Author Topic: What will you do when your big paw crosses the bridge?  (Read 6720 times)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: What will you do when your big paw crosses the bridge?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 02:41:21 pm »
All my pets are currently buried in my backyard, we've lived here since I was 1, and I know that when we move I'll mostly be sad that they are here. I already made it clear to my mom that Maggie is to be cremated and to not leave her at the vet's office. I'd be to hurt if she did that because I want my baby with me. I know it's early to do this but when I die, I want my ashes mixed with Maggie, what can I say she's my heart and soul.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 06:43:24 pm »
I honestly don't know. Of all the animals I've had I've only felt the need to have one with me after she passed away and that was Phoebe - she went, I feel, before her time and it was so sudden. I took her myself to the crematorium, had an individual cremation done and brought her ashes home with me the same day. She's upstairs in the bedroom and for weeks I still felt like she was here and I swore I've felt her jump on and off the bed countless times. She was my once in a lifetime dog and I doubt I'll ever feel as close to another.

My other dogs I have had to take to the vets and have put to sleep. Both were on their last legs, one with cancer and recently Tinker with end stage kidney failure. I stayed with them and felt absolutely no need to have their ashes afterwards. It just didn't seem the right thing to do as I felt like they were ready to leave me, so I donated the money it would have cost to rescue organizations. Even I didn't know for sure what I was going to do with Tinker until it happened.

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 04:05:46 am »
ghosts in the mist,,it is a hard question to anwer!!!but you all know the sound!!! of thier pawscratchs on the door!!! each one distinctive,like the stripes on a ZEBRA!!! I was privilaged to own snowball.a white golden retriever,with the personality,she was a biggg!! dog,and like bear she had a double coat,and she was immune to the cold!!! one day my brother pulled a tick off her head and it developed an abscess which she supoosedly died from,about a week after she was dead,I heard her feet hit the metal strip as clear as day,out of the blue,in the darkness of the night she hit the corridor and I heard that ENOURMAS!!! BODY FLOP,OUTSIDE MY BEDROOM DOOR,SHE LIKED TO SLEEP IN DIFFERENT PLACES!!! MRPUPPY WENT APE!!!!!HER TAIL HIT THE FLOOR IN THOSE 4 WAGS, AFTER SHE TURNED THOSE TWO 2 CIRCLES!!!AND SHE GAVE OUT THAT SIGHHH!!! AND MY BROTHER TOLD ME SHE CRAWLED UNDER HIS BED THE NEXT DAY,WHERE SHE ALWAYS USED TO SLEEP,THAT IS,WHEN SHE WASN'T SLEEPING ON THE BED WITH ME!!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 04:09:24 am by mrpuppy »
bear,14 month old newfie,140 pounds (estimated)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 01:31:13 pm »
Probably cry my eyes out for several weeks.  I'm not in denial that it's never going to happen, but I don't even want to think about it right now.  I'll deal with it when the time comes, but, barring any unexpected diseases or health issues, Drake is still young and has a lot of living to do.  This topic makes me think though that we need to get another Newf sometime soon, because I don't think we could be Newf-less ever again.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Terri

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 01:47:56 pm »
My daughters pit-mix was her first rescue and she brought home this pup the size of a hampster. The parents were eating the pups because they were chained in the back yare with no food. So she bottle fed this pup (who I thought for sure was going to die and he is 6yrs old now) This dog is her heart and soul, she wants to have him stuffed by a taxidermas (sp?) so she will always have him. Sounds wierd to me.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 01:52:24 pm »
I have seen this topic and avoided it until now. I wasn't ready to post on it just yet, as we had to make the awful unexpected decision with Dibby last week. We had Dibby cremated and his ashes spread out. We had the option to take them home but we decided not to as it would be to hard for us. I think when the time comes for Harley and Jolene we will do the same thing for them as well. It's nice because I still feel Dilberts presence here with me and I swear I hear his bark sometimes too  :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 01:18:47 am »
This is really something Id rather not think about but.... I know were my Judge would be put to rest. Carole burried Sadie under a tree in their back yard and I know Judge would be happy beside his best friend. He still seems to look for her when we go there.  :'(
 When I was little we had a Collie who we buried on our farm under a tree. The farm was sold years ago but whenever we drive by I think about Lady and her tree.  :'(
Coonie
I cant immagine the thought of having to bury another one just yet but when Sadie's time came there was no doubt in my mind what I had to do. And that was to have her right here in my back yard near me. I really dont feel that she is out there but she actually feels more like she is right here in the house next to me at all times but her body rests under a big pine tree. My two girls designed a beautiful hand painted cross for her, just as Coonie and I did for our Collie (Lady) when we were kids. I think it plants a permanent memory in their minds and they will never forget her this way!
cuttles

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 10:26:28 am »
That is part of the reason I have two pyrs and will be adding a third.  If I have my say our home will never be Pyrless.  Plus just the joy of watching them play together is worth every bit of work they could ever be.  Ok, just about talked myself into pyr number three, and maybe four.

Lisa

This topic makes me think though that we need to get another Newf sometime soon, because I don't think we could be Newf-less ever again.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)