Author Topic: new to saint  (Read 2702 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
new to saint
« on: December 27, 2005, 08:16:30 pm »
   hello, my name is Leah. im new here and relatively new to saint bernards also. i am planning to adopt 2 saint puppies within the next few months so i am trying to learn as much about them as i can. i was wondering if there are any suggestions about what gender to adopt. 2 boys, 2 girls, one of each?
  also, if you have any other useful information about saints that i might need to know, i would appreciate it.
  you guys have a great discussion board here and i have enjoyed reading through the posts.
   thanks,
    Leah

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: new to saint
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 08:38:20 pm »
Hi Leah,

Welcome to BPO and welcome to the wonderful world of Saint Bernards.
There are many things that you should know about saint bernards. I suggest you read through the old saint bernard discussions, as well as the general board since many issues that apply to breeds like newfs
also apply to saints. The five biggest things that I feel you need to consider very very carefully before adopting a saint are these:

1. your dog will be HUGE. I mean HUGE. I know this pretty much goes with out saying for saints, but many of the saints that end up in rescue are because the original owner says 'i didn't realize he was going to get that big'
2. Your dog will shed. Alot. All year long. And you can vacuum and de-hair your clothes all you want, but your house and clothing will always b covered in hair.
3. Your saint will drool. A lot. Mostly only when it is hungry or excited, but, well, saints are easily excitable.
4. Your saint will cost a lot. Between food, vet bills, and supplements, a saint will cost more than your average dog.
5. This is the most important thing for you to realize: saints have a lot of health problems. The most prevalent is hip dysplacia. Saints have a high frequency of hip dyplasia, and it is a painful and stressful disease. The only way to reduce your likelihood of getting a saint without HD is to get a breeder who can prove to you that both of its parents are OFA certified, and even that is not a gaurantee. Saints are also known to have eye problems and elbow problems.

If you have thought carefully about all those things, and are prepared to handle them, then you are ready to get a saint puppy! Saints are wonderful dogs who are, in my experience, the sweetest and gentlest dogs on the planet.

My very best advice to you is to seek out a reputable breeder who has OFA certifications . It will help you avoid the heartbreak that comes from seeing your beloved saint in pain from HD.

Are you planing to adopt two pups from the same litter? This might make training very tough (keep in mind that saints are harder/slower to train than other dogs, and having two puppies to train at the same time will not double the work, it will triple it).

I hope that I have not scared you away from saints, because that is not my intention, but I do believe it is very very important that people realize what they are getting into before they adopt one of the loveable ol giants.

RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 08:57:56 pm »
Welcome Leah! Saints are great dogs and Shangrila did a great job of letting you know some really important things. Although I don't have a Saint, I'm sure lots of others here can give you great advice. Good luck in choosing your pups. I've heard many different opinions on what is best regarding genders but I think as long as they know that you are the alpha all of the time, you will not have any problems. 
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 10:07:14 pm »
Congrats on your decision. Saints are great.

One thing I've heard several times is that if you get two puppies at once, they are more likely to bond more strongly with each other and less with you than if you got them a year or two apart. I don't know how much is true, but training two dogs at once can be difficult. My dogs kind of play off of each other, though. My lab is about a year older then my Saint (he'll be 6-m-o tomorrow). Sadie, my lab, can be a bit stubborn, but picks up on things quickly. Riley is more interested in getting the treat, so he'll do whatever you ask... he just doesn't understand all of the commands. He picks up some from Sadie, and she starts to respond more b/c he's responding and getting the attention.