Author Topic: Terrible Teens  (Read 3326 times)

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
Terrible Teens
« on: December 24, 2005, 01:30:10 pm »
Well, Dyson is 7 month's old now and I guess he is going through his terrible teens.  We leave him down stairs at night and he chew's up everything..  Trash from knocked over trash cans and anything lefted on our end table.  Is that normal for 7 month old Pyrenees?  His Mother just had another litter of 6 (3M and 3F) and I was thinking about getting him another companion, but I am worried that it may be too much.  I know I should crate him, but I rather clean up ripped up trash than having to clean out his Crate Poop every morning. 

Randy
St. Louis, MO
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 01:35:25 pm by Jacksmom »
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
Re: Terrible Teens
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 01:55:07 pm »
 "Is that normal for 7 month old Pyrenees?"

In a word:  YES!!!

He'll do better in the crate with a blanket that smells of you...mine don't mess in their crates & they are 7, 9, 11 months & 1 year (my foster).  When you start him in the crate just have him go in, get a treat, & come out as you work with him going in, start having the door closed briefly, and then for longer periods.  Have him sit & be quiet (no whining or barking going on when you open the door.

Good luck!
-lauriew

Offline cincbcat

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 03:32:36 pm »
OH I feel for you!!!  All I can do is second the emotion of the previous response.  Sadie is almost 9 months, and she still chews up everything she can get her mouth on.  We leave her in the basement, and she started chewing the drywall right off our wall.  She also gets ahold of the trim down there and eats that, as well as the door frames.  We keep her stocked with bones, kongs and the such but she has an appetite for wood and trash. 
On the other hand, just this week, she pushed the basement door open cause I didn't latch it by accident, and was upstairs for about 2 hours unsupervised, with Christmas tree and all, and she didn't do anything wrong.  I closed my eyes before entering our house, sure she'd have had her way with just about everything we left out, but she hadn't.  It's weird, sometimes she's descructive and sometimes she isn't.  I do hope too that one day she can be trusted to be upstairs at night without destroying the house.  Just hang in there is all I can say!!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 02:30:56 am »
I never had much of a problem with this kind of thing...I allow my dogs free run of two rooms & I puppy proofed them to the hilt...Take away the things they can chew that you don't want them to in their area & WALLA!!...Great puppies! ;D

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 02:53:17 am »
OH I feel for you!!!  All I can do is second the emotion of the previous response.  Sadie is almost 9 months, and she still chews up everything she can get her mouth on.  We leave her in the basement, and she started chewing the drywall right off our wall.  She also gets ahold of the trim down there and eats that, as well as the door frames.  We keep her stocked with bones, kongs and the such but she has an appetite for wood and trash. 
On the other hand, just this week, she pushed the basement door open cause I didn't latch it by accident, and was upstairs for about 2 hours unsupervised, with Christmas tree and all, and she didn't do anything wrong.  I closed my eyes before entering our house, sure she'd have had her way with just about everything we left out, but she hadn't.  It's weird, sometimes she's descructive and sometimes she isn't.  I do hope too that one day she can be trusted to be upstairs at night without destroying the house.  Just hang in there is all I can say!!
just an added note..We crate trained Samson & let him out at 10 months...Keep on trying & give it a little more time!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 10:55:23 am »
We Keep our Dog's with us all night they sleep with us in our Room,they Are Trained Do Not Chew,they Sleep,all night!!!If You Train Your Dog Right You Will Never Have A Problem! They Need Food Water and more Most Of All LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 11:03:27 am »
Kiah chews up shoes, slippers, toys and anything that is left on the floor. We had her in a crate until 5 months then she destroyed it and hurt herself escaping (nothing serious). We don't use the crate anymore. She does have run of our living room and kitchen. I have to shut all doors to everyroom or she'll get in there and chew on everything. I'm sorry your going through this. It's normal. Kiah is 9 months and I thought the chewing would have stopped by now. No luck.

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 01:40:51 pm »
With Great Pyrenees you can expect puppy behavior until they are at least 18 mo old.  However it does deminish a little with each month of age.  My advise is to puppy proof a specific room she is kept in at night.  Most Pyrs are trash dogs, mearly because they can be with their size. Put the trash our of her area she stays in at night and give her lots to chew on, things that are approved.  Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 01:54:09 pm »
I agree. Pyr puppies do love to chew.  With Bear whom I got at 6 months he when though 5 pairs of running shoes one at a time. They were the cheap one for slopping around the yard work. He was about 12 moinths and stopped and other then the occasional paper never torm up anything.
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse