Author Topic: Daisy's in her first heat!  (Read 6995 times)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
Daisy's in her first heat!
« on: December 26, 2005, 08:59:10 pm »
I wanted to get her fixed before she was 7 months but we had to move and just couldn't get it together in time. She started bleeding a week ago just shy of 7 1/2 months. Since I had planned on getting her fixed earlier I haven't educated myself on female dog reproduction. Her behavior hasn't really changed, but she is making a mess  :-\
How long does this usually last? It's been about 7-8 days. I'd like to have her fixed this week if possible.
Secondly, I just moved and haven't found a vet that I like yet. They have been getting their shots at a clinic that doesn't have discount spay or neuter(they are affliated with a vet group that I don't care for).
I am willing to pay for quality care but have yet to find a vet that I feel really cares about the animals more so than upselling me. Is there a less costly alternative for spaying?
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy's in her first heat!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 09:05:11 pm »
I just got an english mastiff that needs to be spayed. I have been calling around to check on prices. We have a low cost spay neuter clinic here. They actually told me if I can afford a regular vet, take her there. She said "you dont want to bring your dog here. We don't have a heart monitor or anything else if a complication should arise". That is kind of scarry for the animals I think. So if you do choose a low cost thing, check it out first. Good luck.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 11:46:01 pm »
The heat cycle will take about three to four weeks.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 11:59:49 pm »
You have my sympathy.  Bella just went through one but it was pretty short, about a week and a half.  Thought I might kill her before it was over.  I have 1 rug in my whole house and had to shampoo it twice!   :o

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 08:01:49 pm »
Put her in men's boxers with the fly in the back for the tail.  Dixie's first heat started the day of the dog show and lasted for almost 4 weeks.  There were 4 days of standing heat.  During that time it was Sugar Bear that made me crazy, he would not leave her alone.  It was funny to watch since he is fixed and did not have any idea what it was he was trying to do.  Dixie pulled him around like a train, he would mount her and she would start to jog until he would fall.  Poor boy!

Lisa

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 08:12:34 pm »
We actually figured that out last night and it worked! Great advice  :D
She's going to the vet as soon as this is over.
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 11:25:31 pm »
Be careful with her or you could end up with a pregnant female!  Every time she pee's she is leaving her "scent"  you may end up with unwanted visitors.  The only nutcase when Beauty heats is Aidan her mate!  He is a freakin maniac!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 11:59:18 pm »
How on earth do you keep him away from her 24/7 when you plan to skip a heat?  I would love to have a show male but an not sure how I would keep them in the same house yet apart.

Lisa

Be careful with her or you could end up with a pregnant female!  Every time she pee's she is leaving her "scent"  you may end up with unwanted visitors.  The only nutcase when Beauty heats is Aidan her mate!  He is a freakin maniac!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 12:22:21 am »
You will see that after usually 7-10 days she will change a bit and act more willing  ;) they usually dont stand until then and that usually lasts for about a week or so. some dogs stand earlier and others later, some a week, others only a couple of days. But already said be careful, because they are really really clever when it comes to getting to eachother. I would wait to spay her until the heat is over, if you do it now, when she is in prime heat, she will most likely bleed much more during the surgery. The risks are much smaller if it is done when they are not in heat.

Dixie.... I used to have intact both males and females when I was showing and breeding danes. My boy Zorro, had to go stay with my parents about 4-5 days into the heat and stayed there until "risk over" lol. We were there every day though, so it wasnt that bad, and he absolutely adored my parents. If that had not been an option, I guess we would have separated them at home, the really bad part is that once the female went into a standing heat, poor Zorro was "serenading" her 24/7, until I felt like strangling him or myself lol.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 12:34:10 am »
Sugar Bear did the same thing and he is fixed. ???  Guess he does not know that.
Lisa

Dixie.... I used to have intact both males and females when I was showing and breeding danes. My boy Zorro, had to go stay with my parents about 4-5 days into the heat and stayed there until "risk over" lol. We were there every day though, so it wasnt that bad, and he absolutely adored my parents. If that had not been an option, I guess we would have separated them at home, the really bad part is that once the female went into a standing heat, poor Zorro was "serenading" her 24/7, until I felt like strangling him or myself lol.

Marit

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 10:10:45 am »
During her standing heat I would take her to the shop and let him stay home for half the day and then switch at lunch.  She did tell him to back off a few times.  There were a few day you could tell she just did not feel good and just wanted Mommy to love on her. 

The hard part was her still getting time to play in the yard, but not without me.  We have a fenced area off their room and then another fence around the full property. So she was in a fence in a fence and I still would not let her be out alone.  Next time should be just a little better since I know what to look for in the standing heat time which is Sugar Bear going nuts. ;)

Lisa

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 01:19:34 pm »
We do  not keep them together at all.  Aidan stayss in the house with us, kennel for him in front of the house, Beauty has run of the LARGE fenced area behind the house.  for roughly 4 weeks they were completely seaperated.  We spend alot of time with both dogs while they are quarantined, I don't want them to feel neglected, but really they all did just fine.  Aidan was a maniac regardless of where we had him, barking incessantly, every manner he learned went right out the window.
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 09:40:22 pm »
O my goodness! The past two days have been so hard with the two of them. I sprained my wrist yesterday trying to keep Luke off off her. We separated them today and while she is fine, he evidentally is going nuts at home. The poor guy seems like he's going to hyperventilate! We've kept boxers on her but he mounted her a couple of times for a few seconds when she was without them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nothing comes of this. I have certainly learned my lesson about waiting too long to fix my animals.
Question: worst case scenario she winds up pregnant.....b/c they are littermates will this affect the puppies health? 
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 11:06:23 pm »
Did they tie or did he just mount her?

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 12:39:00 am »
Yes if she in fact is pregnant, it is not a good thing that they are litter mates, thats inbreeding and can do all kinds of wacko things to the puppies.

Since you are going to spay her anyway, I would take her to the vet. and if there is any risk she is pregnant, they might be able to spay her and even if pregnant, I know that some vets really dont want to do that with giant breeds because they have a tendancy to bleed worse when they are in heat or pregnant, but early in the pregnancy it shouldnt be a problem I think. You may think it sounds really cold and heartless, but to me it would probably be better to not have puppies from two siblings. But that is something you have to feel ethically okay with if you decide that is what you want to do.

But if they didnt tie, hopefully she is not pregnant.

Good Luck and let us know what is happening and lol. tell that boy he has to stay off her  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog