Author Topic: Fireworks Warning - They can kill your dogs  (Read 9637 times)

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
Fireworks Warning - They can kill your dogs
« on: December 30, 2005, 03:37:43 am »
Tonight, Dec 31, it the one year anniversary of the death of my old dog, a chow mix named Buddy Boy.  I left home before dark, Boy acted like it was time to go inside, but I gave him a treat and he seemed fine.

The jerk morons down the street were blasting off fireworks as soon as it got dark. My next door neighbors, who gave me Boy, came to look after him, but he was already gone. They called me, but I'm sure it was already too late.  Boy only got out three times in the six years I had him, and all three were because he got scared by fireworks. I found his remains a block away the next day.

The same jerks were cleaning up their back yard today, getting ready for tomorrow nights party.  But I'm ready this year. The Fire Marshall has already been contacted about their illegal fire pit.  I've got my camera ready, I'll take pictures and will file charges against them if they shoot anything off. Another neighbor owns the house where the party is being held, and I'm going to talk to them tomorrow.

But, this message is for all you BPOers, keep your dogs inside and safe tonight, and probably tomorrow night also. Some jerk somewhere will be shooting of fireworks, and I don't want anyone to suffer what I did last New Year.

Please, keep bumping this message all day today.

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Fireworks Warning - They can kill your dogs
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 08:00:34 am »
what a sad story.  i would never take a dog to fireworks, and you see it all the time.  it would have to be deafening for them.  it probably would not have occured to me about backyard parties.  thanks for the warning!!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 10:20:26 am »
Since there are also a number of you guys that have horses too, you should watch out for them i know mine get spooked and a friend's horse got an ulcer and coliced due to some fireworks.  So you should keep and eye on all of your pets.  I'm sorry about your Chow though PupDaddy and I hope you get the jerks responsible.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 12:23:57 pm »
Oh...what a horrible senseless loss.
I'm sorry your last new year started so painfully.

On 4th of July...firwork s?...sure but I wouldn't have thought of fireworks on NYE without this post.
Thank you for posting this.   

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 02:25:07 pm »
That is such a terrible story pupdaddy. I am sorry for your loss  :'(

Zoey has only been traumatized once by fireworks. We were walking her around the soccer fields in town one random day last fall and all the sudden there were fireworks. It was 'apple fest' and it turns out they have a big fireworks show for that. Anyways, luckily zoey was still relatively small (like 50lbs) because we had to carry her and comfort her scrambling body the whole way home (like a mile). It was terrible.
RIP former BPO

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 11:53:20 pm »
bump

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 12:33:09 am »
Walter, I am so sorry you had to go through that last year. :'(

All my pooches are safe inside tonight (as am I!) and I will be sure to keep them close and only let them go out with my supervision. My neighborhood seems pretty calm tonight, luckily. I hope everyone else's pups are nice and cozy-safe inside right now! :)

Offline Perdi's Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 12:46:13 am »
My pups are inside and my horses are hidden in the tree line in the back pasture as far away from the fireworks as they can get....
Our pets love us no matter what....can't say the same for humans....

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 12:08:08 am »
Iam so sorry for your loss, it is hard to lose a pet. i had an experiencce with jerks an dfireworks too, but no one got hurt. I took Sammie down to the playground were we always go last year around the 4th or july. some idiot was standing on the slide stucture and i noticed he had something in his hands...a few minutes later at he other end of the park he started THROWING extra fireworks directly at Sammie. he is scared of loud noises, so what he did really amazed me. it was really weird. he leaped up on the play thing and started attacking the guy, but backed off when i said "drop it!" "leave it!" he came back to me with fire cracker in mouth, as if to say "i did it! now its quiet!" the guy ran, but couldn't file charges because Sammie never broke the skin-just held the guy down. just thought i would share that story-even though this post is old. i hope this year is TONS better than last, good luck (for next year, or course!)

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007