Author Topic: I hate to admit it -- but I have a poop eater!  (Read 8012 times)

Offline weimlover23

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Custom Dog Feeders
I hate to admit it -- but I have a poop eater!
« on: December 20, 2005, 11:24:47 pm »
Anyone have any solutions/remedies for poop eating?  My adorable vizsla puppy (7 months) has a nasty habit of snacking on her own poop!  I have tried using ForBid but have not had any luck with it.  I have heard of using meat tenderizer, but am not sure how much I should use.  In the mean time, I have just been cleaning the mess up before she can nibble on it.  Perhaps she will grow out of this phase?  Please Help!   

k2campbell

Re: I hate to admit it -- but I have a poop eater!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 12:09:32 am »
Welcome to the poop-eaters club!  Kate does it too - it's nasty.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is pick up the poo as often as you can.  I pick it up in the morning (which are poops-from-the-evening/night-before) and when I get home from work (which is the lunchtime-poop and right-after-work-poop). 

I asked my vet - said there really isn't that much you can do except for pick it up.  She also said Forbid/meat tenderizer works on some dogs - not on others.  She did tell me it is something they will most likely outgrow - I sure hope so!

Good luck!  ;)

Offline erlethemerle

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 01:37:06 am »
It's nice to hear that it's something they might grow out of. None of my friends will go near Erle after they've seen him chow down on a big 'ol dookie, a lil embarassing. And the "I've never seen him do that before" line only works one time.  :-[

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 09:03:19 am »
I just came here to post the same kind of email.  Sadie has become a member of the poop eating club, and I have no idea what to do about it.  We leave her in the basement during the day while we're working, and I know she's eating it cause she leaves leftovers.  We try to pick it up from the yard before she gets to it, but she's a fast little booger.  Any pyr people want to chime in??  This can't be good for them!!!!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 09:24:53 am »
Add Tyra to the club..... ::)

This is something that she just started recently.  Even when I scoop twice a day I swear she saves taking care of business until right after I scoop.  She will then turn and pounce in front of it to roll it in the dirt (she is very careful not to mush it).  When she sees me coming she will grab a piece and run, drop it, and roll it some more in the dirt.  When I go after her again she just eats it and then will run over to me and want to nuzzle :-\ and give kisses  :-*

Cindy

Offline Terri

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 12:12:20 pm »
Oh gosh!! add my shyla to the list, she only eats poop cycles but I can't catch her to stop her! With 7 dogs here now and 20 degree temps I don't get the yard cleaned up like in the warm weather. I'm a bad mom. >:(

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 12:20:41 pm »
Trust me guys....they DON'T outgrow it!!!!  What is really, really gross is when they have had a before snacky of poopy and then throw it up during the night!!!!!!!  It doesn't get any grosser than that.  My scotty is the poop scooper here...I sure hope by Kuv doesn't learn to do it!!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 12:57:37 pm »
It's sooo embarassing -Binky is the Queen of Poop Eaters.  She is so gross- she actually follows Chicklet and McDougal around and eats it while they are going!!!  It has come to the point that I won't let friends go on the deck when the dogs are out (not that they'd want to in 16 degree temps) becuase if they saw her doing it they'd probably throw up!  My husband turned green when he saw Binky do it the other day.  I don't know how to break her of this while the other dogs are going, b/c if I yell or clap or try to grab her, it scares the other ones too!  At least Binky's not alone with her shameful secret!   
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 01:35:46 pm »
Just a question but if you put hot-sauce or red pepper on it would they stop after one time?
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 02:40:32 pm »
Kiya 1-1/2 still doing it, worst is shes also known as the million kisses girl. I do warn hubby or vet techs "NO Kiya kisses". Now that the phenobarbital is making her think shes starving its worse. My vet did say to try & bait her with the tabasco sauce but I don't think that will do any good unless I can get every poop she comes across. We will give it a whirl. Hubby swears its a game now with her, but I don't make a fuss. I walk around with the shovel & pick up as soon as I can. The only time I have a hard time is when 2 dogs poop at the same time.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 03:53:35 pm »
Ugh. Not this topic again!! AHH!! I can't escape it either, you guys. Mokey is a turd-hunter. Just when I think she has lost her taste for poo, I just caught her a minute ago about to chow down on Furley's pile. I have been giving everyone S.E.P. (stop eating poop) made by Solid Gold for at least 3 weeks... not sure how well it's working... I haven't tried the hot sauce thing. I keep forgetting to buy some. What can I say, when I am in the grocery store I am not thinking about dog crap!!! ;)
Anyhow, now that I just discovered she's still into it, something more drastic must be done. I like to take the dogs to the park, and if she eats some random poop that's laying around, who knows what she might catch!
I think we need a support group! Or our dogs do, anyways...

"My name is Mokey, and I eat poo."
"Hi, Mokey!"

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 06:05:21 pm »
I would try the meat tenderizer or solid gold s.e.p - if that doesn't work, picking it up right away is really the only answer.

Zoey was a poop eater for the first few months, but luckily she grew out of it.
RIP former BPO

Kiahpyr

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 07:24:30 pm »
I just came here to post the same kind of email.  Sadie has become a member of the poop eating club, and I have no idea what to do about it.  We leave her in the basement during the day while we're working, and I know she's eating it cause she leaves leftovers.  We try to pick it up from the yard before she gets to it, but she's a fast little booger.  Any pyr people want to chime in??  This can't be good for them!!!!

OMG!!!!! Sadie has grown a ton. I can't believe how big she is! She's gorgeous!!!

Kiah only eats frozen poop. I think cause it's hard she likes to chew on it. It's still gross!!!!!

Offline weimlover23

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Custom Dog Feeders
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 08:22:00 pm »
Well...I tried the meat tenderizer trick tonight.  We will see what happens.  I'm quite convinced though that nothing I sprinkle on Liberty's food is going to stop her from nibbling on a frozen treat when I'm not looking.   :-\  If only there were a miracle cure...we'd all be a bit happier! 

On a different note, I did find something more disgusting than a dog eating his own poop...brace yourself...HUM ANS eating their own poop!  I couldn't believe what I discovered while searching for anti-poop eating remedies online today. 

Some people actually eat their own/other people's poop and LIKE IT.  We're not talking about people eating poop as a means of survival -- we're talking about people eating poop for personal pleasure and enjoyment!  How disgusting and repulsive is that?  YUCK!

See...things could ALWAYS be worse.  Let's be thankful our loved ones don't eat poop -- then we'd really have something to worry about.   :) 

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 08:24:58 pm »
There goes my appetite... forever