Author Topic: Thoughts on Rescue  (Read 6654 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Rescue
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 10:42:37 am »
There are some "rescurers" that get off on the power they control. If power and politics combine, and someone who is strong willed and opinionated (like you, Ang) is going to piss them off.

Thank, you I try :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 11:04:59 am »
What I'm saying is that breed rescues COULD cut back on people who go to BYBs, not ONLY by adopting to them, but education as well, such as "If we can't help you get a dog, and you DO choose to go to a breeder, here's things to look out for.">>>

Agreed and that is why we do just that only we take it a step further we give them a list of breeders in their area and beyond.
I can't be anti-breeder~be kinda calling the kettle black. I must say however I do get upset my area (good) breeders who still act as they don't know theres a need for Vizsla rescue....7 in one month = a need in my book.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 11:09:11 am »
What I'm saying is that breed rescues COULD cut back on people who go to BYBs, not ONLY by adopting to them, but education as well, such as "If we can't help you get a dog, and you DO choose to go to a breeder, here's things to look out for.">>>

Agreed and that is why we do just that only we take it a step further we give them a list of breeders in their area and beyond.
I can't be anti-breeder~be kinda calling the kettle black. I must say however I do get upset my area (good) breeders who still act as they don't know theres a need for Vizsla rescue....7 in one month = a need in my book.

See that's a good thing.  :)  I'm just saying that I wish rescues practiced it as a rule, as opposed to an exception
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Perdi's Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2005, 11:24:57 am »
I love to rescue dogs, but I too have incountered problems.  I tried to rescue a Dane and they told me no: "I didn't have a fenced yard with padlocked gates!" and so therefor I couldn't get one.  Ok, if someone wants to steal your dog, do you think a padlock is going to keep them out!  Come on...  Nevermind the fact that I am a stay at home Mom and homeschool my kids, so I home most of the day.  When I leave, my dogs come in.  I have an underground fence containment system, but I realize it doesn't work on every dog, but why can't I give it a chance anyways.  Otherwise I leash walk them which I have been doing with Perdi until her fence collar arrives.  My dogs come and go at will in my home.  I will hook up with a trainer if need be (which I have for my dane) and also train at home.  I want a dog to work with and blend into our family.  I also have children that are young, 8 and 6.  They have been around large dogs since they were born.  They know to stay out of their way.  Our dogs are also taught to be calm in the house and to watch out for the humans....gran ted my kids have been whacked by a few tails and knocked down (mainly by my spastic lab mix not paying attention to his insane self), but they get up and keep going.  Instead of a rescue taking the time to come to our home and see how our life is, they just say, nope....oh, well.  I have been lucky though and I waited long enough and Perdi just fell into our laps.  Her old owner called a couple of weeks ago to see how things were going and I thought that was really nice of her and showed that she cared about her pet-even though I feel she didn't do things for Perdi that she should have, but that's neither here nor there.  I know that she loved her...anyways. ...Rescues seem to go a bit overboard and seem to lose sight of what's important: finding good homes and setting up resources for training and help to the potential adopters and current adopters.  It makes all the difference in the world really.  When that is set up there will be less returns and more people will be able to adopt.  Not everyone gives a pet the kind of home that many of us here do with them being really spoiled and pampered, but that doesn't mean that they can't give a good home to a pet.       
Our pets love us no matter what....can't say the same for humans....

Lyn

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005, 11:45:26 am »
Before we got Bubba we looked into Newf rescue and a Saint rescue. We were turned down by both because our son is under the age of 10, our "potty" area fence is only 4 feet and because I have an unspayed female cat.. she was only 10 weeks old at the time. And my vet will not spay until 6 months old.

So I started looking for breeders and discovered a now former friend had Saint pups. I went there and the rest is history.

But as for the requirements.. My son is 9.. what difference does a year make really? He knows and respects animals. He would have been what.. half an inch taller.  ??? The fencing I do understand and I could increase the height..  As for my unspayed cat.. I still don't get that one.  ???

Just thought I'd share my frustrating experience. LOL

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2006, 10:46:44 am »
My rescue experience was the opposite.  I was 11 hrs away but the rescue group I worked with bent over backwards to get me the perfect dog.  My local group would NOT at that time place a Pyr in a working situation.  They've mellowed a little on that stance since then.  I suspect part of the reason the other group was willing to help me was because I wrote the longest e-mail in history explaining everything from my past experiences to my past dogs to my current setup, my philosophy on dogs, what I wanted...  Basically I told them everything I could think of.  They broke a pile of their rules and gave me one of the most amazing dogs I think I'll ever own in my life.   My local group has recently not been willing to let me foster because I wouldn't have the Pyr inside.  I do understand that a house raised Pyr would not be happy outdoors but there are a LOT of Pyrs who are not happy indoors and would rather be out there guarding like they were bred to do!  I spent a lot of time daily with my Pyr walking him, petting him, brushing him despite the fact that he was primarily outdoors.  He came in a few times a week but he was mostly an LGD (and the love of my life).  I'm available to foster now but they don't seem to think that is an appropriate situation.  Well fed, well cared for, loved, excercised, secure fencing, but not indoors.  They still seem to think that a working situation is not as good as an indoor situation despite the fact that the breed was designed to work.  Personally, I truly believe that some Pyrs will not be happy until they can work.  Our male was happy to be in the house when it was daytime but when the sun went down, he HAD to be out there prowling. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 10:51:08 am by longshadowfarms »
Daphne

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2006, 11:29:03 am »
I am glad (well not really) that I am not the only one with some problems with the way certain rescues are run.  I was adamant about adopting a Pyr from rescue b/c I was obsessed with Petfinder and knew there were a ton out there.  I filled out the application, spoke to a volunteer who was going to make a home visit and never heard from her again.  I e-mailed several times with no response.  I can't imagine why!  We met all the requirements- fenced yard, had researched the breed, were willing to have a home visit, etc. but they totally blew me off!  I eneded up buying Binky from a great breeder and am very happy with her of course, but I still feel almost guilty for not adopting.  However, it was not an option since rescue would not get in touch with me.  People like this give alll rescues a bad rep.  I know they need to be selective, but when my friends heard about the process we were willing to go throught to adopt a dog, they couldn't beleive it!  They said adopting a child probably required the same amount of effort and that, if they were to get a dog, they'd go to a breeder.  It's really too bad that many deserving people are not able to adopt.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat