Author Topic: Weird dogs!  (Read 1606 times)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Weird dogs!
« on: December 18, 2005, 11:41:09 pm »
I am very interested in dog behavior, I am lucky enough to work at a kennel, I walk the dogs during the week and run the playgroups on weekends.  Most of the interaction is pretty predictable, it's after I come home that things get weird.
Phyfe and Earnest are both almost 3, Earnest was neutered really young, Phyfe around a year.  Earnest has his own odd kind of alpha stuff, he won't fight, but he postures, pushes, and occasionally humps to get his point across. Phyfe was raised with horses, and really doesn't understand dogs.  They're ok with each other, Earnest acts like he's the boss, Phyfe will let him mouth him all over, and shove him like a football player on defense, but if he does something too annoying Phyfe backs up and gives him one of his sonic boom barks, and Earnest backs off.  Earnest will play bow and run around, Phyfe might run a bit, but he doesn't know "tag" or "gotcha last" at the dog park he'd rather get humans to pet him.
They got a tug toy for an early Christmas present, I thought they'd love it. Earnest's best friend,  (no, Phyfe is not his best friend, Phyfe is the BOY'S best friend) Calvin,( a BIG yellow lab)  plays tug with Earnest for hours whenever we see him.  Well, we finally got both Phyfe and Earnest clamped on to either end of the toy, they started pulling. I thought finally they'd have something to do together. Earnest started play growling, to him that's a big part of that game. Phyfe dropped his end, barked, and went downstairs to Levi's room with a squeaky thing- which he proceeded to de-squeak.
Earnest doesn't go down there, he stood at the top of the stairs waving the toy forlornly, then dropped it in the hall and got his Gallileo Bone. Now nobody wants to play tug, not even with people. That toy has become "no man's land" and neither one will touch it.
Silly dogs!

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Weird dogs!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 04:06:14 am »
i have to agree with you i have 3 dogs and i can never guess what toy is the fav of the day!I brought home a large tug toy for them i thought this might be a bonding tool plus exercise etc. they will tug w/me but.... then one gets mad because the other one is having so muh fun w/mommy and the is a scuffle. All of them love this purple squrrel and its the made run to see who is going to get it for how long and who gets it next! My new pup who is 6 months old bryce who is  an English Mastiff Brindle thinks that all of the toys are his! He watches the other 2 to see who is playing with what then all of a sudden thats his fav to! they are just as bad as kids pulling hair poking and pinching ! Marina Belknap
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 08:30:48 pm »
Dogs are too funny! I have two 7 month old littermates who squabble like children over toys and chewies. Luke, who is bigger always has to check and make sure that Daisy's toy isn't better, or he'll take it from her. So Daisy will go get the reject toy and prance around him, flipping it up in the air, making it look like its the best toy she's ever played with! Luke will get up, and with an incredulous "huh?" look on his face, jealously steal  the "reject" toy.  Alas, poor Daisy always gets stuck with her original choice  ;D

Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 12:44:36 am »
Smart girl Daisy! 

Alas, poor Daisy always gets stuck with her original choice  ;D

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.