Author Topic: 4 AM AND THE ALARM GOES OFF  (Read 2723 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
4 AM AND THE ALARM GOES OFF
« on: December 20, 2005, 09:47:32 am »
I didnt go to bed until 2 or so, had a hard time going to sleep so it was around 3 or so when I did. 4 am I wake up from the alarm screaming its head off, my first thought was ohhhhh noooo it cant be 6 already. Then I realized that is was not my alarm clock, so it took me a couple of secs to figure out if it was the fire alarm or the house alarm. Its the fire alarm, man I got out of bed in some kind of record speed. Ran around in the house trying to figer out what was going on, in and out through all the bedrooms downstairs, then up, then down again thinking that we probably have smoke detectors in the walk in closets, but nope there is no smoke, and no fire. By  now every single fire alarm in my house is screaming, think 11 fire alarms all at once 4 in the morning, THATS no good.

Whats worse is that I am the ONLY one awake, all the others are still asleep, yeees they sleep though this. I get back in the bedroom where Galahad is looking up with sleepy eyes and Chris is still snoring away, by now I am mad, making a mental note to myself never to leave the kids alone with him, they would never make it out in case there actually was a fire.

So I figured the batteries must be bad, there is a green and a red light on each and every one of the smoke detectors, guess what they were all blinking red, I didnt know if that was because they were all screaming or because ALL the batteries were bad. I had 3 9v batteries in the house, so I changed three and hoped for the best, naaaa the best didnt happen. I run up again, and grab the one I think is the "main" detector, and pull the batteri out of it and voila they all stop. 2 min later they were all screaming again. Now I am doing the !#@$^$@@%#@$!%^ by Chris's bed and he finally wakes up and says "did you change batteries" that did not make me in a better mood lol. I go to the fuse box and turn the main "thingie" off and the house goes black BUT the alarms were still screaming. Turn the main breaker on again, and they stop.......... . to start again 5 min later.

I get my butt into the car, drive to walgreens get 2 8 packs of 9 v batteries, home and when I open the car door I hear the alarms still screaming in the house. I change all the batteries and it stops ohhhhh man what wonderful silence..... for 2 min....... then it starts again.

I did loose my patience and I have now 11 smoke detectors in my house ripped out from the cables hanging from the ceiling and I have no idea what wrong with them. Chris who is trying to defend himself saying "ohhh but I had no idea what was wrong" duhhhhh neither did I. I have decided he is soooooo in the dog house today. AND I hereby declare my husband the king of all morons  :P :o :-\

Does anyone have an idea what has happened to the smoke detectors, why in the world did they stop just to start again, and why did it not help when I changed every single battery?

Sorry for long post I had to vent a bit, Chris is tired of my venting lol

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: 4 AM AND THE ALARM GOES OFF
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 10:08:07 am »
Hmmm I wonder if there is such a thing as a "main" battery here. They are hard wired and backed up with 9 v batteries, and kinda looped together, so if one goes off the rest does too. A great idea when it works, in this case it really sucks  :-\

I am pretty sure which one is the main one, I wonder if it can be something wrong with that one or ohhhh well I just have to call hmmmm who do you call?

And I sooooo hope I get a nap in today, but we are doing the rat race before christmas so I dont see myself sleeping again until monday next week hahahaha

marit

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 11:21:59 am »
Oh, Marit! I'm so sorry! I'm sorry I'm laughing, but I can totally see myself ripping the d*mn things out of the wall just like you did! And to have everyone else - inlcuding Galahad - just snoring away... It sounds like a bad dream!

I hope you dove back into bead once everyone was out the door and got some well-deserved sleep!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 03:48:20 pm »
Oh, I feel so sorry for you, but at the same time I'm LMAO.   ;D  I can totally see myself doing the same thing.

When I lived in my apartment, the smoke detector would go off ever time I used the stove.  And Nooo, I'm not that bad of a cook.   :P  I finally took out the batteries and left it like that.  (not that I'm telling you to do that, but my detector was retartded)  I cannot even imagine 11 of them going off at once.  One was bad enough.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 03:58:55 pm »
Hmm my guess ( which you have all ready mentioned) is that there is something wrong with the main one. Can you call the manufacturing company? Not sure who else you would call about that sort of thing.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 05:08:24 pm »
Ours did the same thing....and I ripped them out and they have stayed ripped out!  I HATE those things.  They never go off at a civilized hour....only in the middle of the night and usually when I'm home alone.  AND, to add insult to insult....they would occasionally go off while I was cooking!  I've decided the Newfs make better smoke detectors!!! ;D

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 12:59:22 pm »
 :D Well today is a better day lol. Yesterday was a bit mmmm strained, you know the feeling when one of the kids for the 20th time say mooooom and you turn around and say what, what, what, whaaaaaat is it this time  ::)

Anyway, I have figured out whats wrong with the alarm, Don't EVER buy big battery packs where they usually dont sell lots and lots of them. Every single battery in the 8 packs I bought were dead, stone dead, so I changed all the batteries, and changed them to ones that were just as dead or probably even more so. Thats why they kept going off, they never did get the new batteries they wanted when they screamed the first time.

I took both packs back to walgreens, they said they were sorry, I kinda wish I had took them back today, yesterday was not a good time  ::) Im afraid I might have been a little overly mad about the dead batteries  :-\

Sooooo you all think we now can wait another two years to change the batteries  ::) ;D

Marit

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 04:54:28 pm »
How is it possible to be overly mad about dead batteries that you must have bought at like, 5:15 in the morning?  It would have been Lizze Borden time if some battery operated alarm woke me up at 4 am to tell me "hey I'm out of power" and then the batteries to fix it didn't work either!  I might not have even needed the axe; I might have chopped the whole house to pieces with a Ginsu knife!  4 o clock in the morning....tha t's just WRONG.

I can see how everyone slept thru it, though.  I slept thru mine once.

It woke up three of the neighbors--it was about 1:30.  My complex manager figured I wasn't home yet, came in with a key so the other neighbors could go back to sleep, and had to shake me awake! 

I disconnected mine after that.  What's the point?  Someone's going to have to come and get me anyway!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad