense drive little prey if any...The difference is he wont challenge me for alpha status not really in my breed type they are not owner dominant.  The best part about dog breeds is that there are so many to suit different people in needs :)

You Newfies are beautiful

Offline msbrookins

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 06:52:01 am »
Hi BabsT,

I think you were asking me who Max was out of??? I'm not sure, but if so..he's out of Cleopatra and Nuccio from Morgan Cane Corso in Italy.
courtney brookins