Author Topic: Clicking Joints.  (Read 8478 times)

Lyn

Clicking Joints.
« on: December 08, 2005, 02:20:21 pm »
I've mentioned before that Bubba has clicking in his hips. He's had this daily for the last 4 months. He's been to the vet for this but not x-rayed.. yet. I've always assumed all this time that the sound was still coming from his hips.

Well today I decided to rotate his hips around and see what I could feel/hear. Well I felt nothing.. So now I'm getting confused trying to figure out where this sound is coming from. So I started moving his hocks (ankles) they click!! So I moved onto the carpus (wrists) and they click!!

Now at one point ALL his joints were clicking. But now his hips seem normal and just his wrists/ankles are clicking. I'm confused. LOL

Regardless I'm still going to have his hips x-rayed after christmas. I was going to wait as my vet suggested until Bubba was 18 months.. but I can't wait any longer.

I know clicking hips are one of the symptoms of HD.. so thank goodness the clicking seems to have stopped. But I can't find ANY info on clicking ankles/wrists. 

Does anyone know what that could be?

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Clicking Joints.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 02:31:16 pm »
I wish you luck..large/giant breed pups drive me nuts because you hear or feel something and ya think the worst....

I did it with Zero...got him xrayed hips and elbows and all were great...just growing pains...drive me nuts i tell ya

good luck
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 02:48:17 pm »
The clicking is from a lack of synovial fluid in the joints, and, at such a young age, that's pretty easy to treat with proper exercise and supplements.  Unfortunately, we have one horse with arthritis that clicks, so he needs a legend shot (HA injection, IV) every few weeks.  I'd check with your vet to rule out degenerative arthritis, start him on some supplements, and increase his exercise.  Sometimes just getting him moving more will lubricate those joints and the clicking will go away.

http://www.platinumperformance.com/  has some great supplements, but they can be costly.  Maybe someone else on the board or your vet has some other suggestions that are just as good but not quite so pricy.

Deena

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 10:10:43 am »
I hear that Babs.. every little snap, crackle and pop and I'm freaking out. lol

Good Hope, I'm going to be adding Vitamin C, Glucosamine & Chondroitin.. Any others you feel that I should also get?

When I take Bubba in for the X-ray, I'll get my vet to check for Degenerative arthritis. I just looked up the symptoms and he does not have any of them.. but better safe than sorry. 

As for exercise, Bubba's actually been pretty active now that's it's cold here. He loves to play now that he doesn't overheat.

Thanks..
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 10:13:28 am by Lyn »

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 11:01:21 am »
You are such a good mom! Sounds like you've got it covered. My gelding never shows symptoms either, just the click. I know he must be sore sometimes, but does whatever he's asked anyway. So, even though I doubt your baby has it just thought I'd mention it, incase.

You are welcome Lyn!

Deena

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 03:50:38 pm »
during growth it is common to have clicking going on, esp in giants, is he on gluc chond and msm? if not i would seriously think of supplimenting him with these three things.
i use joint health found at
http://www.springtimeinc.com
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 06:02:14 pm »
Any Bubba update Lyn?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 09:07:22 pm »
He's still clicking.  :( But I haven't picked up the supplements yet. Christmas made us broke.  :-\

But since Sar mentioned MSM I'll pick that one up along with the Glucosamine & Chondroitin. As soon as I can.

Can anyone help me with the dosage though? I searched but can't find any info on how much to give.

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 11:57:02 am »
The Glucosamine HCI & Chondroitin are combined. But the MSM is seperate. I didn't find anything that combined all 3.

I didn't know it was the same dosage for people. For some reason I thought it was different. So since Bubba is clicking I should go above the maintenance dose then?

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 04:28:00 pm »
The clicking doesn't seem to bother Bubba in the slightest. I have noticed the occasional click coming from his hips again too. But mainly it's his wrists/ankles still.

I'll have to take another look around the pharmacy. I noticed alot of the combined supplements contained Glucosamine sulfate instead of Glucosamine HCI. But there were so many different ones I could have missed one.

I also checked the pet store, and they didn't have anything for joints. So I'll have to go with the supplements at the pharmacy. The powder would be much easier though than having to crush pills.

Thank all for the help. Much appreciated.  ;D Now I just need to go shopping.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 04:59:33 pm »
in my post above is a link to joint health tabs that all my newf pups are raised on including the ones who go to new homes.
the link is in the post.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 08:31:44 pm »
Bava's on the Spring Time Joint Health also,  I also add human grade glucosamine for approx 3000mg a day of glucosamine daily , along with flax oil and ester c.
I don't know if it is part of growing up or if it is the supplements , but his joints are definetly getting better.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€