Author Topic: Anyone else got tail/tree issues?  (Read 6154 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Anyone else got tail/tree issues?
« on: December 19, 2005, 03:57:47 pm »
Soooo Galahad is totally in love with the tree, and other than trying to cuddle with it, he is really good. After all he isnt a year yet. BUT we have had several (read more than 10) ornament crashes. He walks by the tree and as usual wagging his tail, and swush several ornaments go down after his tail has wisked around in the tree  :P

I have taken all the breakable ornaments out of the tree now, I dont want it to happen when we are not there and one of the dogs or cats step on it and hurt themselves. But now I have christmas balls from the tree flying though the air every time he is passing. I have hung back like 15 today, every time I look there are new ones on the floor. Its a good thing he is a happy boy I guess, but dang, I am tired of putting back the ornaments in the tree, and let me tell ya, it aint getting any prettier  ::) :o

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

lins_saving_grace

Re: Anyone else got tail/tree issues?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 04:00:32 pm »
We don't have tails...but last year Lady broke a few bulbs at the bottom of the tree.  this year we put up a tiny tree...up high.  the girls haven't even noticed the tree.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 04:06:41 pm »
Smart lins, I am really getting tired of putting it back, and for every time it looks a little bit more "used" so to speak lol. BUT I am a total sucker for Christmas so I go for big trees, big hams, big santas and lotsa lotsa christmas decorations lol.

Marit

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 04:11:16 pm »
practical.  we thought we'd be practical...I didn't want 1.) to have the tree take up the entire living room again (the sectional we have is so big that the tree fits in the far corner and crowds everything) and 2.) to have to clean up "glitter poop" and "sparkle vomit" so to speak.  I just knew Grace would be into the tree all the time and pulling off the really pretty danglies. 

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 04:14:28 pm »
practical.  we thought we'd be practical...I didn't want 1.) to have the tree take up the entire living room again (the sectional we have is so big that the tree fits in the far corner and crowds everything) and 2.) to have to clean up "glitter poop" and "sparkle vomit" so to speak.  I just knew Grace would be into the tree all the time and pulling off the really pretty danglies. 

glitter poops is a mood setter Lins hehe, you know its christmas when you have to pick up poos with glitter hanging out from it.  ;D

Marit

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 04:23:45 pm »
LOL!  :)  tis the season

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 04:39:45 pm »
watch out for tinsel...it's not fun pulling the rest of a piece of tinsel out of a cat's butt.
I was just thinking about tinsel!  :)  been there.  that is the worst!  :)

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 04:44:56 pm »
We dont do tinsel anymore because it was so disgusting pulling it out!!! Sasha has pulled a couple of old family heirloom ornaments off this year and totally smashed and popped them apart in her mouth, tho.  Tree is a 7 footer, but presents have to stay away, or put up really high, cos Sasha loves to rip paper.  Dar leaves everything alone--she knows that Santa watches her! ;D
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 04:47:07 pm »
We dont do tinsel anymore because it was so disgusting pulling it out!!! Sasha has pulled a couple of old family heirloom ornaments off this year and totally smashed and popped them apart in her mouth, tho.  Tree is a 7 footer, but presents have to stay away, or put up really high, cos Sasha loves to rip paper.  Dar leaves everything alone--she knows that Santa watches her! ;D
It isn't one of my favorite activities to pull tinsel out of the butt either. :)
Dar?  You have been a good girl!  :) 
Sasha?  leave some milk and cookies out for Santa Saturday night and he'll overlook your indescreations .   

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 05:28:21 pm »
Aaaah, tree woes.  I haven't had a tree since moving out of my parent's house.  Either didn't have the room, or energy  to work with one, but I miss them.

Soo I can't say I've had a problem with crashing ornaments, but if you want an easy solution (even if it doesn't look the best), have you ever thought of putting an x-pen around the tree or confining the tree so they cant' get to it so easily?  I know this would be hard for those of us living in tight quarters the way it is, but it's just a thought.   :)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 06:46:51 pm »
Yeah it is kinda frustrating, to keep haning the same stuff back over and over. I would hate to block it off though, Galahad is sooo in love and after all he cant help his tail is wisking around in it every time he passes  ;D :P He is just a happy puppy baby lol.

When I had danes, one year Zorro my dane boy then, dragged the whole tree to the couch, so when we came home, both tree and dog was in the couch, we put it up again and the next day the same happened, he didnt chew or anything on it, just dragged it there. We put the tree in a corner, put two hooks in the walls and tied a string around the tree, it didnt show but made Zorro realize mommy had won the battle haaaaa  ;D

Marit

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 06:52:58 pm »
Wow, not to rub it in, but I must be blessed. We have an HO scale train layout that our tree sits in the middle of. The boy-os are completely dis-interested in it, and don't go near it. There it sits, in the corner of our dining room, and I have yet to see any issues...other than Onyx attempting to "eat" the snow off the layout. (cotton quilt batting.) I have since outsmarted the lad, and used spray adhesive to stick it to the board...no problems since.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 07:25:37 pm »
That sucks and putting them higher on the tree to avoid a Mastiff tail would mean half the tree would be bare!  ;D  Maybe rubber ornaments would work?  Maybe not.... Fortunately Drake isn't really interested in the tree, the kitties love it but they aren't inside all the time.  With Drake, it's more of a tail/beercan on the coffeetable issue.  ;D
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 07:35:37 pm »
With Drake, it's more of a tail/beercan on the coffeetable issue.  ;D

Ahhhh - I knew there was a reason the big paws of choice for me was a TM. It's the nice curly spitz type tail out of the way of breakables and refreshments.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 09:22:37 pm »
This may not be of much use, since most of you appear to have REAL trees...

But have you considered HANGING your tree from the ceiling? 

My friend Kara uses one of those "hanging lamp" hooks, and fastens just the top half of her 8'  fake tree to it.  The 'tree' is out of reach of both her toddlers and her dogs, and she's able to keep all the presents corralled on top of a sideboard table, also out of reach of toddlers and dogs. 

I can't believe I'm actually here....my life and my job exploded last week, and I thought I'd NEVER get back!

Not that it's all that much better now.   Or that I'll be able to stay long enough to even catch up.

But think about the hanging tree thing.   Kara's hangs dead center of her picture window and it's just gorgeous.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad