Author Topic: Sewing Machine help!!  (Read 4119 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Sewing Machine help!!
« on: December 29, 2005, 11:02:40 am »
I am trying to use the sewing machine my mother left me.  I know the basics.  I broke the needle off this morning and don't know what to do.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

Re: Sewing Machine help!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 11:06:01 am »
you unscrew the thing that holds the needle in and put a new one in...unless the needle broke and is now stuck ... then you have to wiggle and jiggle it out carefully till the arm starts moving again.

Offline Perdi's Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 11:07:45 am »
What kind is it?  If you broke the needle and the machine is a more modern model, then there should be a little fat, flat headed type screw at the top of the shaft of where the needle was.  You unscrew that a little and the needle should fall out or you can pull it out.  Then you can put a new one in (the needle needs to be the correct size related to the fabric you are using), but they normally go in a certain way.  There is a flat side and rounded side, normally the flat side goes facing the back of the machine.     
Our pets love us no matter what....can't say the same for humans....

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 11:48:59 am »
It is a Bernina and it is probably close to 20 years old.  I might have to cave and call my Grandma and since she is hard of hearing it might just be a very stressful easy fix.
Thanks,

cricket36580

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 11:49:21 am »
Is the needle stuck in the bobbin trace?  Is there a bunch of thread and stuff stuck too?  Have you gotten it out yet?  I'll be back on here later or you can pm and I'll send you my phone #...

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 11:55:40 am »
Everything is stuck.  I'll try and fix it without doing more damage.  Wish me luck.
Thanks,

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 11:56:57 am »
I have a really old Bernina too!  It is really a great machine   :)   My advise to you would be to go on ebay and buy copies of the servicing manuals.  My mom got them for me and they really have helped when little things go wrong and I dont think they're very expensive at all.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 12:00:40 pm »
I have a really old Bernina too!  It is really a great machine   :)   My advise to you would be to go on ebay and buy copies of the servicing manuals.  My mom got them for me and they really have helped when little things go wrong and I dont think they're very expensive at all.

I hadn't even thought of that, thank you. 
Thanks,

cricket36580

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 12:13:07 pm »
Sent you a pm....

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 01:51:45 pm »
20 years old isn't very old.  I have my mom's old one, which is 35 years old, because she prefers Grandma's 1942 Singer.  The newer your sewing machine, the more complicated it is to fix stuff like broken needles!

Seriously, I suggest you call a service center and make an appointment to have it serviced, and tell the person there that you don't know anything about it, and ask them to SHOW you how to do this kind of basic stuff as part of the servicing, rather than just dropping it off to have it done.

That's what I did. 

Those guys were totally sweet about it--showed me all kinds of stuff I would NEVER have known was important about the tension knob and how different threads affect the tension, why different fabrics need different needles, why you need different foots, bobbins and bobbin case stuff, where your machine needs to be oiled, how often it needs to be oiled, what oiling it does--they even showed me how to work the decoration cams that came with it that I'd never seen used before.  I had no idea that lint could build up inside some of those places and that I needed to canned air the sewing machine!

It's  the best $50 dollars I ever spent in furtherance of my in-fits-and-starts crafting schemes.

I have the manual that came with this one--it's in a plastic packet inside the case, but it's always been of limited use to me.  Taking it to the service center for some hands on instruction was much more useful.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 04:17:13 pm »
Neighbor guy was outside talking to the fence guys and I got to talking to him.  His wife is a sewer and she came over and fixed it and showed me some of the simple things I can do with it.  Thank you everyone for your help.  I think I will call and get it serviced next week.
Thanks,

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 04:18:34 pm »
servicing isn't that expensive.  Even when i break mine it's under $75 to fix it.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 04:18:47 pm »
Isn't it so nice when someone nearby can help you out!! My MIL comes over everytime I get in a sewing pickle.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 04:21:34 pm »
20 years old isn't very old.  I have my mom's old one, which is 35 years old, because she prefers Grandma's 1942 Singer.  The newer your sewing machine, the more complicated it is to fix stuff like broken needles!

Hey, I win (at least over your mom)! I have my mother's Singer sewing machine that she got as an early wedding present. She sewed her own wedding dress (and bridemaids dresses) on it in 1966. I don't use it much, but it's a great workhorse. Mom's new one doesn't handle thick/bulky material like the old one. Mom and I sewed my daughter a fleece costume for Halloween, and her machine couldn't handle two layers of fleece, but the old one had no problems!

But, this wasn't supposed to be about me. I second the ideas of ebay for a manual and/or talking to a local repair shop. And stock up on bobbins, the older ones are harder to find.

Good luck!
Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina