Author Topic: What will you do when your big paw crosses the bridge?  (Read 6672 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
What will you do when your big paw crosses the bridge?
« on: December 31, 2005, 10:53:08 pm »
I was having a discussion with my in-laws at dinner tonight about what to do for humans and animals when they die. ( I know great dinner time talk huh?  ;) ) Anyways, we were talking about burial in a pet cemetary, cremation or burial in the backyard. It got me thinking...wha t am I gonna do when my little Cub goes? (FYI- we talked and he said he will be here forever so this is just hypothetical) I think that I want to give him a burial in a pet cemetary so that I can visit him along with other animals that have passed.

What will do you or what have you done for your beloved big paw?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

angelsmama

Re: What will you do when your big paw crosses the bridge?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 11:20:20 pm »
if your kookie i am too then, i go and talk to dotty 2-3 times a day and tell her i miss her.. nothing kookie about it :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 11:20:29 pm »
I, too, would like to bury them in my own backyard.  However, we move around alot, and I hate to think of them being being in a stranger's yard, and that would also nix the pet cemetary as I probably wouldn't be back in the area to visit.

I have though alot about this, as Keiko is getting older.  Mind you, she's only middle aged, but you never know what might happen.  I have a couple of options.  1) cremate and keep the ashes to display or bury when we do have a permanent address.  2) bury them on my parent's property. 3) get her stuffed....... ...just kidding.  My mom used to joke she was going to stuff their cat and place him on the couch when he passed.

I have buried hampsters in the backyard before.  My parent's no longer live at that address, and I have to smile thinking if anyone dug in either garden on the property they would find numerous corpses.

angelsmama

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 11:23:33 pm »
yea we buried dotty and our old chow in the backyard , but we're keeping the house so no worries of moving and leavin snots here not able to visit her

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 11:42:20 pm »
My first post but this one is my life right now so I guess it is a good place to start.  We just buried my best beloved buddy, Thor.  We own our own property and have been here 17 yrs so it is a great option for us.  Two labs and one puppy dog cow are buried on this property out in the pasture under an old oak tree.  Thor is buried between two large pine trees and I'll plant a blue spruce over him this spring.  While we had the backhoe here, we dug 3 holes since we have a lot of old dogs around and winter was coming at that point.  We buried our first Lab a number of years ago in January and it took hours to dig the hole with a backhoe because the ground was so frozen.  At this point, if we dug extra holes now, the rest would survive another year or more.  If we didn't dig while the backhoe was here, we'd be digging again in Jan/Feb.  Unfortunately that is the reality when you live with really old dogs.  The first died unexpectedly at age 11 and it was tough.  Thor was tough too since he was so young and so dear to me.  We had a chocolate Lab die a year or so ago at age 14 who was as healthy as could be up until the day before she died so it was hard to mourn too long.  We just celebrated the long life she had.  Piper is there too at age 13.5.  Every day is a bonus at this point.  Josh and Jesse were farm dogs for 7 years so they are very old 11s and could go at any time as well. 
Daphne

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 12:26:04 am »
I do not think I would be able to bear to see a beloved pet's dead body, so I would have to say cremation. So far in my life I have only lost one pet (we had three cats growing up, and two of them are still going strong in their 20s), and we had her cremated for that reason.
RIP former BPO

Offline Lori81862

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 12:54:47 am »
Hi    I haven't been on for awhile.  Our Daisy passed a little over 3 months ago from osteosercoma. Also today 1-1-06 would have been her 8th birthday. We have Daisy's ashes also our Shar Pei Honey who was almost 17 when we had to help her to the bridge.  We have the ashes in our room.  It may seem weird but they are where they liked to sleep, in our room.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 10:30:50 am »
Rosie's body is about 500 feet out my back door.  One of her special spots to lay and have a pig's ear.  I would not have it any other way.  I visit with her once a day sometimes more.  When I take Dixie & Sugar Bear for a walk around the property we stop to say Hi to Sweet Rosie before we go back in.  My hubby made her a marker out of wood because  she loved to chew his wood when he was working on a project. He engraved her name and some pretty roses on it.  I like that I can look out my office window and see her marker. :'( Time to go visit Rosie.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 10:35:00 am »
We have always opted for cremation. It is illegal to bury anything larger than a hamster in your yard here in the city/burbs of chicago, and the pet cemetaries are outrageous with their maintenance fees and burial costs. I don't keep the ashes either, as I believe the soul/spirit/personality of the creature that I love is gone, and not in the phsycal remains. I do however have every name tag and collar of all my dogs that have passed and keep them as a memorial of Rambo, Rocky and Bandit.
Stella

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 10:43:32 am »
My first doberman, Bianca, died 17 years ago, and we burried her in our yard--our yard at that time, anyway.  Who knew we would move? It still bothers me that she's there and I am here.  Darmok is only 3 right now, but I still am dreading the day that she passes on---I will probably bury her in our yard here.  We had this house built 5 yrs ago, so I think we're gonna be here for a while.
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 01:11:54 pm »
Otis and Lucille were both cremated and they are on bookshelves in our bedroom.  Each Newf has his/her own shelf with collars and photos.  I've told my kids that when I 'cork over' I want to be cremated and 'cuisinarted' with their ashes and then sprinkled wherever they are going to be (probably at our mountain cabin).  I just can't let them go even though I know they are both happily romping at the bridge!  It's just me being selfish because I still miss them daily and it gives me comfort to know that we'll always be together.  When it's Cowboy's and Chester's time to go, I want them in the great ash pile as well!!!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 01:15:15 pm »
This is really something Id rather not think about but.... I know were my Judge would be put to rest. Carole burried Sadie under a tree in their back yard and I know Judge would be happy beside his best friend. He still seems to look for her when we go there.  :'(
 When I was little we had a Collie who we buried on our farm under a tree. The farm was sold years ago but whenever we drive by I think about Lady and her tree.  :'(
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 01:45:28 pm »
This may be an unpopular post but here goes.
When one of the puppers pass we will follow the same course that we followed when our Tazzy passed on this past August.
When our 21 yr old cat, Tazzy left us we had his body cremated but not so we could take his body back home with us.   His body was cremated with others who had left their bodies to pass on.   
My choice on what to do with my pets body after they have left it has a lot to do with my own wishes after I've left my body.   I have asked that my body (after organ donation) be cremated and then scattered to the wind.   

I believe that everyone needs to do what is right for them and I'd never impose my needs on someone else.

This was Tazzy as I remember him best....before the illness.....be fore the old age set in...

« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 01:46:39 pm by my3dogs »
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline bigdoglover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 02:06:17 pm »
i have had 2 dogs die in the last 15 years and we had them both cremated so i can have them with me. i personally wouldn't want to bury them in the yard and then move so for me this is a better option. i will do the same when my beloved lab brandy passes away-and i too want to be cremated when i pass on.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 02:12:58 pm »
I have a beautiful "critter graveyard" out back where all of my fur babies will lay to rest one day...We plan on always living here so that is comforting to me to know when we lay them to rest I will always beable to visit them & tend to their final resting place...We'd lost a very loved guinea pig girl & a kitten that never had a chance at our old place & (morbid as it sounds) my hubby dug up their remains when we moved & reburied them here so all my furry babies could be with us....I have about the circle of life & there is an old majestic tree so, this spring, I intend on planting a young tree & next to the critter garden so it can be nourished by my babies that went on.