Author Topic: LETTER TO THE EDITOR  (Read 3654 times)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
« on: December 31, 2005, 04:03:26 pm »
Our letter to the editor was finally published, it can be viewed on the web at the address below.  There is also a comment section.  One comment so far which I replied to, but it takes 24-48 hours for the paper to review and put up the comments.  Apparently the lady who did comment is saying we let our dogs run free and what a lesson to learn at the puppies expense.  Anyway I had a few things to say to that and will find out later if it gets posted, probably tomorrow!  Happy New Year everyone!

Letter: Unattended traplines could be deadly to domestic pets
Web Posted Wednesday, December 28, 2005
http://HTTP://www.bemidjipioneer.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=94&ArticleID=22288

Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: LETTER TO THE EDITOR
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 06:03:39 pm »
Wow Shana! I'm glad that you wrote that letter to let others know of how their irresponsibili ty can affect innocent lives. It is not right to disregard the law even if an incident like this had not occured before. And your poor baby, thank goodness she is alright.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 06:25:54 pm »
I've just looked at the letter - well done. I also noted the response from another reader. I felt so angered at that response, I replied. - well its not been a good week! I doubt they'll publish so I attach it here.

Andy Bell & Hovis.

A Nice comment by Gail but I fail to see how wild, endagered species and other wild animals not intended for trapping will benefit from such advice. The one thing that is quite obvious is that they'll be a whole lot safer moving in with Shana, there seems a whole lot more care there. The Law is to prevent suffering being caused to trapped animals. I Hunt and shoot but there is no need to see any animal suffer needlessly in an unattended trap.

Andy Watson
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 07:14:27 pm »
I also replied, it takes apparently 24-48 hours before it posts but I was a bit peeved as well to her comment, especially when in my original letter it clearly states "my husband was out working on the kennel"  sometimes people do not read completely.  On another note we went cross country skiing today around the farm, Steve is making me some trails, we went for about 1 1/2 hours and took Aidan with us, he had so much fun!  Tomorrow after work I am going to go again and take Beauty this time, then Cali, we figured we would rotate the dogs so I don't have all 3 large ones at once, potential for them running is there.  My surgeon told me I could start some mild exercises after the neck surgery and wanted me to work my left arm, what better way to do that I figure, plus it will help get rid of the winter pounds!  LOL!!!!!  I am sore already and would of liked to die when I arrived home, I swear I know its cold out and all the "winter" gear was necessary but I was HOT!!!!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 07:17:29 pm »
Nice comment by the way!  I would not be suprised at all if they post it, sometimes it seems that the more controversial the content the longer it runs, I think the thing they edit out is foul language, threats etc...My original title was "Irresponsible Trapping In Tenstrike" Which they changed, it was to much of a "finger Point" apparently.  Myrissa's letter did not get published but I have kept it in my keepsake chest and will have it laminated regardless so we will have it to look back on for years to come. 
Storm Jameson

Offline Perdi's Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 07:44:47 pm »
Here was my reply to that Gail woman...what a heartless person...

Gail, I hope that you never have a pet accidentally get loose one day and get hurt.  I'd hate for some callous person say to you: "Well you should have been more careful."  Accidents happen and she asked the trapper to check for her just in case as she didn't know where all his traps were.  It is the law to check your traps daily.  If the trapper can't do it, then that person doesn't need to be trapping.

I'm glad that your letter got published!
Our pets love us no matter what....can't say the same for humans....

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 07:51:16 pm »
I'm sure there will be numerous comments regarding your article.  Well written.

Did you ever find out what happened to your neighbors?  Did anyone check their lines or fine them or anything?

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 10:55:01 pm »
Way to go BPOers.....tha t woman was wrong in her comment to Shana and needs to know how we feel.
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 01:30:40 pm »
ZooCrew, Nothing ever happened despite numerous calls and inquiries.  It is very frustruating to say the least.  Really makes me wonder what hte heck the DNR and Game Wardens around here actually do....Needless to say we and others around us are keeping a close eye on them and will continue to call when we notice illegal doings.  I hope one of these days something actually is done before real damage is inflicted on a pet or wild animal.  Lets hear it for small towns....Our population in Tenstrike is 148.  Guaranteed if this happened in Bemidji, the bigger town or Blackduck just a tad smaller than Bemidji they would be all over it....
Storm Jameson

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 08:34:49 pm »
A great letter  :D I was thinking about that some time ago, what happened to them, but now I see that nothing happened, that is just too sad. I wrote a comment too, we'll see if they publish it or not  ;)

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 11:32:18 pm »
Well, I posted the following:

You know Gail, help me out here. I'd really like to understand your thinking process. How do you or anyone else for that matter, come up with blaming a dog owner for a trapper breaking the law and not checking his traps daily. Furthermore, in a small town, such as Tenstrike, what happened to common courtesy? Courtesy and helping one another in rural America is what has kept this country strong. When a neighbor calls and says, "gee my puppy got loose, could you please check your traps today?" What did the neighbor do? Both, the neighbor's response to do nothing, as well as blatantly break the law, says alot about the state of our country today. Your response, one that at the very least, demonstrates an inability to think in a logical manner and that is rather frightening.

We'll see if they print it.
Deena

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 11:48:03 pm »
Well, they appeared to have printed everyone's comments.  Good job BPO'ers.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 01:50:03 am »
Way to go BPO!  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 01:35:49 am »
I cannot express honestly the way I feel about all of you.  I have never in my life been the recipient of such support for things that I feel are incredibly important such as my animals.  Most people would laugh at me or at best just look at me like I was a crazy woman.  My family , my husband, my children are equally important, but I feel that our animals are looked at as commodities and less than equal to recieve the devotion , loyalty, and respect that I give my family.  My dogs are a part of my family, they protect and love us, and are equally as deserving of my protection.  I had a very hard day at work, lost a few unfortunately ( I am a nurse) and came home a bit down ( alot down) I checked my mail, and BPO and I cannot even begin to tell you how my spirits were raised after reading your posts , and seeing that the comments were posted to the Pioneer's web site.  I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart...We all do!  Shana
Storm Jameson