Author Topic: Pink Nose Weimaraner!  (Read 15604 times)

Offline weimlover23

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Custom Dog Feeders
Pink Nose Weimaraner!
« on: December 20, 2005, 06:26:52 pm »
Around the age of 6 months, my weimaraner's nose started losing it's color.  His once brown nose turned pink! 

I discussed this matter with several vets, all of whom told me that this sometimes happens with this breed.  I have also heard that this may be a sign of an immune problem.  However, this doesn't seem to be the case.  Titan is a healthy, happy weim who just turned two (see attached picture).  One vet even suggested that I have his nose tattooed!  WHAT!?!  Titan may have a speckled nose, but I love him just the same! 

Just wondering if anyone else has seen pink noses in weims and what causes this loss of pigment.

Kiahpyr

Re: Pink Nose Weimaraner!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 06:29:34 pm »
I have no idea. I just want to say that's a great picture! I like his pink nose too!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 06:29:47 pm »
I have no idea about why pigment is lost, but we did have an all white akita (with a pink nose!) tatooed black to help protect it from sun damage.  It can be done and safely, but I do agree with you! He looks easy to love!!!  It just makes him distinctive and easier to find in a weimaraner crowd!!! ;D ;D

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 06:30:03 pm »
I have seen other dogs with pigment changes in noses, lips, gums, etc. so I wouldn't be worried either. He is absolutely gorgeous and that pink nose just makes me want to kiss it!

Shame on the vet who suggested you have it tattooed! I hope he was only joking.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline weimlover23

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Custom Dog Feeders
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 06:43:43 pm »
I do understand the need to protect a pink nose from the sun, but we just make sure we don't stay out too long when it's scorching hot out! 

Titan definately stands out in a crowd -- even a weimaraner one!  He also has a titanium crown on his bottom canine tooth!  You can't miss him!  (He broke it off chewing on a cage while at doggy daycare.  Needless to say we don't go to that daycare anymore.  The dogs spent more time in a cage than playing.) 

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 06:44:38 pm »
I agree, his nose is adorable. But I am partial to speckled pups.
Stella

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 06:48:44 pm »
I guess I get that at home, too. Although, Rocko's isn't quite speckled, more bi-colored
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 06:50:46 pm by jjfritsche »
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 10:33:38 pm »
We have a few weims come to the dog park, and I believe the older female (not that old, but the rest are puppies) has a partially pink nose.  I'm pretty sure I've seen it in other weims, too.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 11:35:27 pm »
Pigment lose is rather common and can be seen in alot of breeds. I have heard that feeding pure kelp can sometimes help.

I also did some research on this condition in Weims and a few things popped up over and over as being a possible cause:
Discoid Lupus Erythematosus
Poor genetics/breeding
Feeding from plastic bowls
and a handful of other immune problems.

If your vet has already mentioned immune problems it may be worth running some blood work to rule it out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 11:35:54 pm by VdogLover »

Offline weimlover23

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Custom Dog Feeders
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 11:46:38 pm »
Thank you so much for your help!  I will do some research of my own regarding this condition and the possible causes you mentioned.