Author Topic: I need your prayers, Dilbert was hit by a car  (Read 12729 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
I need your prayers, Dilbert was hit by a car
« on: December 29, 2005, 06:15:03 pm »
My worst nightmare happened. Dilbert was on his tie out yesterday and broke free. And He got hit by a car. He got up and ran. I ran after him but could not keep up. I called Tim and we went looking, Animal control caught him and they released him to us and we took him to the vet right away. They examined him and took Xrays and because of the quality of they xray she couldn't give us a straight answer as to if he had a punched lung ect. But she said that there could be air in his chest and he may need a chest tap. But no broken bones that she could tell.  So we took him home and the vet told us to moniter him ect and if he has trouble breathing to take him to emergenct right away. I woke up at 3 am and he was sleeping fine on his side. He woke up and I took him out to pee and he came back in and I checked his gums and they were fine but he seemed to be wheezing. I woke Tim up and I got him to listen to his lungs. Tim did and he said that it sounded like wheezing. He went to do a search on the internet and I stayed watching Dibby, I knew that something was wrong when Joe(the cat)walked by and he didn't even lift his head. We took him to the emergency. They did blood work and all is fine, the vet said that his emzymes were high, but that is normal with trauma. They did more xrays and the vet said that he has pulminary contusions(bruised lungs) and she wasn't sure but posible hairline fracture in his ribs. She didn't need to give him oxygen or do a chest tap. She said that he is going to be OK.But she said to take him to our regular vet to observe him for the day. So he is there now. The vet called us and she needs to do a chest tap because he has pneumothorax,(small hole in his lungs)  and his chest has 50 air in it. So it took about 24 hrs for this to happen. And he has to be in the emergency for the weekend.  I am so scared, I just want him to be OK. They tell us that he is fine and then this. Please pray for us. And anyone with any info on these things that he has would be great.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

GR8DAME

Re: I need your prayers, Dilbert was hit by a car
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 06:30:27 pm »
Oh Nina, I am so sorry!! Please know that Dilbert and all your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that he will be back home and on the mend soon.
Stella

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 06:54:35 pm »
Nina I am so sorry. Kiah and I are sending happy thoughts to you and Dilbert. Hopefully he'll be home soon. Give him a big hug from us.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 06:55:59 pm »
Poor Dilbert. I think that's one of most dog owner's worst nightmares.

Fingers and paws crossed here that he's going to be okay.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 07:00:23 pm »
Nina I'm so sorry.  When Araby was like 4 months old she got hit by a car and it was the worst thing ever!  I felt so ill.  I don't know if this is anything like the same but someone in one of my other rooms has a dog with "Pneumothorax" They extracted 5.3 liters of air from ONE SIDE of his chest!  He had surgery and is doing fine now!  Good luck Dilbert, we love you!
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 07:06:24 pm »
Oh Nina...I am so sorry for you and Dilbert. Our prayers go out to you. I hope that your baby is home safe soon so that you can help him heal with extra TLC! Give him extra kisses and hugs for us! And hang in there, he will be good as new when he comes home.  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 07:15:58 pm »
I'm hoping that Dilbert will be fine.  I am always afraid of car vs dog, but sometimes things just happen.  Dilbert is a lucky guy for coming out of an accident like that with minor injuries. Will be praying for him tonight!
Paul
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 07:18:58 pm »
Thanks for all of your support
~ Nina and Tim

The vet just called us about 10 mins ago. This is the update, Dilbert has finished his chest tap and they extracted a little over 900ml of air. He is doing better and more relaxed but needs to be in the clinic for the weekend to monitor and most likely have another tap done. Our vet did say that his breathing is greatly improved and  that there is a good 80% chance of full recovery.

We will be moving him to the night time clinic in about 2 hours. I think that there is a lot more driving and praying to do. but mainly for a speedy recovery. Once again I (Tim) and Nina would like to thank you all for the support you are giving. we will post again once we move him.

Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

SA_horses

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 07:22:28 pm »
I am sorry that this happened.  :'(  My mother (Good Hope) and I will pray for you.

Often, problems do not become evident until 24-48 hours after the injury - I'm glad that you caught it before it became worse.

I have the Merck Veterinary Manual, but there isn't much information about pneumothorax and you pretty much know everything that applies.  However, you might want to be aware that surgery is recommended if there is still air leaking after 72 hours of lung drainage.

You didn't mention Dilbert's temperature.  Was he febrile?

I hope Dilbert pulls through okay, and I really think that he will.  :)

Sofia

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 07:27:48 pm »
All his other functions are fine at the moment. Normal temp and he has been peeing without a problem. Eating fine etc. Even his color looks good. He is a strong pup so I truely feel that all will be good. But you cant help think of the other 20%. There may be an option of bringing him home by tomorrow.

Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 07:29:11 pm »
Nina, I thought I'd paste everything the guy in my other room is going through right now, with pics of his boy after the surgery.

---------
Well,For those that have seen my posts.....I think we've found a cause for Larkin's lack of apetite.
Took him to the Vet yesterday,He was breathing rapid,Shallow breaths.He was uncomfortable,Wouldn't eat and had lost 7 more pounds this week.

My 5YO 37" male was down to 102lbs and I finally found a Vet that took that "seriously".........

So,Upon Exam,He felt a "Mass" on his Stomach and said his Lungs sounded "Bad".
They did X-rays to find the air in his chest cavity to the point where his Heart was only getting/taking up about half the space it was supposed to.
They used a needle to extract the air on one side of his chest,They got 5.3 liters of air!!!!!
After that,They did and Ultrasound to get a better look at the "Mass"......BIG RELIEF!.....It was his "wimpy"-sized spleen folded over on his stomach.
Before they extracted the other side of his chest they gave the surgery option.......I didn't want to have surgery done to prolong any inevitable conclusion but the outlook was becoming brighter at this point so I let them do it.
His Lungs had inflammation on all Lobes and looked to be repairing themselves as there was no more leaking present,So they took a sample from a Lobe to send out for Biopsy but the Surgeon didn't suspect Cancer.More likely an Allergic reaction or some more Technincally challenging things to type.

I will visit him today for as long as they will let me and I've worked all morning to have things as comfortable as possible for him when he comes home,They're thinking tomorrow.
The Vet he is at is also an ER for Animals so he's being observed round-the-clock.
I called this morning and they said he was doing "Real Well" and they weren't getting much air out through the Chest Tube which means his Lungs are doing well.

These are the first steps of many,I have alot of questions as to what to expect but first I want to get my BIG GUY Home.......Esp ecially after the scare of losing him yesterday before we got some favorable answers.

Thank you all for being here.
------------
He's drinking alot which is good,But seems to have the constant sensation that he needs to pee constantly.He's goes good but then walks a lttle and tries again and again to go more.The Vet says make sure he is going regularly and he just may have some inflammation which should subside.

He's looking more comfortable and getting some rest,This was this morning after taking his precription.

--------------
Oh yeah......His Spleen is fine,It was just mentioned because of the size and placement made it "feel" like something it wasn't during the initial exam.

He's gettin' alot of LOVE,Thanks again
--------------
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 07:38:40 pm »
Thank your for the additional info Ang. I am starting to feel better but I hate not having him here with me. But I know it is for the best and he needs to be monitored right now. But it is so hard and I just can't stop crying  :'( I just have to think of the brighter side. That he is alive and being taken care of right now.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 08:00:52 pm »
Oh Nina, I am so sorry.  I will be praying for your boy!

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 08:24:55 pm »
I really hope he gets to come home tomorrow.
Keep you in my thoughts.

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 08:30:45 pm »
You're in our thoughts and prayers!  Get well soon!