Author Topic: Peeing the bed  (Read 3390 times)

Offline RottiesNY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Andy's dog site
Peeing the bed
« on: December 23, 2005, 11:43:26 pm »
 It isn't funny !  I have a pup ( well 5 months old now ) who pees when she sleeps. She is fine when awake. She is able to stay in the house without doing her business for hours but if she goes to sleep, watch out !!!  She is allowed on the furniture but she is peeing on my couch and I'm getting really tired of taking it apart to clean it.  She fell asleep on the bed last week and same thing. Now I have to keep my bedroom door closed. Any ideas ?  If I take her to the vet and it is a weak bladder is there anything they can do for it ?   

Help !
So many rescues, so little time !

enuffpaws

Re: Peeing the bed
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 12:02:40 am »
Is this something new, or has it been happening long term? If it is new, it could be a bladder infection and needs vet intervention before it turns septic. If it is long term it could be a weak bladder, and I am not sure what could be done for it. I am beginning to have the same problem with my 10 year old dobe, with occaisional incontenence when she sleeps.
There are only two things that I have found to help. I make sure that she goes outside and empties her bladder well just before bedtime, and I also will pad the couch where she lays most often, if I know she's having a hard time lately. Most chain stores carry those blue plastic and paper liners for wheelchairs and beds for people, and they are about 3' X2'. I put those under my couch throw that covers the seat of the couch. That way no one knows they are there, the rustling sound is muffled so it doesn't scare the dog, and the couch cover is easily laundered.
Niether of my suggestions will help the problem at the source, but can make living with it a bit easier.
I'm not laughing, either.
Stella

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 07:02:17 am »
Awwww - bless her! Get her checked out at the vets as there's lots they can do, depending on what it is. She could have an infection or the sphincter of her bladder isn't working properly and they can give her something like propalin. My friends sibe had an ectopic uretha and needed an operation, but she dribbled constantly, so it's probably not that serious if it's only happening when she's asleep.

Offline Perdi's Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 02:59:29 pm »
There actually is a medicine that is supposed to help with incontinence.  My neighbor has her 14 yr old dog on it.  I'll have to ask her what it is and let you know.  OTherwise your vet should be able to tell you after having her looked at.
Our pets love us no matter what....can't say the same for humans....

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 09:25:40 pm »
I have had a couple rescuers tell me that one sudafed a day can help with "leaking". You might research this online
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline RottiesNY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Andy's dog site
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 01:24:31 am »
I have had a couple rescuers tell me that one sudafed a day can help with "leaking". You might research this online

Thanks for the replies so far. This is more than leaking going on here. These are regular big dog puddles  :(.     I'll get her into the vet this week.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 03:43:26 pm »
Females as pups get vaginitus, it is very common up till about nine months of age, an antibiotic can help and i prolly would do one round, as they can get blisters in their privates if the vaginitus is bad enough.
another thing it could be that is quite common in females canines of any mix or origin is a flap of skin like a hymen in their privates that causes pee to pool and they seem to have incontinance and cant get out the door to pee without squating in the house first and peeing more frequent than normal.
another possibility could be pituitary gland, or problems with the tubes hooked up to bladder properly, there are other things, but first i would go to vet and ask them to look at her for the vaginitus and the possible common blockage emales can get.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline RottiesNY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Andy's dog site
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 06:38:03 pm »
 Thank you for the replies ! She will go to vet this week.  :)